any Porcupine Tree (and prog rock in general) fans here?

Options
Billm57
Billm57 Posts: 689
edited October 2002 in Music & Movies
nmsg
Post edited by Billm57 on

Comments

• woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Tell me about 'em dude. I used to listen to a bunch of prog in the day (King Crimson, early Genesis and Yes, ELP, Marillion), but have kind of gotten out the game and am not up on the new guys. Still listen to the old stuff though. Who else do you recommend?
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Hey Bill,
    Love Pork Tree........Actually heard them for the first time on a Chill station believe it or not. Groove Salad no longer in business. I couldn't find much in the way of CD's locally some at virgin. Ended up buying about 5 discs from Amazon. com including the live one. I like Recordings the best so far though....
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Billm57
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by woodyjacobs
    Tell me about 'em dude. I used to listen to a bunch of prog in the day (King Crimson, early Genesis and Yes, ELP, Marillion), but have kind of gotten out the game and am not up on the new guys. Still listen to the old stuff though. Who else do you recommend?

for a newer band they are good..I would go with the early stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways..good stuff...I have not bought anything post 1981 in years but this stuff was very reminiscent of the old days..go on amazon and listen to some of the sound clips and let me know what you think
  • Billm57
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by STUFFMD
    Hey Bill,
    Love Pork Tree........Actually heard them for the first time on a Chill station believe it or not. Groove Salad no longer in business. I couldn't find much in the way of CD's locally some at virgin. Ended up buying about 5 discs from Amazon. com including the live one. I like Recordings the best so far though....
    Peace StuffMD

I ahve the Sky Moves Sideways , Signify and IN Abensentia (the new one) dont like the new one as much..it seems they are moving to more of a metal sound but its still not bad..just ordered some Ozric Tentacles too
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I personally Like all of Dream Theaters work. My favorite band.

And there is an off shoot band from them called TransAtlantic. Now that is some heavy duty prog rock. Very good stuff. King Crimconesque.

Like all prog rock it seems to grow on you. You hear a new prog band and say "man that sounds like shiat" then you listen to it again and hear stuff you missed on the first listen, THEN you run it again, next thing you know it is burning out the laser in you CD player.

Lot of great bands out there, but never get the credit because they are not "radio friendly". Well I can turn off the radio fairly easy.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Billm57
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by avelanchefan
    I personally Like all of Dream Theaters work. My favorite band.

And there is an off shoot band from them called TransAtlantic. Now that is some heavy duty prog rock. Very good stuff. King Crimconesque.

Like all prog rock it seems to grow on you. You hear a new prog band and say "man that sounds like shiat" then you listen to it again and hear stuff you missed on the first listen, THEN you run it again, next thing you know it is burning out the laser in you CD player.

Lot of great bands out there, but never get the credit because they are not "radio friendly". Well I can turn off the radio fairly easy.

Im not a big Dream Theater fan but I do like Transatlantic (what I ahve heard at least) ..may pick up the last release of thiers
  • STUFFMD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Hey Bill I highly recommend Recordings if you don't have it , it is limited edition Bsides and unreleased music...I think it is some of Porcupine Trees best work, you can probably hear clips on Amazon......
    Peace StuffMD

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Billm57
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by STUFFMD
    Hey Bill I highly recommend Recordings if you don't have it , it is limited edition Bsides and unreleased music...I think it is some of Porcupine Trees best work, you can probably hear clips on Amazon......
    Peace StuffMD

actually the Borders by me had it..wasnt sure if it was newer or older
  • yomama1
    yomama1 Posts: 1
    edited September 2002
    Options
    the guys in dream theater are some of the best musicians there are right now, they are one of my favarite bands.

joe
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Greetings !
    If you like DT-I highly suggest that you check out "Liquid Tension Experiment" - 3 members of DT (Portnoy/Petrucci/Rudess) and
    Tony Levin "master bassman" on bass/stick - 2 cd's out now, both outstanding IMO. i would descibe it as a heavy/hard prog.band

Then, if you like that - I would also suggest "Bozzio Levin Stevens" 2 cd's "Black Light Syndrome" and "Situation Dangerous"
    All excellent musicians and similar to the DT/LTE style.

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • bobsan
    bobsan Posts: 4
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Haven't heard much Porcupine tree. A few cuts on XM's Music Lab station. Big Fan of old Genesis(Pre Phil Collins lead singer)& A Trick of the Tail is excellent. Of course Yes, ELP, King Crimson. Cairo definitely! Gentle Giant has got to be my favorite of all Prog though. Man, I remember seeing them at Kleinhan's Music Hall In Buffalo in 1979. Perfect acoustical venue and they were outf---ingstanding! If you guys want to hear a lot of excellent prog,get XM radio and tune to ch#151 Xm music lab.Been 25 years since I heard real prog on the radio, now I hear it everyday...Bob
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I know this isn't a Dream Theater thread but: Any doubters of Dream Theater need to see them live. I went to the Kings X, DT, Satriani concert a couple of moths ago with some folks who didn't really care for DT. Kept hearing the same gripe over and over about the singer sounds like the singer from Styx (Dennis DeYoung). The show was amazing and I no longer hear them **** about the singer. They are now fans of this incredible band. I will check out Porcupine Tree the next time I stop at the local shop that lets you demo cd's before you buy.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    i you have not yet check out there dvd "scenes from a memory"
    it rocks.

scott:cool:
  • Billm57
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by bobsan
    Haven't heard much Porcupine tree. A few cuts on XM's Music Lab station. Big Fan of old Genesis(Pre Phil Collins lead singer)& A Trick of the Tail is excellent. Of course Yes, ELP, King Crimson. Cairo definitely! Gentle Giant has got to be my favorite of all Prog though. Man, I remember seeing them at Kleinhan's Music Hall In Buffalo in 1979. Perfect acoustical venue and they were outf---ingstanding! If you guys want to hear a lot of excellent prog,get XM radio and tune to ch#151 Xm music lab.Been 25 years since I heard real prog on the radio, now I hear it everyday...Bob
    a good internet station is Radio Free Kansas..good new and old prog rock....
    also on live 365 is Triad..run by the guy who used to run the Triad radio station here in Chicago from 71 to 77..man waht has happeend to radio since then???
  • avelanchefan
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Just wanted to thank Bill and the rest of you fellas for turnng me on to Porcupine Tree. Very good band. I have only been able to download 3 songs but I love them all. I think I may just go out and buy their CD's.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Billm57
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by avelanchefan
    Just wanted to thank Bill and the rest of you fellas for turnng me on to Porcupine Tree. Very good band. I have only been able to download 3 songs but I love them all. I think I may just go out and buy their CD's.

which ones did you download???
  • STUFFMD
    edited September 2002
    Options
    You can hear cuts from all their albums on Amazon.com......
    Peace StuffMD

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • avelanchefan
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I downloaded

The creator has a master tape
    Chloroform
    Always Never

Thats about all I can find.

But today I bought In Absentia, and Stars Die The Delerium Years.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • Billm57
    edited October 2002
    Options
    stars die is a good compilation of thier early stuff (which personally I prefer)