Stuff I been listening to......

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited October 2002 in Music & Movies
Boston: I spent a couple hours this weekend listening to some of my Boston cd's. While I think that the recordings, especially the first two albums suck, man, there is some great stuff there. I remember seeing Tom Scholz and the gang at the Worcester Centrum in '86 and it was mesmerizing. Unfortunately the greatness never carried over into the recordings. 'A Man I'll Never Be' ranks right up there as probably the greatest live performance that I've seen (and if they play live, I've probably seen 'em). Rarely have I ever seen an entire crowd just sucked in to a song. Walk on is a pretty well recorded album with some great stuff on it

Shawn Mullins: Soul's Core (thanks hoosier!) Track #5. This will tell you how well your speakers reproduce vocals. Just Shawn and an acoustic guitar. At first, you are sitting there, yeah, yeah but it draws you in just like he was sitting in the room with you playing his guitar. Track 2 'Lullaby' was pretty popular, recieved a lot of airplay. Track 6 'And On a Rainy Night', this will tell you how well your speakers do in the midrange (as does the whole album, really). The opening riff is almost haunting. This is one of my demo tracks for the DQ-10's

Russ Freeman / Craig Chaquico: From the Redwoods to the Rockies (thanks nascarman) a whole disc of very well recorded smooth jazz. Maybe a little Kenny G'ish for some but I enjoy it immensely.

Telarc Sampler CD #2 it's a great CD all around (one of the discs I demoed the LSi's on at Polk) Track 1, the Magnificent Seven theme, can't say enough about it. That'll get your testosterone flowing. Track 8: Puccini's Nessun dorma! This track makes me drool. Showcases how well your speakers can produce a large soundstage and how well it handles midrange detail.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what I been listening to.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Chris Botti...Best of CD. Fantastic Trumpet work, and a nice cut with Edie Brickel ( ..and the New Bohemians)

Blue Man Goup DVD-A Guys with wierd (cool) drums and Blue paint!

Tom Petty - Let Me Up Good old fashioned Rok-n-Roll

Pink Floyd - A Monentary Lapse of Reason Needs no explaination!

Don Henley - End of the Innocence DTS DVD-A Excellant chops from a veteran

Moody Blues - Seventh Sojurn DTS DVD-A Differant than your average 60-70's fluff.

The Best of Mickey Hart - Over The Edge and Back DVD-A
    Percussion from just about everywhere on the planet.

Billy Joel - The Stranger SACD A great sound toi a lot of old favorites.

James Taylor - Hourglass SACD This guy can write and sing!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2002
    I just got an order in from BMG. They had a sale on all CDs for $5.39 plus S&H of $2.79 (RIP OFF!) so each CD cost $8.18 delivered.

Spyro Gyra - "Three Wishes" - I liked their early stuff a lot but I really didn't care much for their more recent CDs. This one is about 10 years old and not too bad. very reminicent of their earlier albums.

George Winston - "December" - one of my all time favorite piano music CDs. Very mellow and pensive at the same time. My daughter has sort of "pirated" my copy (she was kind enough to burn me a copy though). I noticed they had a 20th anniversary Remaster. VERY good. George Winston has several CDs out - But this one is the best!

Verticle Horizion - "Everything You Want" - I have always enjoyed the title track and figured for the price I would try the CD. Not too bad. The title track is the best but after one listen the rest has some promise.

Sarah Mclachlan - "Surfacing" - Not as good as "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy". I started not to buy this one since most of the tracks I like are on "Mirrorball" which I already have. Still, If you like Sarah this is a well recorded CD.

Edgar Winter Group - "They Only Come Out At Night" - Edgar Winter is a great blues/jazz/rock guitarist and along with Ronnie Montrose (Rick Derringer producing) they put together a true classic 70s "progressive" album with lots of synthesizers. Free Ride and Frankenstein are still fun to listen to.

George Benson - "Weekend In LA" - This live album from 1978 is in my opinion one of Benson's best and has stood the test of time. The lead-off and title track "Weekend In LA" is classic Benson smooth jazz guitar. Next is a 9 min. verson of "On Broadway" that mixes his great voice with his playing. And my favorite is his version of "The Greatest Love Of All" which shows off his vocal range. This was to replace a worn out cassette which was copied from a vinyl record many years ago.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Yesterday was a Clash and Stooges fest.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited October 2002
    Porcupine Tree- The Sky Moves Sideways
    Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
    Robin Trower - Live
    Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Stanley Turrentine - Sugar
    Miles Davis - IN A Silent Way
    John COltrane - A Love Supreme
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited October 2002
    Originally posted by shack
    I just got an order in from BMG. They had a sale on all CDs for $5.39 plus S&H of $2.79 (RIP OFF!) so each CD cost $8.18 delivered.

Spyro Gyra - "Three Wishes" - I liked their early stuff a lot but I really didn't care much for their more recent CDs. This one is about 10 years old and not too bad. very reminicent of their earlier albums.

George Winston - "December" - one of my all time favorite piano music CDs. Very mellow and pensive at the same time. My daughter has sort of "pirated" my copy (she was kind enough to burn me a copy though). I noticed they had a 20th anniversary Remaster. VERY good. George Winston has several CDs out - But this one is the best!

Verticle Horizion - "Everything You Want" - I have always enjoyed the title track and figured for the price I would try the CD. Not too bad. The title track is the best but after one listen the rest has some promise.

Sarah Mclachlan - "Surfacing" - Not as good as "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy". I started not to buy this one since most of the tracks I like are on "Mirrorball" which I already have. Still, If you like Sarah this is a well recorded CD.

Edgar Winter Group - "They Only Come Out At Night" - Edgar Winter is a great blues/jazz/rock guitarist and along with Ronnie Montrose (Rick Derringer producing) they put together a true classic 70s "progressive" album with lots of synthesizers. Free Ride and Frankenstein are still fun to listen to.

George Benson - "Weekend In LA" - This live album from 1978 is in my opinion one of Benson's best and has stood the test of time. The lead-off and title track "Weekend In LA" is classic Benson smooth jazz guitar. Next is a 9 min. verson of "On Broadway" that mixes his great voice with his playing. And my favorite is his version of "The Greatest Love Of All" which shows off his vocal range. This was to replace a worn out cassette which was copied from a vinyl record many years ago.

Shack - I would Not consider Edgar Winter "progressive"..a fine album by the way
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited October 2002
    Been listening to Carbon Leaf ALOT
    Got a multitude of their shows live.
    It's amazing that this band has not hit it big yet even though they did a Side Stage with DMB in St. Louis and Chicago.
    And any band that is daring enough to Play Crazy Train with a Mandolin then a few songs later play The Gambler deserves to get a listening to.