SDA2A replacement question

Options
Sweeeezle
Sweeeezle Posts: 28
edited May 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I replaced the sl2000's in my sda2as about 3 weeks ago with some new RD0194's. The only problem I had was one of the openings for the tweeters was a little small and neither one seems to want to sit as flush as the older tweets did. One speaker cabinet is worse than the other. I had asked Ken about it and I let him know that the new tweeter(s) faceplates appeared to be fine. I thought I could just double up my gasket material to be safe but I have read in a few threads with others mentioning opening up the enclosure hole on their cabinets. I dont believe any of those threads were mentioning the problem with sda2as though. Is there anyone else who has had a similar experience when doing the tweet upgrade on this particular model?

Thanks
Mains - Polk SDA2A
Center - Polk CSi3
Surround - Polk Monitor 5jr+
Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
Sony DVPNC85HB DVD Changer
Monster HTS 3500 MKII
Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

http://www.pbase.com/livverlips/stereo_shhhhhhtuff
Post edited by Sweeeezle on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    That's usually a problem that's associated with SL1000s and Peerless tweeters.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Dremel time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Sweeezle,

You could Dremmel as suggested by jesse, or double up the gaskets. Rubber gaskets or neoprene coated cork will seal air tight. Make sure you have a good fit into the baffle. The cabinent should be as airtight as possible, but using gaskets will seal it fine. You can buy the gasket material in sheets at an auto supply store. Good luck!
    Carl

• Sweeeezle
    Sweeeezle Posts: 28
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Yeah I figure its just my enclosure thats just a little abnormally snug. I hadnt read about it happeneing to anyone elses sda2as so I just wanted to see if I missed em somewhere. I may nibble a little bit out of the cabinet, but I needed some new gaskets anyway. Off to the store tomorrow.

Appreciate the comments
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Surround - Polk Monitor 5jr+
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Sony DVPNC85HB DVD Changer
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

http://www.pbase.com/livverlips/stereo_shhhhhhtuff