Received my LSi speakers

Jimmie
Jimmie Posts: 103
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I finally got my speakers yesterday. I have been in the garage Taking them out of the boxes and all the styrofoam.
First impressions: The 15's are beautiful. I was not sure about the black wood panels but they are not pure black. I do not know what to call it except maybe a cherry black. The same goes for the 9's. These are without a doubt the best looking speakers I have owned. The center and the fx's are also nice looking with the high gloss mirrow finish on them. The wife also likes the looks of these.
I did not have a chance to see the fx's before I bought them and was surprised at their size even though I had read the spects on them. They will go on the side walls and I am hoping they won't be to imposing.
I will post more about the sound after I get everything connected and some breakin time on them.

System:
LSi 15's...front
LSiC ...center
LSiFx ....ss
LSi9's ....back's
PSW 650.. sub
ATi 1505 amp. 5 channel
parasound HCA 1000a 2 channel
Pioneer elite VSX36TX receiver
Mit's wt46805 hdtv
zenith dtv1080 hd receiver
Cheap pioneer dvd player( recomend a new one)

Jimmie
Post edited by Jimmie on

Comments

• TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited October 2002
    "Cheap pioneer dvd player( recomend a new one)"

Panasonic RP-82 (~$200)

The RP-82 has an excellent DVD decoder with the Big "F" de-interlacing, multi-channel DVD-audio decoding and CD 16/44.1 upsampling to 24/88.2.

Sounds really good with my LSi speaker system.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Cool! You"re going to love the sound!! Don't forget to calibrate!!

Pictures Man!!! We need pictures!!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the dvd player tip Cliff. I will do a search on it when I leave here and read the particulars. After what i've spent the price looks good.

Frank, I will post pictures when I figure out how to do it. I don't have a digital camera but I have access to one. I do have a camera that takes excellent pics and scan just like the real thing. If I put the pics in a file can I then post here? Thanks.

Jimmie
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    Jimmy

where did you get your LSi from and if you don't mind, how much did you pay for them? Thanks...
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited October 2002
    Pioneer Elite dv-47a or the cheaper unit DV-45A
    DVD-A and SACD Playback...
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2002
    I had a choice to decide between the Pioneer 47A and the 38A 6 months ago, I ended up with the 38A, It was a great DVD player, I play DVD-A also, not the SACD, the 38A is a better quality built than the 47a, it has the side wood panel that match everything I had and it's also heavy compare to most of other DVD in its class and it's also THX certitied for the video.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited October 2002
    Jimmie,

The wood is ebony, it's not really black, kinda grey/brown/black.
    Enjoy!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    i think Pioneer is going to release a 47Ai? Have you seen it?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited October 2002
    good going jimmy, you are going to love the lsi-line,and welcome to the forum.
    i would love to have a set of the lsi-9
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    Sweet setup man! Congrats and enjoy!!!!!!!:)
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Peter,
    I bought these from a online company. They will tell you up front that polk will not warranty these if you buy from them, however, they will themselves offer the same warranty that Polk does. I received these in perfect condition in every way. Everything was plastic wrapped on a pallet and the boxes were factory packed with all manuals and boots enclosed. I have built 2 sets of speakers and I know If I need to I can replace anything in these speakers for less than 500.00. Probably much less. For the difference in money I will take my chances. Email me and I will send the companies name so you can take a look at their prices.

Jimmie
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2002
    I can replace anything in these speakers for less than 500.00. Probably much less. For the difference in money I will take my chances.
    You think just like me. I have preached this theory before.
    Bottom line - your getting QUALITY product at a much better price.
    Cutting the middleman - thanks to the internet.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited October 2002
    Great setup Jimmie. How do you find the size of the Lsi9 ? Plan on picking these up and wondering what kind of stand to go for.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited October 2002
    Got to wonder how unauthorized internet dealers get LSi speakers at such low prices.

Do authorized dealers buy large quantities to get lower prices and then dump the excess on the internet?

OR

Does Polk Audio dump QC rejects through unauthorized internet dealers?
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by TheGrayGhost

Does Polk Audio dump QC rejects through unauthorized internet dealers?

Good one. Or, do these speakers even see the Polk Audio facilities - or are they 'pirated' versions assembled in the wee hours of the night by asian workers trying to make some spare cash?

Who knows, and who knows how good the customer service is from online retailers with their warrantys. If anyone has any experiences, I'd like to hear them.

I paid a little extra for my LSi's, cuz i know if I had a problem that I would have a crossover, driver, or other fix at my door in 24/48 hours 99% of the time.

Curious: Jimmy, do your LSi's have serial numbers on them?
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2002
    It is simply what dealers get for the product. Almost always 50% less than what authorized dealers sell for. The return for being an AD is the money put in there pockets. AD have to buy very high quanites and go through the process of being "choosen" as such. The mark up on AV equipment is like jewlery. Jacked up. That is why discontinued products are so cheap and they are still making a profit.
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    My lsi's do have serial numbers on them. Now, I cannot say that they are the original numbers or if they are numbers put on so the seller can identify them. The numbers start with the speaker then end with several other numbers. For example lsi15----., or lsifx----. It would be very difficult for anyone to convince me that these are anything but new speakers. I cannot find any flaws on them whatsoever. I understand there are those that are more comfortable buying from the authorized dealer and will therfore pay more for the speakers for the piece of mind they have with the warranty. I think if these companies were offering defective products calling them new Polk would have an army of lawyer's all over them. I think that would be fraud,wouldn't it? I mean, here they are being shipped in polk boxes, with polk manuals and polk logo's on them but all polk does is recomend you not buy from them but buy from whom they say to buy from. If they are not authorized dealers why doesn't polk go after them? I am not trying to stir anything up, I just cannot see paying a lot more for a speaker I listened to in tweeter's that looked and sounded Identical to the one's I bought.

Jimmie
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2002
    They are the real thing and it is not against the law to be an unauthorized dealer. It is what ebay is all about for example.
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2002
    Jimmie,
    I got mine the same way and saved a bundle. I'd do it again in heart beat!
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    So would I. I just cannot pay 1/3 more for the same product.

Jimmie
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    I like getting things from authorized dealers. I just think you need to negotiate a fair price or get a clearance deal on a demo or old model. Fry's has been great for getting old models cheep. The RM6000 is $249 last time I checked. When I build my HT system I got most all of the items from Circut City and got them to give the HK amp at cost with the speakers. I furthur asked for and got 1 year free interest and payments. Time value of money thing. I would never want to support theft from Polk.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by jdavy
    I like getting things from authorized dealers. I just think you need to negotiate a fair price or get a clearance deal on a demo or old model. Fry's has been great for getting old models cheep. The RM6000 is $249 last time I checked. When I build my HT system I got most all of the items from Circut City and got them to give the HK amp at cost with the speakers. I furthur asked for and got 1 year free interest and payments. Time value of money thing. I would never want to support theft from Polk.

Very true, but try doing that with the LSi line. It's darn near impossible. :D
  • Jimmie
    edited October 2002
    Oh my God!!!! I never even looked at it as stealing. I hope Polk doesn't prosecute. I would hate to be dragged in to court for "BUYING FROM AN UNAUTHORIZED DEALER". I lost my mind and did it knowing I owe complete loyalty to Polk. But then I came to my senses and thought, why the hell do owe Polk loyalty. I mean really, what have they ever done for me. They will do for me if I pay them more for speakers than I can get them elsewhere but hey, anybody in business will do the same thing. So what's going on here with the "cannot support theft from polk" comment. Someone has their head in a vice and Polk has control of the screw. I work hard for my money and if I can save 1500.00 on a set of speakers you better bet your sweet **** I am going to do it. Call it what you want but it is anything but theft. If there is any theft going on it is big business over charging the average everyday working person.

Jimmie
  • Frank Z
    edited October 2002
    I would never want to support theft from Polk.

Theft, What theft? I don't recall seeing anthing on the news about a massive break-in or "Speaker Jacking" at the Polk warehouse!

You are really off base on this one! My speakers were not stolen and then sold through a "Fence!" I purchased from someone with a lower mark-up, that does not make anyone a criminal! Polk got their cut! Your comment is just plain wrong! Internet sales are a great way to save a bunch of money, of course there are always risks involved so anyone considering this type of purchase should do their homework before spending anything.

As for saving $1500, hell I saved almost $2000 as compared to what the local guys wanted! And they did not even stock the speakers that I wanted. I would have had to wait longer than I did by purchasing off the net.

I prevented a THEFT!!