Analog Audio Cables...

Options
Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5813846672&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Now I know Canare makes great cables but aren't analog audio cables supposed to be low impedence? These are 75 ohm cables/connectors so would they actually be good for analog cables or is this guy just trying to sell his cables to the unknowing (like myself)? The only "technical" training I have on cables comes from Monster via trainings at work and we all know how retar....eerrrr....biased they are. Thanks guys.
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I think the main objective with audio analog cables is relatively low capacitance. The 75 ohm impedance RCA connectors are primarily for video impedance matching but they work fine for audio too.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Toxis
    edited April 2006
    Options
    anyone else???

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,006
    edited April 2006
    Options
    That is one fine cable & the price is right too. Also recommended are Blue Jeans Cable who like the Belden 1505F cable for analog, they are very flexible. For digital they like Belden 1694A cable. However either cable can be used for analog or digital. Also check out RAM ELECTRONOCS who carry both the Belden & Canare cables. I have purchased from both companies & have been very pleased w/ their cables. Just don't get caught up in the high priced cable non-sense. It's not necessary to spend a fortune for cables. Paying more will not, I repeat, will not get you any better music reproduction. Beware of snake oil salesman!!! they lurk behind every corner in this business!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Audio components usually come with generic cables, use them.

If you want to step up or test your brain...make a Belden based cable your first stop, at the very least. Canare terminations are Tonka toy type, and lame....get a quality termination like Vampire, Scosche or WBT. There are others to choose from and I'm sure the help desk will chime in eventually.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Check out www.catcables.com. Doug makes cables to order; quality for the $$.
    [
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Since output impedence is very low and input impedence is very high an impedence of 75 ohms means little. Now in a speaker cable since the input impedence is very low any resistance at all in the cable makes a big difference. For example, if you had a 6 ohm speaker and a cable with 1 ohm resistance about 1/6 of the power would be lost in the cable. That is a LOT! In an interconnect though, if you have a 75 ohm cable and a 47K input impedence only about 1/160th of the power is lost in the cable. Basically nothing.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Item location: Singapore, Malaysia ?????

can you not find a cable you like here in the USofA? you had to go outside the country? ;)

find a cable you like.. demo it in your home and be done with it.. i think to many people stress out about cables.. and wires.. find a good quality cable that fits your budget and sit back and enjoy.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2006
    Options
    miner wrote:
    Check out www.catcables.com. Doug makes cables to order; quality for the $$.

I refuse to do business with Catcables because of the way Doug runs his web site. Very controlling and sneaky actually. I caught a few of his cronies pushing Catcables on a different site without identifying themselves as being affiliated, even when challenged by someone else.

Catcables and Monster I will never do business with, Its just the principle.
    Venom
  • Toxis
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I gave him an offer on a set of 6ch. analogs to try out and he accepted. So why not...

I personally do put a lot of thought into my cables because after I was shown the difference a speaker wire and then a digital coax cable can make, I'm not about to go crap now. lol

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Often 75 ohm IC's are used in the digital domain, e.g, CDP to anti-jitter, anti-jitter to DAC. Russ cued me in on this when he was trialing an anti-jitter unit I loaned him.

Hey, vc...
    Seems like it's been a long time since I've seen you post. How ya doin'?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD