Settings

tpeter
tpeter Posts: 65
What do you guys have for settings on your receivers as far as DB for bass? I have mine at like +5 in my onkyo 797, I see on alot of other forums they have theirs set to like -7 and such. IS this because they are using external amps or maybe thats how it should be regardless?
Polk LSi 15
Polk LSi/C
Polk LSi/FX
SVS Ultra
SVS PB3000
Monolith 15 THX
Denon 3700h "switching to Onkyo rz50"
Monolith 7 AMP.
Post edited by tpeter on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    Its a balance between the gain on the sub and the setting as relates to SPL. For me I never like to turn my gain on anything past about 11:00 Oclock. So my PSW 350 is at about 50% gain and my HK sub out is crossed @ 80 hz at about +3 dB from the h/k 520. These settings gave me the 85dB SPl reading.

Hope this helps.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    I'm running mine about -5.5db. Have you calibrated your system using an SPL meter? +5db seems awfully high.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    I always thought that myself but if I turn up the gain on the 350 I see greater that 12dB swings on the meter. I don't know... perhaps the 350 just does not have a stable amp? Just a thought.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • tpeter
    edited October 2002
    I guess i really dont know, Im fairly new to HT stuff and have a semi good system. I will try putting the DB down to 0 and see what it sounds like. right now the bass seems to hit nice and hard but not to much. I believe right now on the back of the sub t have it at 70hz or maybe closer to 65, I just want to pick up those real hard bass hits on the sub and let the 2 eight inch passive subs get the rest on my LSi towers.
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    SVS PB3000
    Monolith 15 THX
    Monolith 7 AMP.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2002
    Tpeter,
    You really need to get the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up Disk (BB or Media Play) or the AVIA disk and calibrate your system properly. Check out the Home Theater Forum for the correction values for calibrating your sub. I know that it will make a world of difference in your HT, it sure did in mine.
    Im fairly new to HT stuff and have a semi good system.

You've got some of the best sounding speakers on the market today!!
  • tpeter
    edited October 2002
    Thanks,
    So i can buy this disk at Best buy or media play? Is this in their CD section and how much does it cost "price dont matter just curious" Or the Avia I am sure i have to order this one.
    Regardless of what I get to setup the speakers and sub, I am still in the dilemma of the SPL meter that i cant set it to 75 but only 70 or 80.

Thanks for all your help
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    SVS PB3000
    Monolith 15 THX
    Monolith 7 AMP.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2002
    You'll find it in the DVD area, I paid $20. The Avia disk costs $40 online, matter of fact you can order it from the Polk store.

http://shop.polkaudio.com/customer/product.php?productid=41&cat=6&page=1

Here's another link for one of the many threads I've found regarding calibration.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96074&highlight=volume

If it helps, I set my meter to 80db when calibrating my speakers. I believe that your receiver is Thx certified so make sure that you read your manual regarding proper calibration, I, not sure if you have the option to set a peak bass level or not.

I always calibrate my stuff in the "Manual" mode vs. "Auto" this allows me more time to watch the meter for each speaker and make adjustments as needed.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    If you are talking about the bass management in the reciever for the LFE - I also noticed that people often have 0 db to minus setting. I have always have had powerful sub's and my db is always at least plus 5db and sub at half volume. The recievers internal white noise set is going to be just as good as any setup disc - just a matter of achieveing the spl u want.
    If you are talking about simple treble and bass setting for speakers - that is just personal taste.
    ;)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by tpeter
    What do you guys have for settings on your receivers as far as DB for bass? I have mine at like +5 in my onkyo 797, I see on alot of other forums they have theirs set to like -7 and such. IS this because they are using external amps or maybe thats how it should be regardless?

I think most brands of receivers are different. I have my sub set to -7 to -2 on the receiver.. and that is more than enough bass for me. In most cases a DVD will have more bass for instance than a CD.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: