Specs for RT55 and CS245

Options
srowswell
srowswell Posts: 4
edited April 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I am getting ready to sell my RT55 Speakers and CS245 center online, but have lost my user manuals so I am not exactly sure what the specs are to post with the ad. Does anyone have the manual for these and can post the specs? All I could find on the Polk site was the (i) series information. Thanks!!
Post edited by srowswell on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    These pages are copyrighted but the info is free, so don't scan or copy them as they are for auction usage as Polk has pulled them from auctions in the past for this.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/rt55i/

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/cs245i/
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited April 2006
    Options
    srowswell wrote:
    I am getting ready to sell my RT55 Speakers and CS245 center online, but have lost my user manuals so I am not exactly sure what the specs are to post with the ad. Does anyone have the manual for these and can post the specs? All I could find on the Polk site was the (i) series information. Thanks!!

The specs for the non-"i" versions are close to the "i" versions. The main difference is the blue colored woofers and improved crossovers which combine to give a slightly better sound. In addition, the CS245 tweeter is not a tri-laminant. Also, the RT55 probably only has vinyl laminate while the 55i have real wood veneer. For Ebay sales, good pictures are more important than specs. Most people are familiar with these speakers.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • srowswell
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thank you very much! I'll definitely use this information...Has anyone sold something like this on this site, or is something like Ebay better? Thanks again for your responses, you are most helpful!!!
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The RT55s are a nice speaker for alot of Polk fans to have since many consider them to be one of the best bookshelf models that Polk ever made. Here on our Flea market, they go for around $200. On ebay, they will command more if you have nice pictures and condition is great. The 245 center is getting around $100 anywhere since it is fairly common.

Good luck if you decide to sell,

Dennis
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • srowswell
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Yeah, it's definitely hard to sell these, but our apartment is so small and doesn't allow noise so they're not being used...I want someone to be able to enjoy them well. They are in great condition, really almost mint. They weren't used when I was consulting in London for about 3 years and I don't think there's a scratch on them.

Is it difficult to ship these? I don't want them to break in transport. I was thinking on Ebay and just do local pickup or delivery
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Proper packaging is the key to any speaker surviving transit. The RT55s shipped together when new, but it made for a huge bulky box that was sure to piss off the shipping guys. I would package them separate if the original box is gone.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Proper packaging is the key to any speaker surviving transit. The RT55s shipped together when new, but it made for a huge bulky box that was sure to piss off the shipping guys. I would package them separate if the original box is gone.

I agree with Dennis on this point. Both speakers together are like 76lbs, too much for the average person carry without struggling. You don't want people struggling with the box at every transfer station along the way. That's a shure way for damage. Ship them speparately with FedEx Ground wrap them in about 5 layers of the thick bubble wrap with a good strong double walled box and they will be fine. Most people will pay extra to make sure that the speakers are shipped properly.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • srowswell
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the great advice!!!