Polks with tubes

Options
gammajo
gammajo Posts: 43
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
A question that is related to my previous post but wanting to seperate out this information. I currently have ss equipment with 2.3's. What changes might I expect by adding a tubed pre, and or a tubed amp? One of the Polks best things is how they do rock. I have heard that tubes are a bit liad back on base. Thank you.
gammajo
Post edited by gammajo on

Comments

• jrlouie
    jrlouie Posts: 462
    edited April 2006
    Options
    From my limited experience with a tubed pre, you'll notice: warmth, smooth sounding music, less harsh to the ear, more natural sounding. I loved it with music.
    Some might argue if you get good enough SS equipment, you can achieve the same thing.
    I actually have been very happy with this chain of equipment making me miss less and less the lack of tubes in the mix: Cambridge CDP --> 990 (bypass) --> Outlaw 7500.
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Jrlouie
    Thank you for your response. Anything you feel ss does better such as slam or sparkle?
    gammajo
  • jrlouie
    jrlouie Posts: 462
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have only had a tube pre, which was hooked up to a SS amp so the slam was always there. Everything sounded great actually.
    The only thing I'd say is maybe the noise floor was slightly more than with my full SS setup. But, I only had an entry level tube pre-amp and maybe that noise floor could've been decreased with a higher level tube pre.
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification
    gammajo
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tube pre with a SS amp equals a winning combination.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You sound like a sports broadcaster Jesse :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Any tube pre that you recommend that doesn't involve alot of fuss with bias adjusting and tube rolling -I had never owned a tubed peice of equipment and want to keep it simple but of course wonderful sounding. Also under 2.5K used.
    Thanks
    Joe
    gammajo
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Nice budget to work with. A new Dodd MLP is $2,800, not far off your budget. But if you could find a used one...
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2006
    Options
    There are a bunch of excellent choices <2.5K, some WAY under....unless you're stuck on that figure.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Definitely not stuck of the figure, if $500 will do it, I'd be thrilled.
    gammajo
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2006
    Options
    gammajo wrote:
    Definitely not stuck of the figure, if $500 will do it, I'd be thrilled.

Ok, then see if anyone is ready to part with their Dodd ELP. ;):)
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The Anthem Pre-1L or 2L w/ remote...are two that always perform very well in the $4-600 bracket.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2006
    Options
    gammajo wrote:
    A question that is related to my previous post but wanting to seperate out this information. I currently have ss equipment with 2.3's. What changes might I expect by adding a tubed pre, and or a tubed amp? One of the Polks best things is how they do rock. I have heard that tubes are a bit liad back on base. Thank you.

Is your name Gavin who lives in Raleigh that wants to sell his polks?
    If so what do you want for them?
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks Bob McG and Dorokusai for your suggestions. I will research them.
    gammajo
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Read-alot
    Nope my name is Joe and I live in Western NC
    gammajo
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Tube pre with a SS amp equals a winning combination.

what about the other way around? ss pre to tube amp?
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have always heard that tube pre and ss amp gives you the power and bass slam of ss with some of the liquidity and warmth of tubes via the pre. Help me understand what are the advantages to what you suggest
    gammajo
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    It'll keep you warmer in the winter... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I tried a Audio Electronics Supply AE-25 Super Amp DJH version with my 1.2's.......Didn't work. Too much output impedance. Sda effect was gone. Check with Ken first.
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Will do thanks
    gammajo
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hi gammajo,

I noticed you have Aragon for amp/preamp, as do I. I wanted to experience tube sound, but didn't want to break the very nice relationship between my amp/preamp, so I upgraded to a tube CD player and i couldn't be happier. Beautiful tube warmth and detail, along with the Aragon power and low-noise makes a great combination to my ears.

Something to think about.

BSU
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I too use a tubed CD player, and find it gives me what I want with my SS mono amps + preamp. However, my analog deck is still what gives me the greatest listening pleasure.

YMMV.
  • ckpiv
    ckpiv Posts: 35
    edited April 2006
    Options
    gammajo wrote:

I just picked up a Dodd MLP from fellow forum member HTrookie to use with my SS Parasound Halo A21 and 2.3's. The difference is unbelievable! The soundstage has more depth and is better defined and the music just has much more presence. The lows are very defined and have a lot more slam. The mids are very smooth and warm with the highs very defined and more realistic. Overall the sound is much more natural. Go with a Dodd ELP or MLP and you will not be disappointed. Everytime I sit down and listen I am in Awe of the sound difference the tubes make with the 2.3's!

Good Luck
    2 ch rig:
    Parasound Halo A21 amp
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audiophilleo 2
    Dodd Audio Tube Preamp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Mac Mini + Amarra, Audirvana Plus, Pure Music
    2TB External HD
    PS Audio P3
    Rotel RCD1072 cd player
    Polk SDA-SRS 2.3 Speakers
  • gammajo
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. They are much appreciated.
    Joe
    gammajo