Office Rig ?s

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
My new job starts next week and I'll have room to set up an office rig.:)

I have most of what I need, except a preamp.

For a source, I have the choice of my Sheng Ya tube cdp or modded AMC CD8b.
For power, I have the choice of my AMC 2100 or ASL Wave 20 monoblocks.
For speaks, I have the choice of Monitor 7As, 10As or RTA 8TLs, though the 10As are an unlikely candidate due to size and no grills.

If I were to eliminate the preamp at home and use the volume control on the Sheng Ya, I could use the Dodd ELP in the office and not have a preamp at home, until I can afford to buy a replacement for the MLP I had to sell a couple months ago. I'd rather not take the Sheng Ya to work, but I have that option as well.

I'm leaning towards the 7As, Wave 20s, CD8b and ELP route.

What do you guys/gals think???
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I like your proposed office rig.

What job are you starting next week. I might have missed that post somewhere along the way. The last I knew, you thought you might have an opportunity to be a sales manager at a new dealership.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • ND13
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm going to run a local used lot. I'll be the manager, salesman, and finance manager all-in-one.:D

It'll be me, the detailer and 40-50 vehicles.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2006
    Options
    kind of like a capt of your own ship thing. Good luck Noel
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ND13
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I hope to get part ownership at some point.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2006
    Options
    a Leisure Suit Larry type lot?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sounds like a great office to hang out in. Good luck!

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    if it were me.. i'd stay away from taking anything of to much value as an office rig.. you never know when someone might help themself to part of your office rig. I'd keep the Sheng Ya and ELP at home, personally.

Oh yeah. congrats on your new venture. You'll do well for yourself.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    if it were me.. i'd stay away from taking anything of to much value as an office rig.. you never know when someone might help themself to part of your office rig. I'd keep the Sheng Ya and ELP at home, personally.

Oh yeah. congrats on your new venture. You'll do well for yourself.

+1 to valuable equipment. Also, congrats and good luck in your new venture!

My recommendation:

AMC integrated (you can get them cheap on the bay or 'gon) or the older SR or TA Nakamichi receivers are nice sounding and inexpensive
    your AMC cdp
    smaller pair of bookshelf speakers from Polk or other manufacturer.

I'd hate to see you take the 7's, the Sheng Ya and the Dodd to work only to have them lifted.

This way if you are burglarized you won't loose some prized equipment.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You'll have the office wired, right?

Try to keep it simple, broham. Test the waters before you dive in. I'd go with the ASL's and the 7a's, or an integrated if you have one...
  • ND13
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    bringing all that nice gear to a new place of work eh? How well do you know these people you trusting soul...

It's just me and the detailer, who works in the back. :p:D No worries about other employees. Don't worry, I'm going to keep it simple, but I'm going to TRY and use what I have before buying something else.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    What's an "office"? :confused:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Id pass on bringing it to work, most of them wont even know what it is if your trying to impress them in a good way.. and how often do you have quality time to listen to such a nice rig at work? I agree, a car lot is no place for high end gear... get a cool intergrated and some bookshelfs.. Good luck Noel i'm sure you'll figure it out what's best..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Don't forget to add a pair of Atriums along the way to attract customers to the lot :):)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited April 2006
    Options
    As long as you can keep the door to your room locked and you have the ONLY key, you should be safe with whatever you put in there.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I always likes my R15's and Luxman receiver system when at the office. Now I like them even more at home, hooked up to my comp.
    Ludicrous gibs!