Swapping tri-lam tweeter with silk dome in CS245i? Possible?

Options
kuntasensei
kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
edited October 2001 in Technical/Setup
My current setup is R10 mains, R10 surrounds, CS175i center, PSW350 sub, Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver (80hz crossover, 12db/octave slope). I went this way because the tri-laminate tweeters are just too harsh sounding to me, while the silk dome tweeters are smooth. My problem is that the CS175i is just not able to hold up to the type of levels I hit in my room, specifically on bass (while the R10's handle bass like a champ). So I'm looking at maybe getting the CS245i to replace my 175i...

However, there is the issue of that tri-lam tweeter, which would not match up with my R10's. I was just wondering... Can I buy the 245i and replace the tri-laminate tweeter in it with the silk dome one from my CS175i? Will the silk dome fit in the same hole as the tri-lam? Will doing this change the impedence of the speaker or cause any other wierd problems? Will this nullify my warranty?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Equipment list:
Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
Emotiva XPA-3 amp
Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
Post edited by kuntasensei on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited September 2001
    Options
    If u check on Ebay, there are some of the discontinued CS250 speakers are available for sale.
    This one was replaced by the CS245i and has the silk dome tweeter instead of the tri-lam.
    Try to replace the tri-lam tweeter on the CS245i is kinda risky…and I didn’t see anyone who try to do this b4…and yeap, u will void the mfg warranty if u try to modify the speaker...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2001
    Options
    What is a cs250 and cs275i?

I do not think it will be an exact fit, and you may end up with a 'hole' in your upper mid to high range. I believe the trilam is used with a 2KHz xover, while the smaller 3/4 inch dome is rolled off around 3000, 3500.....

Shop around though, get some specs from Polk on what the xover/cab are built for in the 245, and buy your own soft dome, and modify....if you feel confident enough to blow the warr. away.

An older cs200/350 might do the trick for ya, but for your setup, Polk does recommend the cs175.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    sorry, the CS245i not CS275i, my typo... I think he really want to take a look at the discontinued CS250...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2001
    Options
    What is a cs250?

Actually, there was a 275, I think.

100, 200, 245, 275, 300, 350, 400, and 1000, in the cs series...('i' models included)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    What is a cs250?

Cheers,
    Russ

CS250 is a discontinued center channel, it came out in early 1996 and discontinued a year after that... the specs is somewhat similar to the CS245i but has the silky dome tweeter in lieu of tri-lam. I still had this speaker in the house... it's a great speaker...
    I can post its specs in here tomorrow if anione interest...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2001
    Options
    If its got the silky dome, post away, I want to hear.

Russ
  • PETERNG
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Here are the specs for the CS250S:

2 -MW4801 drivers
    1-SL5001 tweeter
    Size 6h x 18w x 8d
    Freq Res 80hz - 25khz
    Handle 10-150w/c
    Imdepance 8 ohm
    Efficiency 90 db
    Weight 10 lbs
  • Lee Bailey
    Lee Bailey Posts: 71
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Are you able to set the center channel to a higher crossover point on your receiver? That should help it in the bass area.
    Please feel free to visit my Home Theater Page at The Bailey's Home Theatre in our Living Room.