parasound p3 Pre & tubes, Good match?

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
The title says it and i ask it... I really like the tube amp more then a tube pre at this point and don't plan to use large speakers anymore for a while in the 2 channel rig.. So with that in mind.. The p3 pre looks excellent and full featured for a SS pre.. so will it match with an old Tube amp?
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You'd get a helluva lot more mileage by upgrading the speakers and the source. You haven't heard what your tube gear can do yet.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Will your dealer let you take one home for an in-home trial? Would be interesting to see how it compares to your PAS. I'm still not sure why you're going SS for the pre. Remote control?

What tubes are you using on the PAS right now?

btw, your m/o went out express yesterday. Thanks

Maurice
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    You'd get a helluva lot more mileage by upgrading the speakers and the source. You haven't heard what your tube gear can do yet.

His speakers should be doing great right now. The RT line is so sweet sounding on tubes. I know Cliff was looking into the RB line from Klipsch.
  • faster100
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have Rca 12ax7's in the pass and vintage motorola 6v6's and EH 12ax7's driving em with a vintage sylvania 5u4 gb for the rectifier..

The rt25i's are awesome little speakers, the sources... are fine for now, I just some SS in the mix... the p3 looks so good.. BUT the pas is really nice as well.. so well see
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Cool. Hope everything turns out well.

I can't wait to hear what kind of sound 6V6 tubes produce compared to the EL34/6CA7/KT66/KT77 I've tried.

I've been rolling 12AX7 on my ASL for a while and I'm really diggin the JJ ECC83S. Maybe I'll try EH next.
  • faster100
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The electro harmonix don't jump out and say, Holy crap!! But they do sound good.. I guess neutral like alot of new production tubes seem to be... I also have a set of mesa boogie russian 12ax7's supposed to be sovtek relabeled... havent really done any critical listening with em.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I like neutral. I find JJ to be on the warm side.

If the Mesa Boogie is a Sovtek 12AX7LPS, it's worth doing some critical listening. Great tube.
  • faster100
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Maurice, I love freakin tubes.... when i get tube gear, i go broke buying tubes.. I have EH, mesa, Rca, sylvania and groove tube 12ax7's.. EH, GE, sylvania old green label chrome tops, and motorola 6v6 GT's... sylvania , GE and Rca 5u4 Gb's... i love em man
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You are one hell of a tube freak! And I mean that in a good way:). I think you're the only one here that use the not so common tube (6V6, 5U4). Great how you're experiencing the sound quality from different family of tubes. Keep those tubes rolling and enjoy the tunes:cool:
  • faster100
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I know you love tubes also, your one of thee hardcore tube guys.. I love it..
    My other small 6v6 amp ( 3-4 watt) has bugle boy 6ca4 rectifier and groove tube 12ax7 for the driver... its an old console amp also.. found and salvaged from a console myself.. some eye candy for ya , I made the case, light fixture and finished it myself, that's a vintage "pilot light" on the front... its a glass jeweled light with a light bulb behind it
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL work on that amp. You're quite a handyman. You also did a great job on the Teac you modified. That amp must look awesome in the dark with the pilot light. Thanks for sharing the pic.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The P3 is an outstanding preamp for the money. I used mine with the matching A23 amp and T3 Tuner for quite sometime and was quite pleased with the combo. Like you I am curious what the preamp might sound like with a good tube amp, but I don't have a separate tube amp to try the combo.

I would suggest getting one from Audio Advisor and taking it for a 30 day spin. If you do please keep us posted of your opinions.

Dave
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • faster100
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thanks Maurice, it does look cool with the red light glowing..

I'm almost convinced to just keep the pas, its been starting to sound really good to me.. getting used to both pieces in tubes? Dunno.. ive had a soft spot for the halo pre for a while so maybe that is the allure.. But now its getting extra hot, all these tubes heat the room up pretty good.. nice to have a variety in here. I need to get on the ball and work on the new 6v6 amp i have and start custonizing it like the small one.. add some binders so i can hook up my banana's to it.. and so it doesnt look like a console transplant totally :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp