Digital Harshness - can it develop over time?

Options
2»

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2006
    Options
    If it sounds good it must be live cause Memorex was the worst recording tape that one could employ.

I heard that you only slept on the lawn of a Holiday Inn Express.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2006
    Options
    If it sounds good it must be live cause Memorex was the worst recording tape that one could employ.

I'll 2nd that!:eek: I think this is where the Bose marketing machine got it's ideas. Those old Memorex print ads and TV spots carried a lot of clout back then. Memorex was the tape to have........because THEY (Memorex) said so!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Ella "I'm Almost Deaf Now" Fitzgerald and Chuck Mangione. Two opinions that all my audio buying decisions were hinging on.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Which Ella's recording (not Album) is your favorite, George?

Mine is the 1975 Montreux Jazz by Pablo, followed by Ella and Louis.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Agree... Memorex sucked ****... although I have to say that at least most of my 30+ year-old Memorex CrO2 C-90's still turn. More than I can say for the Ampex that dominate my old stash...

polka, I've an old CD compilation called "The Jazz Singers". Ella near her prime plus Billie H. and Sarah V. The one that really blew me away though was Ruth Brown. Had not even heard of Ruth prior to this CD. Now I have a few more by her...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tour, I never heard of Ruth Brown, either. Hmm, I will check her out..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Atlantic Records was at one time referred to "the house that Ruth (Brown) built". Check out this one...

d661865saj6.jpg

I think I got my copy through BMG, although it doesn't have BMG's name on it anywhere, so it could have been through half.com.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD