Help selecting a center speaker

Options
dcmeigs
dcmeigs Posts: 707
edited May 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I'm planning to make the jump from stereo to HT. I have a set of SDA-1s that I will use for the front spkrs and a set of SDA-2s for the rear. I am wondering what I should buy for the center speaker. I am a vintage guy so I'm thinking of using one of the monitor series for the center. Any suggestions as to what has worked well in the real world (not that I will ever go there:eek:).

Also, in inventory are a pair of PhaseTech2000s out in the hanger. One of those could be brought in for service but they are perhaps a bit overkill.

What do you think? Which Monitor or perhaps a better idea.
The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
Post edited by dcmeigs on

Comments

• Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The 5jr's are a close sonic match to the SDA series and about the same size as a bigger center channel width wise. A little wider than a lot of centers, but depends on placement if it will fit in your system.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk demeigs! Glad to have you join us:) I have a pair of SRS-2.3's as my fronts and a pair of SDA-2's as my rears. both sets have been upgraded with the silk dome replacement tweeters. I have a CSi40 as my center. The CSi40 also has the silk dome tweeter as a stock component. The timbre match is perfect all around. If you have the original tweeters, you might want to try the CSi-5 from Polk's new series of HT speakers. I have found this series of speakers to be a little "bright" and might be a good match for your SDA-1's and 2's original tweeters. Polk also has a recommendation table on the Home page. Here is the link:

http://www.polkaudio.com/education/faq.php?article=centermatch

Polk recommends the CSi-5 for your original Polks. I hope this helps and welcome to the Polk Forums!
    Carl

• dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the suggestions and the link. I have considered upgrading tweeters and it seems from your comments that I should decide before buying the center, although, I suppose I could update the center tweeter when I do the fronts.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been lurking here for a while and it seems this is a terrific community.

Dave
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Thanks for posting Dave! I hope that you post often:)

Carl
    Carl