big speakers vs small

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Okay, I've tried to think of a way to do this, and I figure I should just be honest.

I'm trying to write something for the next newspaper about the new RTi150 speakers. It's a big speaker. It's a big, multidriver rock and roll speaker like Polk used ta make. It rocks. I need to know, is this something you want? I need customers or Polk fans to actually say stuff I can quote about how big rocking speakers.... rock, I guess.

What can you all say about big speakers? Big classic Polks, or this new big speaker. Has anyone heard the RTi150? What can you say?

Micah
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2002
    No, I haven't heard the RT150i, but I can give you my general thoughts on big vs. small. My desires have changed as my life and musical tastes have changed. In college, when we wanted to rock LOUD, and we had parties, bigger and louder and more slam was better. We also didn't mind our entire living space centered around the stereo system, so large size was fine.

When my listening habits changed to more refined music, sitting around listening as I read a book or played with my kids, then I desired a more accurate, refined sound. Also, as my life 'opened up' beyond college, I couldn't always layout my living space to center on the stereo.. so smaller speakers were sometimes better. My Polk Monitor 7Cs were the compromise.. large bookshelf speakers that could still rock and slam when I needed.. but a refined accurate speaker as well. Since then, all speaker purchases have been smaller Polks, often with physical size a big factor, but still looking for that balance between adequate bass for refined listening but the ability to crank it out occasionally.

Nowadays, I'd balk at a very large speaker for three reasons... limited placement options, inability to move it easily if needed, and whether I could keep it away from tiny fingers waving or throwing sharp objects that do bad things to speaker grills and cones. It'll be a long time before I buy a speaker that I can't situate in a way that keeps drivers several feet off the ground.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Now we have good posts on ONE topic, yet across multiple forums again???

Micah must THRIVE on chaos, how about 1 post with ALL our comments....

Sheesh, maddening I tell ya....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2002
    Big speakers are great, full range of sound, deep bass, great power handling abilities, look great standing tall in your room.

The RT150i is not that big of a speaker, it maintains a narrow 8 ¼” wide front baffle, and only 14 inches deep, at 48” it is taller than some of speakers out there.

I like the personality of this speaker, 500watts, no power cord, just might be a great speaker. I can’t wait to see the 250i and 350i those monsters will be killer.

I need to hear the 150i soon.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    I too feel like burdette, I want a more refined sound. I listen to
    Jazz most of the time. I don't need a speaker the size of the SDA-SRS, but I like something the SDA-2 size. With true stereo sound.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    Please send a set to my house so I can demo them for...OH...a few years...

my .02 - if you desire the big bass, a bookshelf + sub will never blend like a large speak. For moderate listening levels bookshelf size are fine. Nothing like the Cars for background homework music.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited October 2002
    BOSE CUBES - vs ...lets see nething...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    When I saw the rt150 I was very excited. Since I have plenty of sub sound in my HT I want to get away from my powered rt1000's - add a more powerful amp and if I get the money I will definately buy this speaker. Mostly because it will match the rest of my rt line. Seems like a great speaker for a large HT and 2ch lovers alike. I am not into the comtemperory jazz thing much and love the big modern rock metal sound. A powerful speaker like this - mated with a strong clean amp is what I am looking for and until now there was nothing in the rt line that could achieve heavy volume like this. The bass should be quicker and more dynamic. Hey, just send me a pair to play around with for awhile and I could tell ya more. Heee! Heee!
    I can’t wait to see the 250i and 350i those monsters will be killer.
    Is this true - even bigger none powered speakers modeled after the rt line. WOW! That sounds exciting.:D
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited October 2002
    Micah, how do you feel the RTi150 will stack up against the LSi15 for rock music, since they are very close in price? Thanks in advance.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Having never heard either, but simply looking at the construction, components and design, I'd go with the LSi15 for about the same money. I'd rather have 2 smaller mid-bass speakers, vs 1 larger, I think the midrange definition, and clarity would be noticeably improved.

I also think with LSi ring-radiator tweet going out FAR beyond the realm of human hearing (esp on the new DVD-A/SACD formats) will allow you to hear harmonics in certain recordings that the tri-lam simply cannot produce.

I'm also going to assume that the cab contruction is a little better in the LSi line, but then again, for a frat-house, crank up the 'Disturbed' ;) type speaker, perhaps the 150 would server better.....

I'm willing to bet the 150 is a great speaker, and being un-employed, I'll go demo this it this next week. Maybe I'll bring a pair home just for fun and yuks, and return it later. However, I still think given the choice, within a couple Franklins, LSi, no question.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited October 2002
    Well.
    I really don't have the desire to go on a listening quest.The rti150's look nice.And without the powered tower design,It would have been a speaker I would have listened to.But the fact is that the dealers around here are hard to demo.

As far as big speaker vs little speaker.....the market is looking for the little speaker.I was looking for the accurate speaker.......found it...lsi 15's.I don't care for a rock and roll speaker..I feel as other do, that's in the past for me.Yes I still listen to heavy stuff once in awhile but my main music is Jazz,and Female voice.......Lorenna Mckenitt.I like laid back music now that I'm more seasoned,older if you will.The Lsi's have a level of sonic detail that the rt line just can't acomplish.The price point where they come in at even without hearing them, I can just about tell you that the Lsi line will dominate in clarity,detail, Imaging,clarity,warmth,beauty,grace,etc etc etc.Rt is a nice line but that tweeter as much as you guys rework, just doesn't have that level.

I think there will be a market for them, there is a market for all kinds of speakers.....just have to find the right speaker for the right person.For me the Lsi 15's do just that.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    I am now really curious about the RTi150.

Since I've gotten my LSi15's I have been very impressed with most of the music I have put through em, but I am somewhat dissappointed when I listen to rock and harder rock/metal. Not because the speakers are bad, but because they show the true face of most rock recordings which often have a lot of distortion, filtering, and processing.

If the RTi150 had been out when I was getting my demo on, I think it would have made a big difference in my decision.

This is not saying that I'm not happy with the LSi15's, just that I don't enjoy listening to Rock and/or metal on them. :)

I guess I'll just have to get some RTi150's for the bedroom. heheheh
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited October 2002
    I haven't listened to the new 150's yet. I have heard and own large speakers. In my opinion, a large speaker just has an effortless manner to it that lets you sit back, relax, and take in all the music. Your not worried if your sub is perfectly blended with the bottom end of your mids because you don't need one. It is absolutely smooth and coherent from top to bottom.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    First off, I'm a tower guy through and through! Big speakers will always equal big sound! Unfortunatly a lot of the "Big" speakers out there seem to lack clarity and detail in their reprodution. Big is great for bass but the mids and highs have to be just as prominent. If I wanted just bass I'd ride around in a Hyundai low rider with a bunch of half deaf juveniles!

I have not heard the rt150's and probably won't audition them anytime soon. I 've got Lsi's, you can't get any better than that in my book!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2002
    Hey Micah,
    If a person from this forum gets quoted in your upcomming expose`.....do they get any freebie's? Hats, golf tees, mugs, sticky notes, old paper clips, Barney video's on VHS, etc?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    Wow Deju Vu!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited October 2002
    Having never heard either, but simply looking at the construction, components and design, I'd go with the LSi15 for about the same money.

maybe you should listen with your ears instead of your eyes..:lol:
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Isn't that what Ive been talking about all these years??????

Good call tony27!!!:lol:
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Even though I have no intrest in buying them, I think I will go out and try to get a good demo........I now want to listen to them.I will report back with my findings.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Boy, I can't WAIT for your findings....

Make sure you use a Pioneer receiver, or some such, since the RTi series does not warrant seperates...

On a side note, I only see 1 spelling error in that last post, good job man! You almost nailed that one. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Dan, did you guys ever get to demo those DQ-10's?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2002
    Sorry for the CHAOS of multiple posts in the various forums. Who knows who reads what, eh?

You'll get nothing for your quotes and like it. But you are saying great stuff, guys. This is the kind of cool stuff the I like to forward around the upper management. Except that they don't take my emails -- it's always "deleted without reading." Hmmmm.

I think the pizza is repeating on me.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2002
    If I get quoted without some kind of reward I'm going to kidnap Mathew Polk when he shows up in Colorado Springs, and tattoo "BOSE RULES!!" on his forehead and duct tape him to Micah's TV.....I MEAN IT!!! Gimme free stuff or I'll go postal!!
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    If I get quoted without some kind of reward I'm going to kidnap Mathew Polk when he shows up in Colorado Springs, and tattoo "BOSE RULES!!" on his forehead and duct tape him to Micah's TV.....I MEAN IT!!! Gimme free stuff or I'll go postal!!

There should at least be a friggen keychain or sticker in the box with any LSi purchase. :p
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Russ,
    your my spell checker now.....cool.And whats wrong with demoing with a Pioneer Elite reference receiver????Last I checked it was considered on of the very best on the market.So demoing with reference receiver's isn't good enough?Well If I travel to CC I don't even get a choice.Let's see...regular Pioneer...no....HK...no....Onkyo.....no...Sony....no...Kenwood....no.......**** dude what should I use if I go there???Bring my own?

Troy,
    I never got to hear them ,just saw them at Mikes shop.They where sold, he put the new drivers in and the customer picked them up.......I was so looking forward to a demo.But Mike said he gets them in alot so the next pair that comes around he'll call us.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Actually, if you felt comfortable bringing your Rotel combo, I would.

And its you're, as in 'you are'. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Did he rebuild the original Advents or install a different 10" driver?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    He installed reconditioned Advent drivers.They where the orginals redone.The speakers where in good shape with a tweed camel color.He also had the stands,I asume they where the correct stands as they fit on the perfect.They where oak.

Russ,
    now your my personal english tutor.......what will you think of next.....thanks for the support.
    Dan
  • jeberhart
    jeberhart Posts: 69
    edited October 2002
    Haven't heard the 150s you're talking about, but the general answer to your question: When it comes to speakers, I may be a dinosaur, but I still think size matters. True, new speakers are supposed to be more efficient, but that only goes so far. There is nothing, but nothing, like a large driver working inside a big cabinet...geez, I'm starting to turn myself on with this post! Anyway, I just don't completely buy the theory that smaller can be better. As for clarity of sound, whoever said you CAN'T have that along with earth-shaking performance? This is partly why I've held onto my Monitor 10Bs all these years despite my wife's occasional complaints about the space they consume. And I have to tell you that while I've added newer, smaller Polks as my system has evolved into multichannel, it still makes me cringe everytime I have to reconnect a wire or something and end up eyballing a PORT. OK, I know they're supposed to be better designed, better tuned, better executed...but they are still PORTS, and back in the bad old 1980s, no one I knew wanted anything to do with them. Sealed cabinets all the way. Even that darned PSW450 I've grown to respect as it has pummeled my AV room has ports. One last rant: On a more extreme note, my wife and I managed to burn up our Amex card so much over the last year or two that we racked up enough "Membership Rewards" points to get a free Bose Wave Radio/CD. Yeah, it's a nice unit. Yeah, it sounds good. But I don't have to use anything but my ears to know that the Bose is playing instead of the monster with all its wires and woofers, even if said monster's volume is turned down low. There's something inherently fake about the sound of all that Bose acoustic trickery. Don't get me wrong -- it's a neat trick. But the bottom line is this, and I confess I borrowed it from Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh: You want good sound? You gotta move some AIR.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2002
    An off the wall suggestion. To my mind, the RT55i's were great rock 'n roll bookshelfs. One marketing angle for the new towers would be to tell folks that if they liked the RT55i's, maybe they could move up to the towers & move the RT55i's to rear surround. And then level their residence playing Led Zep in surround. Or just 2-ch. Of course, some power would be needed for this. So if they were relying on the high sensitivity of the RT55i's to get high volume from low power, maybe they should upgrade their amplification. At which point the hardcore audio folks in here would be more than glad to offer suggestions. See how it could all work out?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing