Who, Who, Who let the bug out!!!!!!

Options
dkg999
dkg999 Posts: 5,647
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I thought I had that upgrade bug under control, however someone must of slipped a new strain into my system that previous financial innoculations didn't make me immune to :eek:

I went shopping and visiting over Memorial Day weekend with the sole purpose of only listening to some new monitor speakers to see if there was something I might consider for my den/office/study system. I really thought that Totem Rainmakers, Epos 12.2, or a set of Spendor monitors might be the ticket. No intention to buy anything, yeah right!!!!! Well after listening to the Rainmakers, a couple of different Spendors, and the Epos ........ the winner was the Paradigm Studio Reference 20's. Sat down on Friday afternoon at Audio Labs in Des Moines to shoot the sh#t with the manager and look around a bit. He had the Paradigms playing and I just really liked the sound and the soundstage. He hooked them up to some mid-fi equipment so I could listen for a while, and unlike the other monitors these sound great and aren't as finicky on set up and positioning. Which will be a definite requirement in a semi-crowded room! On top of that he shot me a great deal so he could fill out his next order to Paradigm. So in a few weeks when I get back to the farm in IA I'll be able to pick them up! Hopefully they will sound as good with my Parasound P/HP-850 pre, HCA-1000a amp, DAC 2000, and Cambridge 640C v1 CDP :)

Now I have to clean out the audio closet! Lots of stuff heading for the flea market over the next few weeks. As much as I hate to part with some of it, I'm going to have to clean house on the spare equipment :mad:
DKG999
HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
Post edited by dkg999 on

Comments

• starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nice Doug... Enjoy!
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The paradigm studio 20 v3s are all over the place a real popular speaker, I've heard them and am impressed with them as well.

Though I loved the sound of the rainmakers so much. For music I think they are just splended. They couldn't handle the movies though when I heard them, just require so much power I think and it was on a receiver tryingto fill a room with sound.

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • dkg999
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The rainmakers are great speakers, and I would be using them for music only. I think my Parasound HCA-1000 is enough power for them. My issues with them are that they are extremely picky on placement, and sound like crap if not placed in the room correctly, they have a very narrow sound stage, and the ones I have come across don't have grills to keep my kids curious fingers at bay. I really like their sound. The Paradigm's kind of took me by surprise, and they are getting very good reviews. Since I own Magnepans as my main 2 ch speakers, you can guess that I like big open sound stages, and the Paradigm's seem to have that, even though they are box speakers.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited May 2006
    Options
    So now you have 2 2-channel systems? Ha

Spoiling yourself. Let us know how they open up in your room. THe 20's are a stylish and good looking speaker that also sounds good.

Enjoy,

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • dkg999
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The main system is:

Magnepan 1.6QR's with Signal Cable double run cables - Mye Stands, cryo'd ceramic fuses
    Parasound HCA-1500A x 2 - vertically biamped - PS Audio Prelude power cables
    Audcom AP-110 tube pre-amp - Signal Cable power cable
    Jolida 100 CDP - Signal Cable digital power cable
    Parasound 1600 tuner
    Signal Cable Analog Two IC's
    Panamax 5100 power conditioner
    Experimenting with a Martin Logan Grotto sub-woofer - not sure I need it yet!

Except for the sub-woofer question, I am real, real happy with this system.
    DKG999

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ain't it funny how you can tell yourself one thing and do another?;) You can only suppress that bug for so long. :D

I'l bet biamped Maggies sound fantastic.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dkg999
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Rich - I have owned a lot of different speakers and other gear over the years, yet never really caught on to how a system should all work together until I started reading this forum! What I love about the current main system is that it is very balanced and all the components seem to really work together and create a synergy. I don't have all that critical of an ear, however this is the best sounding system I have ever had. It makes me smile everytime I sit down and listen to it. Doug.
    DKG999

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nice. Enjoy your new speakers. That dirty little upgrade bug never goes away. Just when you think you're done, it jumps in front of you and grabs you by the balls.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The bug is on the loose! I have it too and probably always will. I think that there is no cure. You just have to roll with it and have fun.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Doug, it wasn't that long ago I had a Yammie receiver and CDP with a pair of Infinity speakers. The ones you have to re-foam every 10 years or so. Lots of audio info out there but this forum has helped me the most.

I recently upgraded IC's and obtained different speakers so I am working on getting that big smile back. The main thing is you enjoy your gear. If your listening tastes change, change your gear. Only way to know if they will change is listen to different gear. Thats sick, isn't it?:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 168
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The bug made me bid on another amp today......it.......won't.....stop........I just hope nobody elses bug outbids mine....:eek:
    SuperDave
    Yamaha RX-V992 (Center,Rears)
    Adcom GFA-5500 (Mains)
    Denon DVD-1920
    Mitsubishi 40" LCD
    DirecTV DVR Whole House
    Polk LSi25 Mains
    Polk LSiC Center
    Infinity RS1 Rears
    Monster THX Cables