5 Jr

Options
Anovus
Anovus Posts: 4
edited May 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I bought a pair of Monitor 5 Jr's in the early 90's. Dome Tweeter. 6 1/2 " midrange. 6 1/2 " passive radiator. Cabinet measures 19 1/2 by 9 by 9 inches.

I bought a second pair on ebay to fill out my surround system. They are identical to my original pair.

I just bought a pair of 5 JR, Monitor Series 2 on ebay. Will they have the same specs, crossovers, etc.?

I want to get an identical match.

Anyone have any wisdom here? Would sure appreciate it!
Post edited by Anovus on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I have info on the 5jr+ and 5jr+ Series 2 as follows:
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
    And these specs for the 5jr+.
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Anovus wrote:
    I just bought a pair of 5 JR, Monitor Series 2 on ebay. Will they have the same specs, crossovers, etc.?

Are they identical?
    No.

Will they sound the same?
    Probably close but not identcal. Your ears will tell you if it's a difference you can live with or not.

BTW: Welcome to the Forums!:)
  • Anovus
    edited February 2006
    Options
    BobMcG,

Thanks! The info you provided is gold!
  • Anovus
    edited February 2006
    Options
    BTW,

Is there any difference between 5 Jr and 5 Jr+?

I've always been confused by that.
  • BobMcG
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Anovus wrote:
    BTW,

Is there any difference between 5 Jr and 5 Jr+?

I've always been confused by that.

Without digging through all my files I don't remember the plain 5jr right off-hand but it may have been that the "+" part of the jr came into being with the introduction of the SL2000 tweeter.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ^^^
    I think the early 5Jr did not have a passive radiator, just a single 6.5 and either the SL1000 or SL2000. Later versions added the 6.5" PR, and I think Polk finally started calling it the JR+ to avoid confusion with the earliest 5Jr.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Maybe someone could quickly tell me what dates (approx) the original Monitor series and Monitor series 2 were built. My bro is looking at a pair of Monitor 5 jr+ series 2 w/ sl2500 tweet for his bedroom system. I tried to do a search, but there are about 200 threads if you use the word "Monitor". I'm guessing around 1992 is when they made the Monitor series 2.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    billbillw wrote:
    ^^^
    I think the early 5Jr did not have a passive radiator, just a single 6.5 and either the SL1000 or SL2000. Later versions added the 6.5" PR, and I think Polk finally started calling it the JR+ to avoid confusion with the earliest 5Jr.

No...I don't think so. the "+" desination was for tweeter updates. The 5jr always was a 6.5 driver and 6.5 passive. The 5b was a 6.5 driver and 8" passive. It is possible very very early versions were different, but I'm pretty sure I have it correct.

The Monitor 4 and its iterations had no PR just a port.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited February 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    No...I don't think so. the "+" desination was for tweeter updates. The 5jr always was a 6.5 driver and 6.5 passive. The 5b was a 6.5 driver and 8" passive. It is possible very very early versions were different, but I'm pretty sure I have it correct.

The Monitor 4 and its iterations had no PR just a port.

Sorry, but you are wrong about this. The original 5Jr was a single 6.5" with no PR.

See the 1985 brochure that is here:
    http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/1985Sales.pdf

Also see here:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/modelpartslist.php3?model=monitor

The Series 2 designates the change to the SL2500 from the SL2000.
    On paper, from Polk, the 5Jr never had a PR. The Jr+ is the addition of a PR, but I have seen speakers labeled 5Jr with the 6.5" PR that look identical to models labeled 5Jr+. Same same drivers and same tweeters, so that is why I think there was a crossover period when the Jr+ was still labled as a 5Jr.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I've been wrong before. I stand corrected. Early, Early Polks always confuse me, because you don't see them too often anymore.

H9
  • Sweeeezle
    Sweeeezle Posts: 28
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I just got a pair of 5jr+'s and I opened em up to see they actually have a BE5500-B crossover. So they are Jr+series 2. Nowhere on the speakers does it say series2. I have seen other "series 2" speakers and it will say series 2 on the back where the serial number is. I called the person I bought these from and he did inform me they had sl2500's in before and he just replaced them with sl2000's. Wish I had known that before I bought them....grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well.

I was wondering exactly what the difference in the crossover points is between the BE5500-B and the BE5500-A crossovers. I think I saw mention of it elsewhere but cant seem to find it again using the search function.

As I have stated in a few other messages I will be using these as surrounds with my sda2as as fronts. I just replaced the sl2000s in the sda2as with the RD0194.

Im sure buyers remorse will bother me until I get home with them in a few weeks to listen to them all together (I paid more than I should have for these). Its my own damn fault for not asking enough questions about them before I bought em. Wont have the same problem next time.;) In the mean time I wonder if I really need to do any mods or changes to these? Like I said I havent even listened to them yet.

Any opinions feel free to throw em my way.
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Surround - Polk Monitor 5jr+
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Sony DVPNC85HB DVD Changer
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

http://www.pbase.com/livverlips/stereo_shhhhhhtuff