Polk Sda vs Magnepan

Options
dagame27
dagame27 Posts: 561
edited May 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys I was curious as to a comparison between these two kinds of speakers. The only kind of music I don't listen to is country. Thanks guys

Chris
ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
Post edited by dagame27 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2006
    Options
    one sounds good, one sounds great
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    2 fairly different types of speakers. Mags are pretty hungry for power and tempermental for set-up. More so that SDA's on both points.
    When correctly powerred and set-up the mags probably get the nod in sound. It as always relates to listener prefernce as well.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited May 2006
    Options
    IMO it comes down to a personal preference. Best thing is to listen to properly set up rigs with these speakers and find what you like the best. I started with SDA's and moved into ribbons. Electrostats could be next.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    They both sound like shite.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The sda's will hit harder and have more profound bass.
    The mag's high end is extremely clean, and open.

-Luc
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have a set of Mag 1.5QRs that I bought at an estate sale for a GREAT price over a year ago. Was running them with a top-of-line NAD 225wpc amp and very quality vintage Sony pre (also from same estate sale). Also run with an HSU sub with the low pass filter turned on (no deep bass to Mags). I was very happy (or so I thought) with the sound.

Fast forward last August where I stumbled on set of Polk CRS+ sda's at another yard sale and grabbed them with no prior knowledge because they were so cheap ($30). Took them home and they surpassed the Mags in every manner I could throw at them.:eek: I immediately upgraded the tweeters as well after discovering this site. Now I'm a happy Polk SDA listener.:) I have never heard any of the other models in the SDA line although I would assume they all sound superb.

Needless to say my wife was thrilled to remove the big panel Maggies and replace with the Polks. Also could place the Polks in a much more user/sound friendly manner given my room geometry.

Moral of story is simply that I was trully blown away by the Polks and was thrilled to find such a amazing sound and presence in a speaker of their size. However, I am now wondering whether the Maggies are or were ever actually in full perfect "working condition". I had noticed some sounds that "didn't sound quite right" on occassion when I was cranking the Mags. From what I have researched (not all that much) the Maggies should not have been that easily surpassed by the Polks, particularly in the mid to high end arena where the Maggies should really shine. Apparently the quasi-ribbon tweeters can de-grade and do need attention from time to time. Its a moot point to me really since I have no intention, nor would my wife ever let me, put the Mags back in the living room.

Soo.. I may never know if the Mags could/should be repaired since I don't want to spend money on speakers that have no home. I still don't know what to do with them so they sit idle at present. I am also reluctant to sell them for what they may be worth if they do have a problem (they still sound damn good). If any maggie-philes come out vacationing on Cape Cod I will hook the mags up and let a more knowledgeable set of ears tell me if they are fine or not.;)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Although I see the beauty in the maggies, I still prefer the SDA's.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Capecodder:
    Although I think the large floor standing SDA's appeal to the "guy" in us for their aesthetics, I have always heard great things about the CRS+ speakers.
    At that price you stole some wonderful Polk speakers. Enjoy.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
    76911 Posts: 13
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I've had a set of SDA-CRS speakers since '86 and still love them...but they don't compare to the stage presence of my 1.2TLs. Fortunately I perfect listening rooms for both.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have a pair of SDA-CRS's amd SRS-2.3's. The 2.3 hits harder, has a larger soundstage and more. That being said the CRS's amaze me with the sound for the size!! There can produce a pounding bass thump and some smooth highs. The only thing I need to do is get some time to replace those four SL2000's so my ears can stop bleeding when I play Brothers in Arms:eek:
    Carl

• BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited May 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    The only thing I need to do is get some time to replace those four SL2000's so my ears can stop bleeding when I play Brothers in Arms:eek:

LOL !!

Dire Straits plays through my system more than anything else, and the RDO replacement tweeters definitely make Brothers In Arms an enjoyable experience.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Although I see the beauty in the maggies, I still prefer the SDA's.
    madmax

And I reverse that statement. Try both, pick one. You won't lose much, if any, $$$ in the used market.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    They both sound like shite.

:) I don't believe that from you.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• lites
    lites Posts: 31
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I loved my MGIIa's, but lost my listening space. I'll deliver to buyer this Sunday. For my new small space, LSi-9's or SDA's??
  • dagame27
    edited May 2006
    Options
    thanks for the thoughts guys. I ended up buying Noel's SDA 2A's (or shortly will!) I figure these will make a nice upgrade over my RTI 70's. Magnepan may fit my budget and my room size one day, for now its SDA for me. Who knows maybe I will be hooked and looking for 1.2's one day!
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited May 2006
    Options
    dagame27 wrote:
    I ended up buying Noel's SDA 2A's (or shortly will!)

Those were the 2A's I started out with. I replaced them with a pair of SDA SRS 2's, then moved on to ribbon speakers. Good for you!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2006
    Options
    dagame - and the journey begins :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dagame27
    edited May 2006
    Options
    yea I know, my friends are already making fun of me for buying new speakers. It's not bad though. I basically traded my rti70's and my csi40 for an Adcom 555 II and Polk SDA 2A's plus $100. Thats what none of them get is that if you buy the right gear, depreciation is not a factor. I'm sure if I get the bug for new speaks down the road, there won't be much difficulty in turning around the SDA's.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Chris,
    I'll be getting with ya soon to let ya know if I can come to Chitown this weekend or not.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think you're going to really enjoy the change there. Going from RTi70's to SDA 2's is a massive upgrade in terms of presence, soundstage. Deep, fast bass and dynamics. Should be awesome.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dagame27
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I wasn't aware that the bass would improve being one of the smaller SDA's. I'm anxious as hell! Time to break out my Brothers in Arms SACD. You can't beat "Money for Nothing" as a demo song.