HELP with connections....

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
I mentioned that my sis bought a pair of 5jr+ off the forum here... she also picked up a DD receiver and a Kenwood DVD/CD changer. I'm trying to help her with all this stuff long distance.. she isn't audio/video savy...

So, question... with a combination DVD/CD changer... what connections will be necessary? Will a digital coax cable for the DVD also carry the CD signal so that she'd listen to CDs on the same setting (Video 1 or whatever)?? Could you use one digital out for the DVD section, hooked to Video 1, and the optical digital out for the CD and hook that to CD?

The player has component video out, video out, S-video out, audio out, one coax digital out and one optical out.

Thanks. All her stuff has arrived, although she hasn't taken a thing out of the boxes yet... ****.. women.. I told her I would have taken off work early any day ANYTHING arrived, and she sits there with new speakers, receiver, and DVD player still in their boxes!! I was talking to her on the phone this week and "made" her open the receiver box to look at it!! I asked her how the speakers looked and she said "well, they're in there, the tops look nice."
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    I would just go with the optical out on the dvd to optical on the Kenwood audio. The PCM stream should be good for both the dvd and cd as is with my Cal Audio. Some would say to use the digital coax but I have my reservations about that.

On the Vidio side if your sisters TV has component then use it and if not then use the S-Vidio. You have a choice if you want to use the switching capabilities of the Kenwood or just go direct. If you use the Kenwood as a switch then you'll need 2 lines, 1 from the DVD to the Kenwood then 1 to the TV.

I hope this answers your Q.

HBomb

Oh, How about that Beer? Our Engineering team likes to get together for cold1's and would enjoy meeting you.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the info. I checked a couple of other resources and got the same information, so I think I can get her through it.

As for beer, you'll have to just occasionally let me know when you're going. Between my schedule and my wife's, I usually end up with only 1-2 evenings per week free.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    I'm glad I was able to help. I understand about the family thing having a 2 year old. Just let us know when a good time is and we can take it from there.

Should prove fun!
    ***WAREMTAE***