An Insomnia Attack!

Options
HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Its end of the quarter for me and a bunch of nonsense has been going on which has led me into an exhaustive state and can't sleep. While the famaliy is tucked away I began **** around with Speaker placement and came up with a crazy idea.

I have Ran my RTA 8T's in parallel with my 800i's for my left and right. The 800i's are 10 ft apart and 6 inches in fron of the RPTV and the RTA8T's are 6 inches away and in the front of the 800i's.

It seams to me that the sweet spot was nearly doubled and now I can't hardy tell the difference whether or not the Center channel, 400i, is off when in Stereo mode.

Am I off my rocker over here? What have I actually accomplished with this configuration? :lol:
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• Chief CW4
    Chief CW4 Posts: 8
    edited September 2002
    Options
    You made it loud, VERY, VERY LOUD!
    Karl
    Karl
    Jeff City, MO
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I stacked my mains and got a wider front stage but it will change your ohms. Parallel will give 4ohms I think - did not want to put that stress on the Onkyo. So i put them in series.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    So i put them in series.

How exactly do you do that? I could do that with my RT16's and a pair of RT12's that I got......could be fun. :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Did you try different placements with one set of speakers? With proper placement, you shouldn't be able to tell your center is off in stereo, even with only one set of speakers. My 800i's have a very strong center image and it's hard to believe my CSi40 is off in stereo mode until you walk right up to the speaker.

Did the sound quality improve with your setup? I keep thinking that there would be some problems with the phase.

Maurice
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    Options
    The 800i's do image so good that I could hardly tell the difference if the center speaker was on or off BUT when I added the RTA8T's it just seamed to enhance that image all the more. Like I said it was late and could not sleep and was just **** around but damn I think I'm going to leave it that way.

Sometimes the blind squirrel does find a nut! or something like that.

Just a note on speaker position... I'm the type that measures everything and the speakers have to be symetric in all ways or I'll just go nuts looking at it. but this little quirk of mine does leed to some benefits.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2002
    Options
    That's right! I also have to have them angled right and it pisses me off when one speaker doesn't look right. I once spent 3 hrs straight finding the right placement.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the set up. I should try it one day with my RT5's beside the 800i's.

Maurice
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I have done the same by stacking my rti55. I have tried different configurations with them, and all of them sound better then just playing one set. I have tried them like Boses were one set is pointed toward the outside wall and the second set toed inward. This gives the largest stage with a focused center, but I can't pin point the instruments they all kind of blend together.
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Janusch, I have a pair of bose in my Bedroom and your right about localization. Very hard to do with Bose.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***