The SVS PC+ Has Landed! (Long)

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited September 2002 in Speakers
Polkheads:

Well the wait is finally over. The SVS 20-39PC+ was delivered yesterday at noon. I took the day off, naturally (you didn't think I was going to risk missing the UPS driver just before a weekend did you?).

Highlights are a proprietary TC Sounds db-12 ultra long throw, super high output 12" downward firing, bottom mounted woofer. Triple 3" flared top firing ports. Birch end caps are 1.5” thick and CNC’d. The enclosure is highly refined and exceptionally dense fiber/polymer laminate tubing (much stronger than MDF) that’s specially made just for SVS. It is turned and blade cut to exceptional tight tolerances. Indigo BASH 525 watt (RMS 4 ohm nominal) onboard amp with infinitely variable phase knob and a 4 position SS filter (25, 20, 16, 12), with low level, high level, and speaker level inputs.

Set-up and calibration details are as follows:

1) All main speakers are set to "normal" and the sub is set to "on". Crossover to the sub set at 100 Hz.

2) Individual volume settings on the Kenwood are mains (+2), center (-1), surrounds (+2), and sub (-3).

3) I am using a Bruel & Kjoer (made in Copenhagen, Denmark) professional grade sound pressure meter on C-Weighted Slow response setting. I just calibrated it with the included tone generator and it reads spot on at 1000 Hz.

4) I honestly do not know if this meter reads a bit low in the bass frequencies (like the more popular Rat Shack model does). I'm assuming it does and I figured I would calibrate the sub 3 dB "hotter" than the mains/center/surrounds to compensate for this common characteristic of nearly all SPL meters.

5) At the "reference" master volume setting (-15 dB on the Kenwood), at the listening position (which is 12 feet from the speakers, including the sub), the receiver's test tones for the center, mains, and surrounds all read 75 dB +/- 0.5 dB. The sub test tone reads 78 dB +/- 1dB (i.e., fluctuates between 77 and 79 dB). I manually toggled between test tones to make sure I had plenty of time to obtain good readings.

6) Settings at the sub are: one Monster sub cable running to the low level left RCA input, auto on enabled, crossover disabled, SS filter set to 20 Hz, no ports plugged, phase set at 0 degrees, gain set at roughly 1/3 volume.

7) There is a "cinema eq" setting on the Kenwood that enhances DD and DTS surround sound playback. I have determined this to be a moderate "LFE trim" enhancement, coupled with enhancement of certain discrete surround sound effects. I left it on during playback because it does indeed provide a more involving listening experience without unduly "coloring" the sound or the bass.

8) Factor in the "cinema eq" and I'm making an educated guess that the sub is running about 4 dB hotter than the mains/center/surrounds.

9) I do not listen at my "reference" level - I find it simply too loud - I usually listen at between 5 and 10 dB below reference (i.e., -20 to -25 on the Kenwood master volume).

Well, how does it sound? In a word - spectacular. This sub will completely alter your impressions of ALL of your best bass demo DVDs. It is tight, clean, musical, DEEEEP, and very, VERY powerful.

The funny thing about SVS subs (I've heard two different models now - the sonic signature is very similar) is that your initial impression will be "where did all that boomy mid bass go?". These subs are very flat through the mid bass range (60-30) with none of the usual emphasis at 35-40 Hz that many sub makers deliberately build in to hide the fact that their subs have no real bottom end. This lack of mid bass bloom allows the sub to blend beautifully with the mains and it remains very neutral and undetected until the source material calls for it.

The second thing I noticed is that there is an entire world of bass from 30-15 Hz that I never heard before on several DVDs. It is literally another dimension in sound. The ultra deep stuff is absolutely visceral - it is felt more than heard, and there are no messy 2nd or 3rd order harmonics, just pure, clean, DEEEEP bass that literally PUSHES its way through the room and envelopes you in the sound field. This is vision blurring, teeth rattling, couch moving, guts turn to jello, crap falls off the shelves upstairs, call the fire department - REAL DEAL ULTRA LOW INCREDIBLY POWERFUL BASS.

Demo discs included:

U-571 (DTS):

Oh, so that's what depth charges are really supposed to sound like! Amazing! When they show the close-ups of the destroyer passing overhead with the props spinning - HANG ON.

LOTR - FOTR (main volume set at -25dB):

Never heard the sub-20 Hz (actually goes to 10 Hz on waterfall charts) delayed reverb when the ring hits the ground in the opening scene. When the cave troll bursts into the room (109 dB peak on C-Weighted Fast setting at the listening position) and when he falls dead (108 dB), I thought the walls of my house were going to COLLAPSE. The falling bridge and rocks and the fight with the fire demon are all VERY deep and powerful.

One caveat here. The scene where the Ring Wraith is trying to find Frodo and his friends under the tree root ball: There is a loud (but not too deep) 2 second bass tone at 46:09 through 46:11 that actually caused the 70 pound PC+ to rattle itself ACROSS my acoustically dead floor (laminate over concrete slab). The rattle was very loud and annoying and it was so strong even leaning on the sub wouldn't stop it completely. This gives you an idea of how powerful this driver is. Anyway, I had a roll of automotive grade truck cap foam tape with adhesive on one side and I simply turned the sub on its side and layed strips across the entire bottom plate, supplementing the three foam rubber feet supplied by SVS. Worked like a charm and I recommend this if you by a PC+.

SPR (DTS):

Battle scene explosions, and the tank buster scene on the bridge - I was RIGHT THERE with Hanks.

The Matrix:

Helicoptor explosion is MUCH deeper and stronger than I've ever heard before.

Star Wars - TPM:

Pod race - amazing. The fly-bys have such DEEP after shocks they feel literally subsonic. The wave of energy is incredible. Ditto on the light saber duels - never heard half the stuff before.

The Haunting (DTS) (main volume set at -21 dB):

STILL the absolute, undisputed, KING of ultra low end, super pumped up LFE. This DVD will blow your mind at near reference levels with this sub. The combination of low, LOW bass and the sheer SPL this DVD generates will scare you - literally SCARE YOU. We kept waiting for the sub to start showing signs of distress - DIDN'T HAPPEN. It just kept belting out wave after wave of PURE VISCERAL MIND BLOWING NEAR SUBSONIC BASS. Stuff rattled off my shelves - upstairs, and picture frames through the entire house were off kilter. We recorded bass peaks of approximately 110 dB at the listening position (C-Weighted Fast setting). KILLER - TOTALLY KILLER.

What more can I say - Dr. Spec is OFF HIS ROCKER AND OUT OF HIS MIND. This is the absolute BEST investment I have EVER made in my HT system - BAR NONE.

My hat is off to SVS - they are THE BASS AUTHORITY.

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• Orange Peel
    Orange Peel Posts: 53
    edited September 2002
    I have tears running down my cheeks..... I'm speakless Dr. This is the news I've been waiting for, I'm SO stoked now I can't contain myself!!!!!!!! Damn you, damn you all to hell!!!! :) I WANT MINE!

EXCELLENT review, totally excellent dude! I feel much better about ordering mine now, this wait is gonna kill me though, but be worth it in the end I'm sure.

I will have to watch my Haunting DVD again now when it gets here, I never thought that movie had anything special to it, I guess I really never heard with the right equipement :)

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!! Where's my SVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

:):):):) Thanks again, Can I come over? ;)
    Scott Goldsmith

Home Theatre:
    Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)
    Klipsch RC-3 (Center)
    Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)
    SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer
    Harman Kardon AVR-520
    Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TV
    Denon DVD 1600
    Sony DVD DVP-S530D
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited September 2002
    Excellent review Doc... and congratulations!! Just out of curiosity, do you have cats? During the first week I had my 20-39pci, I watched horrified as one of our cats rared back on its hind 2 legs to give the sub a good scratching.... I yelled so loud he actually fell backwards without extending his front claws another inch, never actually touching it. One of the funniest things I've seen... it now steers clear of the SVS at all times.

I think with Polk's you get a lot of bang for you buck, but man oh man, the SVS has just astounded me. Raised the level of enjoyment for the whole theater.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited September 2002
    Dr. Spec.

Good review. No doubt these must be one fine sub. What did you use for a sub before SVS?

Dylan.

I suspect that if a cat tried to attack Dr. Spec's SVS, there would be kitty brains splattered everywhere, complements of a bullet from a high powered firearm.

joe
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Guys:

1) I added a bunch of calibration and SPL stuff to my original post (mostly for Scott's benefit), and also just to show I wasn't bullshitting about the SPL this thing can generate. Clean hitting bass peaks of 108-110 dB 12 feet away from the sub are very near Dolby Labs specs for "reference" and are truly remarkable.

2) No cats, and yes - if I had one (which I never will - I'm a dog guy) it would be met with a quick death if it ever messed with my sub.

3) Former subs included dual PSW350s and dual Advent loudspeakers powered by a high current Harman/Kardon amp.

4) Scott - if you want to make the trip from AZ to NY - I have some cold beer in the fridge for you! Also, make sure your version of The Haunting is DTS, not DD. Whoever mastered the DTS version must have been on drugs - it is INSANE with bass.

Doc

SVS
  • Orange Peel
    Orange Peel Posts: 53
    edited September 2002
    Thanks buddy, I really appreciate the in depth review, I can't wait to get mine.

I'll have to check my DVD to see which it is. When I come to NY I'll be sure to give ya a ring, someday I will go, I really want to visit there, especially during Christmas time :) I can thank that urge to the Home Alone movies :) hehe I know pretty stupid, but that would be so cool!
    Scott Goldsmith

Home Theatre:
    Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)
    Klipsch RC-3 (Center)
    Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)
    SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer
    Harman Kardon AVR-520
    Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TV
    Denon DVD 1600
    Sony DVD DVP-S530D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    The haunting - never even knew there was a DTS version to some time later. I have the real nice signiture version and all.
    Anyway the DD on it is earthshaking to say the least. Can't imagine the DTS is that much greater.
    The second thing I noticed is that there is an entire world of bass from 30-15 Hz that I never heard before on several DVDs. It is literally another dimension in sound.
    Dr. Spec welcome to the bass club. Nice pick of demo DVD's. Ya, those bass freq.'s - people do not know what there missing. The stuff you can feel and not here. Awesome. :eek: Congrats on the bass achievement!:D
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Scott:

Thanks - do members of the bass club get any special hats or anything? LOL.......

We have over 100 DVDs in our collection, including all the popular bass busters. Going to have to listen to them ALL again (oh well it's work but sombody's gotta do it)!

Blade II, Fight Club, Monster's Inc., TS2, Titan AE, Atlantis, We Were Soldiers - all spring readily to mind.

TRY...just TRY the DTS version of The Haunting - I'm tellin' ya, there IS a BIG difference. It is mastered VERY hot on the LFE - I'm thinking a solid 3-4 dB better than the DD version.

I have never seen a hard numbers review for the PSW1200 (I've looked extensively) - I'd LOVE to see what that puppy is capable of in terms of both extension and SPL.

The scary thing about this is I haven't pushed the SVS to near its limits yet. The gain control is only at 2/5! I'm told in my size room (1800 ft3), I should be able to see clean bass peaks of 115 dB. We hit 110-111 dB on The Haunting and I just about crapped my pants - that's loud enough for me! Wow!

Doc

SVS
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Thanks - do members of the bass club get any special hats or anything? LOL.......
    No, but you do get to find out what rattles and what will eventually rattle. Falling pictures - get to stand out side your house and remember how it sounded outside movie theaters. Get to see the WOW factor on your friends and familys faces. Especially older people that are like "what the hell was that"!
    Go to another part of your house and see things trembling.
    Ohhhh - you get the point!:D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    WOW! That thing is a fu@kin monster. Are those the 800i you own or 1000i? That sub is huge! I enjoyed reading your review but wanted to know a little more. How did it perform with music? Being flat in the 40-60hz region should give a "faster" and "tighter" sound. Oh yeah, what is your crossover setting?

Maurice
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Hi Organ:

It is the RT800i, and yes - the sub is huge! That is THE singular reason it is able to reach into the subsonic regions without equalization. The internal volume is huge and the ports are large and long, too. These two factors will almost exclusively determine the "tuning point" of the sub.

A DIY builder will be able to tell you more about this - there are several decent cylinder sub websites - ask Ron-P about his.

As far as "faster" and "tighter" goes, I would characterize this as an extremely well controlled woofer, which I'm sure is affected by a ton of variables such as the strength of the mag field and the design of the VC, the cone weight to rigidity ratio, and even the spider and suspension. I do know a ton of R&D went into the design of the db-12 woofer motor.

Last night I was thinking more about the "sound" of this sub as I was listening to a variety of music (even some classic jazz with acoustic bass guitar), and the only word that came to mind was transparent. My two previous sets of subs were decent, but in comparison sounded like a blanket was over them - slightly muffled in other words. The SVS PC+ sounds like the blanket has been lifted away, and all the detail and nuance of the bass comes through perfectly. Even at low volumes the definition and texture of different bass tones is very apparent - I am really starting to appreciate this aspect of the sound.

The crossover on the Kenwood is fixed at 100 Hz when the speakers are set to "normal". This is not a brick wall - the mains/center/surrounds will play below 100 Hz, but I'm not sure what the dB/octave slope of the cutoff is, though.

Doc

SVS