Earthquake...

har_navalta
har_navalta Posts: 957
The SuperNova Millennium 15 has anyone own this one in the club, how do you compare this to the SVS... The SuperNova Millennium 15 plays at incredibly high levels all the way down to 18Hz and below.

Heres a link of info of Earthquake SuperNova15.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/supernov.htm

Har
Post edited by har_navalta on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    SuperNova Millennium 15 – “less than $2,000”

SPL readings taken at 9 feet from sub; not sure of room size.

118dB at 45Hz
    117dB at 40Hz
    117dB at 35Hz
    116dB at 30Hz
    115dB at 25Hz
    102dB at 20Hz
    98dB at 18Hz

Twin SVS Ultras – also “less than $2,000” (summer sale just ending), including 1000 watt Samson amp and interconnects.

SPL readings taken at 12 feet from subs; 3600 ft3 room size.

113dB at 45Hz
    113dB at 40Hz
    116dB at 35Hz
    118dB at 30Hz
    113dB at 25Hz
    110dB at 20Hz
    108dB at 16Hz

Distance from the speaker to the listener is VERY important. Starting at the 1-meter mark and assuming 120 dB, every time you double the distance you lose 6 dB. So, if you place you sub 2 meters away, you're at 114 dB, and at 4 meters, 108 dB, etc. I would add 2-3 dB to every SVS readings for a more fair "9 foot to 9 foot" comparo.

Also, THD readings were not provided. This is clearly not a perfect apples to apples comparo, but I would say the Earthquake is one HELLA loud sub at 40-45 Hz, but quickly loses ground to the SVS below 30 Hz, and at 20 Hz it's no contest - SVS dominates with a 10 dB advantage 3 feet FARTHER away than was measured for the Earthquake.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    Doc: I've read a number of your posts and have learned much. Keep it up! You rule!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    Geez, I'm flattered - thanks. I've learned almost everything I know from you guys............and from surfing all the other HT forums and manufacturer's websites. I guess being an engineer doesn't hurt either........there are many very knowledgable members on these forums - we are very fortunate. What did we ever do w/o the internet?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited September 2002
    That is a good comparison Doc, at least I know what I am looking for...

...An OVERKILL Sub!

Har
  • octong
    octong Posts: 25
    edited September 2002
    I have the mkIV 15 but have never had an opportunity to compare it to the SVS and have never seen a review with a direct comparison between the two setups. However, if you want to see a good review of the EQ, track down the Sept issue of Stereophile guide to home theatre.
    The guy doing the review tests it with his top of the line Dulavy home theatre setup (mains alone are around 28,000) and could find no fault with the sub except for one ergonomical quibble that I can't recall. In fact he even says that for music crossing the Dunlavy's over at 60 and letting the Supernova handle the bass improved all aspects of the sound (bass) of the system. His last comment was something to the effect that if there were any subs at even three times the price that bettered the EQ he had never heard them.

I, as well, have been able to find no weakness. Movies with loud subsonic passages (the big explosion in Jet Li's The One for example) make the floor under your feet feel like it's become fluid ... like you can feel the waveform of the subsonic pulses. It tends to freak people out the first time they experience it.

Hope this helps