Find out how many watts you use

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
OK, I got this formula from a different forum. I think it's correct, I'll have to go through my text book to confirm this but I'm too lazy at the moment.

Use your multimeter. Set it to measure AC Voltage. Play your music at reference level and measure the voltage on one of the outputs of your amp (with speakers playing). The voltage reading will fluctuate because music is complex. Then, you take your highest reading, square that, and divide by the impedance of your speakers. There, you'll have your answer in Watts.

I tried this out earlier today. I pushed my rig to ear bleeding levels that I wouldn't listen at and took the measurement and did the calculations.

Well, at the highest peaks, my speakers were only using 5.29W/ch! Effin encredible! And I used 4 Ohms in the formula just to be safe even though my speakers are 8 nominal.
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your ears...............I hear that Klipsch makes alot of peoples ears bleed.:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I like to let them get physical on me but would never let them make my ears bleed:). They know they have to play nice with me or else I'll feed them SS power.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Are you sure your calculations are correct?
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2006
    Options
    We've had this discussion a few times, people are generally shocked at how little power they actually consume.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Are you sure your calculations are correct?
    He's running 98db/w speakers. I'm pretty sure he's doing just fine with 5 watts :cool:

I need to get myself a multimeter so I can do fancy things like this...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2006
    Options
    You could also get an estimate by putting an SPL meter, one meter away from the speaker, then do your calculations based on the efficiency of the speaker and amplitude shown on the meter.

So, with 90db efficient speaker.
    90db on spl at one meter = 1 watt.
    93db = 2 watts
    96db = 4 watts
    99db = 8watts
    102db = 16 watts
    105db = 32 watts
    108db = 64 watts
    111db = 128watts
    114db = 256 watts
    117db = 512 watts
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Yeah, life would be perfect in an anehoic chamber.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2006
    Options
    PT,
    Double check your numbers. You doubled up on the 8's
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Organ. Your formula is correct. By the calculations you performed you would only have seen 4.6 volts looking at your multimeter and using the 4 ohms impedance. This does seem a little low voltage wise if you were really pushing it.
    A digital multimeter may not be fast enough to capture the fluctuations between highs and lows in the audio signal. I suspect you were pushing a little more voltage and power than that.
    A peak RMS voltmeter or perhaps a storage oscilloscope would give you a faster capture time on your signal.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Well, considering his speakers are 98db efficient, at 5.29 watts, he should be putting out almost 105db, ignoring the effects his room would have. 105db isn't too bad for rocking out, I wouldn't think.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited April 2006
    Options
    What about the changing impedence of the speaker as the frequency changes. This is a good rule of thumb measurement, but probably not all that accurate. As Zendragon stated the volt meter is probabaly a bit slow to capture the info needed. Neat concept though. And I completely agree the amount of power needed for normal listening is pretty low.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Zen Dragon wrote:
    A digital multimeter may not be fast enough to capture the fluctuations between highs and lows in the audio signal. I suspect you were pushing a little more voltage and power than that.
    A peak RMS voltmeter or perhaps a storage oscilloscope would give you a faster capture time on your signal.

I was wondering about the speed. I figured a standard multi-meter or voltage meter would not have the response needed to even estimate the peaks, much less get close. Then again, 98dB is awfully efficient.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • puunda
    puunda Posts: 116
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I use a McIntosh wiht the famous meters on them. And for music, I've never got it above 5W. Anything above 5W is bearable (not too loud), but too inpleasent. I don't think it's the speakers (SDA 1.2TL's), but the bright room. If I had a better room, I believe I can get them much louder. Having said that, most people would only listen to it at 1W. I know cause I listen to them much louder than other poeple I know.
  • Modvlar
    Modvlar Posts: 51
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Yup Yup,

I've got meters running on all my amps, one even has peak hold. Find background fill music under 1 watt, normal listening around 1-2 watts, loud listening 5~10, and then the wall-shaking ear-bleeding levels which I've never been able to go past about 60w (the point where the police are pounding down your front door, since you couldn't hear them knocking over the music).

If you are able, try using a test tone CD, and carefully listen to the point where the shape of the sound begins to noticably distort (400Hz and less). You'll be surprised how low wattage that is. Only a few speaker companies will list the power to distortion ratios. Sensitivity may be 92db/w, but 1% distortion may kick in at 86~89db.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Power is all about reproducing transients.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Power is all about reproducing transients.
    in my system it seems that the more power and by that i mean not just watts per channel but also high current the more effortless the music sounds. having lots of power in reserve is a good thing regardless of how much power the loudspeakers actually see at loud volume levels.thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • Zen Dragon
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Modvlar wrote:

(the point where the police are pounding down your front door, since you couldn't hear them knocking over the music).
    QUOTE]

If you can hear the police pounding then there is still room to move the volume up. I never hear the pounding till it's in between songs. :D
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    After reading about the delay multimeters have, I decided to try again. This time, I used the loudest passages for measurement.

The test song I used was "Excuse Me While I Kill Myself" by Sentenced. The chorus is the loudest part of the song, had the most consistent dynamics and also the longest, so the meter should have time to catch up. Again, no more than 5.29W/ch. This was loud as hell. The whole house was shaking and I couldn't even stand in front of the speakers because it was painful. Again, I used 4 Ohms for the speaker impedance but I doubt my RF-35's dip that low.

So if I was indeed pulling off 5.29w/ch, that would be around 108db total from both speakers at 1m. This is going by the speakers specs measured in an anechoic room, so it was probably a lot higher than that when room effects are taken into account. It still amazes me how efficient these speakers are.

When I have more time to play around, I'm gonna give it a shot against my LSi9. That should be interesting.
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Zen Dragon wrote:

If you can hear the police pounding then there is still room to move the volume up. I never hear the pounding till it's in between songs. :D

LOL:D
  • Zen Dragon
    edited April 2006
    Options
    With your efficiency it is possible that is all the power you are pushing. What make/model multimeter were you measuring the signal with and what was the reading?
    Another method of power measurement is to put the multimeter in series with the positive lead and measure the peak current flowing. Of course you need to be sure the multimeter can handle the anticipated current, and most handhelds are no good over 10A. You just blow the multimeter fuse.
    The formula then becomes current squared x resistance (impedance) to determine power.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2006
    Options
    A slightly better way to do this would be to establish the level, then swap in a CD with a 60hz sine wave test tone recorded at full volume. That way you could look up the exact impedence (assuming you've got impedence charts) and the multimeter speed wouldn't matter. This would represent the biggest transient that could come through off a CD... just be careful not to melt your speakers.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Zen Dragon
    edited April 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    A slightly better way to do this would be to establish the level, then swap in a CD with a 60hz sine wave test tone recorded at full volume. That way you could look up the exact impedence (assuming you've got impedence charts) and the multimeter speed wouldn't matter. This would represent the biggest transient that could come through off a CD... just be careful not to melt your speakers.

Excellent idea. A constant test tone would take out all the fluctuations of a musical mixed signal. 60Hz at high power would be a mighty hum. You could go up towards 400Hz as well.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2006
    Options
    But who rocks out to sine waves? I like the idea of having a constant instead of keeping so many variables but you'd probably use a lot less average power listening to music despite any big peaks.

This idea might work alright if you measure your normal listeing level with an spl meter and then replicate it with a sine wave but I think if you do it that way you'll be drawing more power and get a higher number.