New CD Player from Cambridge Audio...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Yawn. Could it be more sterile?

I'm sure it sounds nice though.
  • crazy
    crazy Posts: 443
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Sweet!

hmmm ... it's rather strange that Audioadvisor.com is selling these. I thought that they were not out in the US yet - atleast absed ont eh Cambridge AUdio website. This is strange.

I spoke to my dealer about these and he said that they spoke to Cambridge Audio but haven't got any dates yet.

At $1400 they seem pricey!
    Distant Dream - A New Beginning
    www.distantdream.com
    (Now also available on iTunes)
  • crazy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I wonder how they compare to other in that price range or for that matter of fact with cheaper players like the Rotel RCD-1072 ($700) or the Rega Apollo ($1000) or even the Arcam (not sure of the price)
    www.distantdream.com
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Looks very nice, if you ask me.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • crazy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    Looks very nice, if you ask me.

Yeah they'll look awesome with the new 840C integrated amps
    www.distantdream.com
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It needs some glass!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Looks good! Too bad you don't live closer. I'd love to do a side by side with my new Quad 99 CD/P2 player. It also has upsampling and more importantly for me, it has a well designed variable output so I can use it on my second system to control volume since my McAlister ML33 preamp doesn't :rolleyes:
    I'm already impressed by how good it sounds compared to my Jolida J100A with the level 1 mod. Also costs a few hundred $$ less new on the 'Gon than the Cambridge.

Too bad it only comes in its natural brushed aluminum and not black.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Everything except a tube output stage seems to be in place for outstanding sound from the new Cambridge: dual differential upsampling DACs and balanced outputs to eliminate cheap component parts in the signal path. I don't think the price is out of line for the features, in fact I think it's a good deal given what the competition has to offer in this price range. It is surprising that Cambridge would come out with a model this high end given the mid-range budget of most of their gear.
  • crazy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Emlyn wrote:
    It is surprising that Cambridge would come out with a model this high end given the mid-range budget of most of their gear.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I mean Cambridge Audio is supposed to be lower than Rotel in ranking and now they come up with such an expensive line-up. Why would someone pay $1500 for a Cambridge Audio - it's like paying $80,000 for a VW (Phaeton)

Ok, ok - I know we're dealing with audiophiles who know the good from the bad and ugly and don't care so much about brand - but still ...
    www.distantdream.com
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited May 2006
    Options
    it has a well designed variable output so I can use it on my second system to control volume since my McAlister ML33 preamp doesn't

I came up with a remote volume control for our pre amps.:p
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • unbridled_id
    unbridled_id Posts: 179
    edited May 2006
    Options
    looks like the nad silver series components.
    The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2006
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I came up with a remote volume control for our pre amps.:p

LOL,
    Scomp, is the remote programmable and backlit?
    Venom
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Yawn. Could it be more sterile?

I'm sure it sounds nice though.

Gotta agree, it looks terrible. Then add to the fact it has the cold look of silver. That silver look to electronics makes me pass right over them no matter how good the rest of it sounds and looks.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I like silver and brushed aluminum gear. Goes back to my early days of audio I guess.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    edited May 2006
    Options
    shack wrote:
    I like silver and brushed aluminum gear. Goes back to my early days of audio I guess.

Me too. Almost all the gear I have now is silver or brushed aluminum.

The 840C is also available in black, like other Cambridge products.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2006
    Options
    +1 on that Shack-daddy. Black usually looks cheap and plasticky(sp?).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Only if it is plastic.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Anyone actually hear this player yet? It's kind of midway between the mid level player and the low high end player. Which put you in audio hell because your asking yourself does the additional $600 for the Cambridge justify the sound improvement over the Rotel 1072 or the Marantz 8260. Or, if I spend $1,400, would I better off to spend an additional $600 to buy something even better.:confused:
    Carl

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Emlyn wrote:
    Everything except a tube output stage seems to be in place for outstanding sound from the new Cambridge: dual differential upsampling DACs and balanced outputs to eliminate cheap component parts in the signal path. I don't think the price is out of line for the features, in fact I think it's a good deal given what the competition has to offer in this price range. It is surprising that Cambridge would come out with a model this high end given the mid-range budget of most of their gear.

Got to agree, dual differential is a huge step up from most of the cdp's mentioned here on CP. Looks like they took extreme care to isolate typical issues that plague many players in this price point, including the much heralded Rotel. I'd love to audition one of these at home for awhile. $1400 is my personal top end I'd pay for a cdp. This looks like a winner. It has many of the design properties of stand alone DAC's which I'm a big believer in.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited May 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Anyone actually hear this player yet? It's kind of midway between the mid level player and the low high end player. Which put you in audio hell because your asking yourself does the additional $600 for the Cambridge justify the sound improvement over the Rotel 1072 or the Marantz 8260. Or, if I spend $1,400, would I better off to spend an additional $600 to buy something even better.:confused:

I'm betting, just based on what I've read about some of its design properties, YES the extra $600 would be worth it. Only listening time will tell for sure.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    Gotta agree, it looks terrible. Then add to the fact it has the cold look of silver. That silver look to electronics makes me pass right over them no matter how good the rest of it sounds and looks.

Who care what it looks like if sounds great. I like cool looking stuff as much as the next person, but hell if blows my socks off then who cares.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    edited May 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    Kind of surprised at this choice given yout MF pre.Thought you would go
    with a MF player like the 308cr.WELL, if it sounds good to you thats all that matters.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2006
    Options
    tonyb wrote:
    Kind of surprised at this choice given yout MF pre.Thought you would go
    with a MF player like the 308cr.WELL, if it sounds good to you thats all that matters.:)

I didn't buy it, just ran across it...My next CDP will be an MF.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    I didn't buy it, just ran across it...My next CDP will be an MF.

Did you add Krell on your list? I believe they're in the same price range.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2006
    Options
    No, I'm pretty hell-bent on the MF, I like the massive build quality.