Man, if this isn't confirmation

Options
djreef
djreef Posts: 71
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
That a market still exists for this type of gadgetry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789683643&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This processor is more than 12 years old and still selling for more than 200 bux. And this effect box wasn't anywhere near as effective/convincing as SDA at crosstalk cancellation.

DJ
= 8-->{I>
Post edited by djreef on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I think it would be worth the money IF you didn't own SDA's. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • djreef
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I agree. I actually owned the C-9 (predecessor to the H-9AV) a couple of decades ago. It was a pretty cool little processor, but had its limitations. Still no real comparison to the SDA's of the same time period, though.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2005
    Options
    i own a carver h9 av sonic hologram generator. i bought it new in 1991 i used to use it with a pair of monitor 10 series 2 loudspeakers and a harmon kardon receiver. it is still out in my shed and in pristine condition.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • djreef
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Looks like you should put it on ebay.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I like the C-9 processor a lot, as well as the Hughes AK-100.

They don't limit you to Polk speakers.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I owned a C-9 with a pair of 10B's and an HK 680i receiver in 1986-7. I remember it sounding great on some songs and totally **** up others. I could see it working quite well with an iPod connected to the system, that way one would have a specific song list that worked.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2005
    Options
    That is/was one of the benefits of the outboard processors. They can easily be switched out.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • nathanso
    nathanso Posts: 61
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I am really enjoying my newly acquired Hughes AK-100. Used judiciously, the processed sound is an obvious improvement to my and my wife's ears. It is not simply "SDA in a box", and sounds quite different than my SDA 2B's ever did.
    System: PS Audio HCA-2, PCA-2 + HCPS, Acoustat Model 2+2.
    Tweaks: Behringer DEQ2496, SRC2496, SU9920.
    Friends don't let friends drive cones
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I found the C-9 to very similar to SDA, though the C-9 has a narrower sweet-spot. Cool product if you like the effect.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    $200 is way high for a C-9. I have records of dozens of auctions that closed under $60. Every once in a while a pristine one with original box and manual reaches $100.

Note that the link is now to an auction that's been pulled... Shilling?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Agree w/ Tour....they average about 75 bucks.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut