Rancho de Audio Speaker Sale

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited April 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Under Construction

Next level time, a lot of fine speakers need a new home. All prices local pickup due to size and weight.

B&W CM4 Rosenut Pair - $1000
$1500 retail, 3 way system. 2 6.5's (each in separate chamber), 1 inch metal dome, bi-wire/amp. Original boxes, original owner - not a mark. One of my all time favorites in its pricepoint. B&W has actually stopped making this model (for re-design) to make it more profitable - I don't see how they sold it for less than 3 grand and made any money.

EZ as Pie DIY Pair - $OLD
2 - way system using the Eminence Alpha 8 and Vifa DX25. Efficient, fun to listen to, 1 of a kind.

Acoustic Research LST-2 Pair - $1000 REDUCED
Classics completely rebuilt by Charlie Cocci in New England about 12 years ago. Crossovers are completely redone, all drivers replaced with the last of the remaining AR replacement stock (at the time). 3/4" tweeters were upgraded to the 1" domes from the LST. A wise audio investment, a true classic.

Fred Arrays - DIY Line Array Pair - n/a
DIY arrays using the Bottlehead Straight 8 tweeter, and ten Silver Flute woofers per side. 95db efficient, amazing soundstage. You simply cannot buy anything, this big, this cool, for this money - period. My dad has 'dibs', but I should know if he wants them tonight.

VMPS New Original Subwoofer - $OLD
Monster subwoofer with 12" active (Megawoofer upgrade) and 15" passive radiator. Subsonic in room, specs to 19Hz in the chamber 3db down. Includes a Russ Abernathy custom made bottom plinth. You will need an amp to power it, I've used a 250 watt proamp (add $100) with great results. Paradigm X-30 active crossover also available if needed (if you don't have bass mgmt / crossover controls in your pre/rec) - add $75.

Pictures to come.
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Russ, can you describe the sound on the Pi speakers - maybe in comparison to something along the lines of an RTi70 or RTi8? Are these bigger, smaller, more or less bass, how does midrange compare?

I'm definitely interested in trying something new, and would like to do so at a bargain...

I don't have the coin for those Freds right now, but we both know that's what I really want:)

Let me know on the PI speakers though as I'm interested in them...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Come check them out, they have a really sweet midrange, great top end, and load up well in a small to medium sized room. Size wise, I'll measure when I get home, 9" wide, about as tall as a 70, a little deeper.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Are they wood, MDF, or a combination of the two? I'd like to come check them out, but am out of town for this week and next. I could come out the weekend of the 14th - how much of a hurry are you in to get rid of these?

EDIT: I found the construction page for these that you linked in your initial thread. it looks like they're painted MDF (look very nice btw). From what I can tell, they should be 11 1/4" wide, 12 1/4" deep, and 37" tall - let me know if that sounds about right - I'm only asking because I'm tight on space (the 70s fit, but just barely). These look a bit wider, deeper, and shorter than the 70s, but I think they'll work, I'll measure when I get home...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Those Fred arrays are kick-****.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    Those Fred arrays are kick-****.
    Yes they are! Granted I don't have a lot of experience listening to hundreds of pairs of speakers - but these are the best I've heard at this point in my life. Anybody with the cash should jump all over these- they're a no-brainer at a grand...
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    "Next level" sounds like some good stuff, Russ. Whatcha got in mind?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Triangle.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Very progressive website.............http://www.trianglespeakers.org/ Looks like they have the 2-way/3-way, anyway you like it down pat.:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Yeah, in my research, I found a few, shall we say 'interesting' web sites.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Russ, I MAY have a buyer on the arrays - did you already work out something with your dad?

I don't know if his wife will go for it, but I know he's been looking for a good pair of line arrays. I wanted to see if they're still available before I even get his hopes up.

Also, in regards to the speakers I'm looking to buy...looks like my out of town plans for the next couple of weeks have just been cancelled. I'll be out of pocket this weekend, but can swing by any night if that's convenient for you - let me know.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Options
    That's a Club price on the arrays. Left pops a msg, haven't heard back yet.

I'm out tonight, just come by one night this week.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Cool, we can talk about the arrays when I visit. He's not a CP member, and if you'd rather keep them in the family well I certainly understand, or if the price is a bit higher for non CP folks that's understandable too. I'll see what you and your father come up with before I mention them to him, maybe you'll know something later this week.

Tomorrow looks fine for me if you're good, but I don't still have your ph # and address, so I'll PM you for the details in a bit...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2006
    Options
    To anyone in the Arkansas area:

I'm headed up your way in about a month, and could deliver speaks to any of you guys living up there who are interested in one of the pairs for sale but can't make it down to do a local pick-up...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2006
    Options
    got a picture of the arrays?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    This site has a search feature you lazy hillbilly.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35630&highlight=fred+array
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I don't know what I'm doing at this point Russ, they won't fit in the rental this weekend anyway.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Russ,

Saw those CM4s on agon this morning. . . they're so pretty, and local, and I'm building a 2-channel rig in the near future, and. . .

If only I had the money and space for them right now :( I should be buying a house in the next 60 days, if they're still around (not likely) and I have any money left, I'll come check them out.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Come listen anyway broham. If I don't have those, I'll have something else for sure.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I know there will be good deals to be had when I'm in a better position to purchase. So hard not to be impulsive. . . whatever generation I'm in (X, Y, Z, whatever) definitely has an extra instant gratification chromosome or two. If I spent as much time house-shopping as audio shopping, I'd of already moved into a place by now.

Just for future reference, how do these speakers compare to Lsi15's and or Beamer CDM 7NT/SEs? Are they all in the same "league?"

My 'rents are downsizing with all the kids out of college and looking at some places in McKinney. I may head up there one weekend to give them my .02 and will try to stop by sometime in the near future.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850