SDA-1C studios version w/upgrades for sale

Options
francis1967
francis1967 Posts: 161
edited May 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Selling $275 pick-up or $250 plus shipping and packaging.

I recently bought this great condition pair of modded SDA-1C's from SIG-1 in AZ. See below for what SIG-1 wrote in his ad. They look good (SIGs rating of 7 is very safe and speaks have been seen by other Polkies too..) and probably sound great, but I just can't get used to the sound of SDA technology. I had never heard SDA before this and it'll turn out to be an expensive audition for me. Have tried all kinds of placements and different amplification, but to me they sound best when the Polk cable is disconnected. :eek: I know this is probably herecy here on the board, but I can't help feeling what I feel. Don't rass me for this, please. We all have our own taste and the newer Polk products are sweeter to my ears.

Since they are made for SDA listening, their greatness will go wasted on me, and are going up for quick sale. They were supposed to be my mains and not being what I want, I am a guy that want to fix things to my liking asap. Anything else makes me lose sleep. Seriously...

That's why I am going to sell these at a great price. I paid $350 and from what I understand, this was a low price. I want $250 and willing to take a hit, but I know this is necessary so that polkies outside my region can buy them and not get skinned due to high shipping costs. To give anyone an idea of the travel time if they want to pick up here are some estimates according to AAA:

Phoenix 1hr30min
Las Vegas 3hrs15min
Los Angeles 5hrs30min
Denver 11hrs
San Diego 6hrs15min
Salt Lake City 7hrs45min
Roswell Area 51 11hrs15min

IF they don't sell here in, they will be going on the bay and probably fetch more money, but that takes time and time is of the essense to me.

SIG-1's ad:
Here they are. I'm gonna put my SDA 1c's up for sale. I'm wanting a source upgrade and I decided someone else needs to be enjoying these pups. The left S/N is 10521. I believe these are pretty late SDA's made in '88 or '89.

Cosmetically, they are probably only like a 7 at best. There's nothing major, just enough little things to add up. I'll post pictures later to show.

Sonically, they are steaksauce (A1). I have upgraded the binding posts to some Vampires. I also added bucking magnets (from Polk and per Ken's instructions and specs) to all drivers for much safer use near tube TV's, say within 6 inches. All they need are the tweeter upgrades for some even more serious tuneage.

I'd like to get $350 for them. I realize these big items so I'm hoping to unload them in Tucson, Phoenix, or similar distance. If anyone in SoKal wants them, for an additional fee for gas and lunch, I'd be willing to meet you in Yuma.

Steveinaz, BIZILL, and slzheppy (sp) have all seen these and can vouch.
Post edited by francis1967 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nice offer...

Have to say, however, that I am a tad puzzled as to why the local p/u price would be higher. Most sellers would consider avoiding the hastle of crating up a pair this size to be a blessing.... or two...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Michael is good to work with. Our transaction went (mostly) smoothly. Things beyond his control, so no worries.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • francis1967
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The logic behind my lower price for buyers far away was basically to help with the shipping cost with $25 which basically makes for identical sell price in my mind regardless. I understand your point and it could be a little confusing, my setup, that is, so I will just say $275 for the speaks. Perhaps the buyer and I will come to some arrangement with regards to shipping and splitting this cost in some way.

However, the speakers are pending a sale for some more money locally and is expected and required to close by Monday evening.

I am surprised there has been so little interest in them here. Reading around, they are ranked as top-three all-time here by you polkies and no-one wants them at this price? Well, maybe I should be thanking you since they can fetch considerably more on Ebay with the right buyers.

One bump...going going...gone?
  • francis1967
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Our plans were to grab some grub at our rendezvous place, but darn weekend traffic in Phoenix spoiled the party. SIG and I just barely got time to shake hands and transfer speaks to my car before SIG had to rush to a very important event and I am glad he took a chance on waiting for me, being with traffic n' all to where he was going. Good chap.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I am surprised there has been so little interest in them here.

Me too!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Me too!

You are not the only one,I've got two pairs in beautiful condition that I do not seem to be able to do anything with,there are worse things though :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Geez...1Cs for under $300!!!!! Are ya'll losing it????

This seems like a no-brainer, imo.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2006
    Options
    wish I had money
  • francis1967
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Well, there is a polkie that called me today, but I don't remember his name and I don't have his number or his email....geez, I even had his initial email deleted.

The last thing we agreed on was that he would post here, or send me a PM, to confirm that he wanted them.

Whoever you are...please let yourself be known :-) or just send me a PM like we agreed.

I will wait 24 hours for you. I hope you still subscribe to this threat...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I will wait 24 hours for you. I hope you still subscribe to this threat...

that is a threat IMHO :p;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ND13
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It's still amazing to me that these aren't sold. I've seen 1Cs go for over twice this price. I understand they are the studios, but still.....
  • francis1967
    edited May 2006
    Options
    :D what a terrible typo I had in my previous reply here :eek: :D
    Of course I meant "thread" and NOT "threat"....geez. Gotta get glasses or more sleep or both.

Anyway, these didn't sell. Wow, must be the season (tax season..).

Sorry, guys/gals...I need these sold, so going on Ebay instead.

Thanks though.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Come on people, these are great speakers at a effing steal of a price!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ND13
    edited May 2006
    Options
    This time last year, a set of 1Cs wouldn't have lasted a few hours in this FM and at twice the price.
    What....has everybody got their SDAs now???
  • george daniel
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Tell me,,I', going to e-bay with Three sets, 2 pair 1C's and a pair of SRS 2's:confused:
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'll Take em pm me and I'll give you an address to mail them to. I'll take all of them. don't worry, I don't have the money for them, So just ship em' and hey will never bother you again. JK, If I had the money I would be all over them. I'm suprised they have lasted this long. I guess good luck on the bay.

p.s. I know why they have not sold. Price of gas eats up audio money.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2006
    Options
    maybe hold off on selling them for a month or two... someone will be looking for some eventually, i know it always happens that way.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • george daniel
    edited May 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    maybe hold off on selling them for a month or two... someone will be looking for some eventually, i know it always happens that way.

I'm sure that you are correct,,however,patience is NOT one of my finer points,but I will wait a few weeks,as I really would rather keep them in the family. There are worse things :):)
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Any idea on what packaging costs would be??

They'd almost have to be double boxed, meaning bubblewrap the entire speaker including top and bottom, then box tightly. Then, bubblewrap the inner box and rebox tightly.

If you could get a quote for doing something like that or have the number of someone locally there, I'd take them. Bax global will pick them up and palletize the boxes standing upright and ship for about $125 from Arizona to Chicago.
    Problem is, I don't think they do any actual packaging.

I've wanted a pair of 1C's but none have ever come up locally. Noone has ever really been interested in packaging/shipping either.

Let me know via pm or email :)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2006
    Options
    you have to have a commercial account to use bax.. ran into this problem trying to sell my SVS,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited May 2006
    Options
    faster100 wrote:
    you have to have a commercial account to use bax.. ran into this problem trying to sell my SVS,

Nah, I've used BAX before. I got my Innersound speakers using them. They picked up at a guy's house in Michigan and delivered it to me in Chicago. There's different rates and pages you have to use if you are not a commercial acct.
  • francis1967
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I checked local shippers and no-one seems to be interested in doing packaging and not shipping. Local shipper wants $550-$600 to ship to Chicago, so obviously it's just his way of saying that he really doesn't want the business.
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Darn, I want these :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think the lack of interest is due to fuel prices myself, I love road trips but crap, I would have to take a second mortgage to afford the 28 hours round-trip.

I swear the other night I heard my 4004 MKII chanting "1C's, 1C's, 1C's" in my sleep...:rolleyes:

I'll see what I can do....
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I really hope your ebay bidder comes through. If not, consider these sold. I live in Chandler and could pick them up this weekend.