F.e.a.r.

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,523
edited May 2006 in Video Games
AWESOME game for PC (havent tried it on the consoles)!

5/5 for me... I play on my monster system with my eyes glued to my 24" Dell LCD and this game is just so immersing! Far superior to Doom3 in terms of freakiness and better A.I. than, dare I say, Half Life 2.

The enemy's team A.I. is very good. I remember shooting the door accidentally and one enemy quickly opened the door (only to be met by my shotgun) while his buddies were hiding behind crates and they all opened fire at me once I cleared the door.

The weird little girl, the flying through windows, the falling into blood, the blood over you, the screeching, the scratchy crackles of your HUD flickering, the awesome dynamic lighting..... if anyone hasnt played this game for PC... I am giving you a solid recommendation to find out...

What is FEAR? ;)
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2005
    Options
    That game freaks me out....I've stopped playing it for awhile.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Beat the game - although there were several times where I stopped and went to bed because it got too intense and freaky for me.

LOVE it though!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Definitely was a fun game. They AI was very good. Got a little quirky when they would kick you and stuff, but still fun. They would also do everything to get away from you. Gunfire also seemed a lot more accurate as it wasn't incredibly easy to aim and running around shooting wildly would make you miss a lot more. I wish there was a little more of the freak factor, the ending got a little lame with all the 'ghosts' spawning on you in a big group. Just seemed a little quirky.

I'd give it a 4/5, mostly because it doesn't have much replay value.

Did you try multiplayer? :(
  • MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Anyone willing to sell/swap or burn a copy for me? I just finished the demo and thought it was friggin awesome. Thanks...
  • karpiel666
    karpiel666 Posts: 173
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That game made me scream a couple times. I also broke my computer chair while playing, it was when the girl is a woman and she is slowly walking at you then suddenly charges. the semi-cutscenes were creepy as crap, and then having to shoot your brother point blank. The A.I. i think was the best in any game ever. it owns doom3 and halflife2 for A.I. graphics, the physics engine(gotta love the clouds of dust from the guns) and creepyness factor. story not as solid as hl2 though and not as much replay value, but still a 5/5 for me.
    dvd player: samsung DVD-HD850
    receiver: Denon avr5700
    center: polk cs400
    fronts: polk rt800i
    surrounds: Unknown Polk monitor? series.
    sub: svs pb12 isd/v
    tv: 46 inch samsung
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Definitely a 5/5 for me... the AI is far better than HL2 or Doom3 because it is the first game that successfully employed correct TEAM AI. HL2 developers tried to do this but couldnt by the HL2 release date.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I picked this up last night and got through the first few minutes before it started freaking me out.

This is definitely one of those best played with surround sound and the lights out...
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Will be officially announced at E3 that FEAR will be coming to the 360.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I've had a copy of it on my desk forever, but since my graphics card fried, I haven't been able to play it!!! Geez, I'm so wanting to get this game on.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Shizelbs
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have a copy for my PC too, but my vid card is too dated. It looks like total hell when I try to play it.
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Finally broke down and bought a new LCD , which really made the game look all the more amazing . Temped to play it a second time when Iam done just for the visuals again . Does take some horsepower to run it though to get the full effect of how well done the graphics really are .

Great game , very sweet graphics , xint AI . Almost finished with it , as its a fairly long game. The second half of the game is better than the first half , with things not quite as repetitive . Jumped out of my chair (so-to-speak) in a few places through-out the game ... lol

Definitely worth the price of admission . :D
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2006
    Options
    What LCD did you get? I might be in the market for one too.
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    What LCD did you get? I might be in the market for one too.

Well I was was on a tight budget after recently builing a new AMD Opteron 165 rig .My beloved IBM 21" crt has been showing its age by loosing its color and I knew it was about time to wait out for a deal on a LCD . I did not want to comprimise much on quality ( DVI input , size , response time , etc) , so luckily a few deals popped up that were pretty sweet .

Some deals showed up at Fatwallet (and overclockers.com under CyberDeals)

Acer Acer AL1916ASD from Stalpes http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&productId=145624&cmArea=SEARCH&prodCatType=1&langId=-1&storeId=10001&krypto=mfxq1nTSMWh0shUQOLdqejr6zGQ2Y8NL , but with a Fatwallet effect (more discounts) http://www.fatwallet.com/t/54/604474

There was also a Dell 1907 deal ($236.xx) : http://www.fatwallet.com/t/74/603146

I went with the Acer deal first as it was an easy return to the store if I was not happy with it . Set up the Acer and I was VERY impressed . Good color , clear text , no ghosting , no dead pixels , full 3yr warranty ; a difinite keeper. Out the door for me after MIR and taxes (counting $8 CA disposal fee) = $160 .
    I also compared the Acer next to my brother's new ($600) Gateway 21" widesreen , with the Acer looking just as good , but with the Gateway having a better viewing angle . For the final price of the Acer ... it was a steal and Iam supper pleased with my purchase .
    Remember too that I came from a nice 21" sized crt so size was abit of a concern , but I lost very little realestate in the process with the 19" lcd (about a true 3/4") . All this combined with the end price of $160 . Hard to beat imo .

If your looking for a larger screen such as my brothers Gateway 21" (which is a FANTASIC screen and I can HIGHLY recommend) . Wait for CircuitCity to have another sale . My brother grabbed his with a instant discount and online 10% off for $470 (vs $600). Right now its onsale for $550 .

Link to the Gateway specs ,etc : http://www.gateway.com/programs/lcd/

NOTE:To keep up on some good LCD deals , I recommend :

keeping tabs on the "CyberDeals" thread over at www.ocforums.com (overclockers.com forums)
    or

Sorry if I rambled on abit ... lol
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more