my little tube rig is up and running

Options
ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,502
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
got the Radii Tube amp (8wpc push pull) with Phillips tubes deliverred this weekend.

Its now running with my Dodd preamp (amperex Bugleboys) and a Tosh 3960 (stock) as a source.

I have AR and Monster for interconnects (working on that), with Anticables speaker cables.

this is driving my pair of Polk RT55's on a pair of parts express medium density stands.

I hooked up this system for fun during my weekly poker night, as I was the first out of 15 to be out of the game (dont get me started!). Since I was bored with the prospect of watching poker for 2 hours, I figured it was a good time to hook this stuff up.

The final results were very surprising, and not just to me. A couple of people at the game took note at how the rig sounded, especially when I told them it was 8 wpc compared to my 2 channel rig's 250. While it obviously didnt sound as "big" as the Carver's, this little set up put out some very enjoyable sound.

I let it run for the duration of the game, and learned that it sounds better after 15-30 minutes of warm up. While I allways liked my RT55's for home theater, they never moved me that much with music.....until now. seems like this little rig just brings the best out of the 55's. Its the best i have ever heard these speakers sound. I'm sure the 92db effiency helps quite a bit.

While I had on my agenda to get a pair of speakers more appropriate for tube use, say Bozak or klipsch, I will certainly not be in a rush to do so.

this little amp sounds better than it has any business doing so at the price point and power rating. a real eye opener. I really should see what my Jolida sounds like on it
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2006
    Options
    That Tosh is holding you (and your systems potential) back brotha. I have one, and I am not impressed. Not trying to be an a-hole, I just think your setup deserves a better source...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have that same cd and it seems to work and sound good, to me.. I upgraded the cord to an iec outlet and thicker cord, added a heatsink and that's about it.. added rubber feet.. Im also running an all tube small rig.. pas tube pre and 10 -12 watt vintage tube amp... for a small simple tube rig i don't see the point in going balls out on the source. Just my opinion though. I also run Rt25's... nice small rig on tubes on the cheap..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    That Tosh is holding you (and your systems potential) back brotha. I have one, and I am not impressed. Not trying to be an a-hole, I just think your setup deserves a better source...

So I guess that is a vote for "get a better source before the speaker upgrade" column?

allways a love/hate thing with the Tosh :D

it allways sounded good to me, not phenomenal, but good. bang for buck allways factors in with my assessment of a product, so maybe the bang for buck I got out of this thing makes me like it.

I will try this rig with my Jolida JD100 eventually, but part of me doesnt want to since I'm hosed if I like it that much better. I cant keep switching it from my big rig to the all tube rig, what a PITA that would be.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    who knows, this might lead me into going balls to the ball on a tube 2 channel rig and save my solid state fun for my theater. its too soon to make that kind of decision though, as it would mean me parting with the platinums. . From what I know, they arent exactly tube friendly :D

that decision would NOT be made lightly, thats for sure.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• faster100
    edited May 2006
    Options
    for tubes, in the lower power range.. id say smaller speakers... the Rt55 is a huge speaker for 8 watts, Not saying they can't drive em.. but ya know

Simplicity is sometimes best, every rig doesnt have to be multi hundred/ or thousand dollar rig.. I like a small simple rig.. a Really nice HT rig and a balls out 2 channel rig... I have 2 of the 3 now..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    believe it or not, the Radii drives them with AUTHORITY. I believe the RT55 has the highest efficiency rating of the entire RT line at 91 db per watt, including the later RTi line (and probably the current RTi line as well). I was surprised at that, hence the reason I went with the Polk instead of my smaller B&W DH550 (87 db per watt I believe).

I still want to see what they will do with a large floorstanding (but very efficient) speaker, say Klipsch or maybe a bozak B302.

****edit**** ooops, the RT55 are 91 db/watt, not 92
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Not a matter of going "balls to the wall" just a moderate upgrade, given the nice tube setup he has. Maybe something in the $300 range. If it were me, I'd grab a Sony SCD-2000ES off the 'bay for his rig. Sony's punchy/tight bass to balance out the tubes a little in that department.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • faster100
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Agreed!! :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    At 91db efficient they are still a tad under efficient for an 8 watt amp. I've heard 94db and up is best for the lower watt tube amps.
    Having said that I beleive the 55 is biampable. Might be interesting to hear the tube amp on the highs with some solid state driving the more demanding lows.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    Not a matter of going "balls to the wall" just a moderate upgrade, given the nice tube setup he has. Maybe something in the $300 range. If it were me, I'd grab a Sony SCD-2000ES off the 'bay for his rig. Sony's punchy/tight bass to balance out the tubes a little in that department.

something to think about, selling a bunch of stuff, so I'll have some "fundage" on hand. My rule is, whatever I sell, I put beck into one of my rigs, as long as I dont have a crisis in my life.

will put this on the options list :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Congrats. That's a very sexy unit.

Tubes with the RT line is a very good combo. I hook up a pair of RT15i to my tube amp once in a while.

Isn't it cool how tubes can power the speakers with authority and robust sound even though it has very little power?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Awesome! Glad to hear you finally have it all together.

Maybe we should be on the look out for some Carvers in the FM, eh? :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    might be picking up a pair of Bozak b4000 symphony's this weekend. will keep ya posted
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• organ
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Awesome! Do you have any links with pics. What's the sensitivity?
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    not yet, but will snap a few when they get here. dont know the exact sensitivity, but its way above 91 :D they run well on the lighter tube power from what is said. I heqrd a pair of b302's and just loved listening to them. not the most accurate or detailed, but just one of the sweetest/smoothest speakers I ever laid ears on. Simply put, it was just a joy to listen to. the symphony is a bigger version of it, with 2 12" drivers, 1 5 1/4" mid driver, and 8 tweeters lined up in an array. should be glorious.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Once you put the Jolida CDP on that rig, you'll be hooked on tubes forever.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'm going to at least wait to see if and when I get the Bozaks in the house.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• organ
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Sounds like some awesome big speakers. Keep us posted!
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2006
    Options
    apparently there 165 lbs a piece. even big Lou's gonna need some back up...LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -