ESavinon
ESavinon Posts: 3,066
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Which sacd player would you consider?
A: 2 channel
B: 5 channel
SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
Post edited by ESavinon on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Both. I would personally prefer it to be multi-channel capable, if at all possible.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Many have both choices, although it seems that the more serious ones are 2 channel only with a couple of exceptions. Are you in the market?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I chose multi-channel because would like to have the capability to sit back every now and then and be in the middle of the music, but I would most definitely listen in stereo most of the time.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ESavinon
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm looking for a new sacd/cd player.

I have my eye on a Marantz Reference Series SA-11S1 and the music hall maverick sacd player.They're both 2 channel.

I've noticed that the multichannel sacd players out there are dvd/sacd players while the 2 channel players are sacd/cd players only.

I want this sacd for my 2 channel sda 1.2tl/carver amazing platinum system.
    I'm mostly interested in getting a really good redbook cd player along with a good sacd player but if i can find a unit that can excel at both and give me good multichannel sacd/dvd a in one package then i'd be a very happy with that. so far it's either one or the other.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Both... since I have that choice, but if I did not, I'd take the 2-ch.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Both. I don't like having limits with my music.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I have my eye on a Marantz Reference Series SA-11S1 and the music hall maverick sacd player.They're both 2 channel.
    There's a big price difference between those two. Are you looking for new or used?

BTW, I'm firmly in the 2 channel camp.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    BTW, I'm firmly in the 2 channel camp.

Well THERE is a revelation. ;)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2006
    Options
    2 channel. Surround is a nice novelty, but it needs to revolve around the front two.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    i vote for multi channel. there is plenty of 2 channel media out there to listen to. give us more multi-channel music.

I"m dissapointed in those SACD's that are 2 channel only. It really should have both on one disc.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Both. Some SACD is unlistenable in multi channel. When the multi channel is mixed right, not too aggressive in the rear channels, it's wonderful.

I use a universal player and DVD-A is also available. I can't hear the difference in sound quality between SACD and DVD-A. DVD-A can be a headache to start because of the menu driven playback, but there are albums on DVD-A that aren't available on SACD. Eagles Hotel California, Natalie Merchant's Tiger Lily, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Donald Fagan's Night Fly , Kamikiad and a number of others.

I found that my 5.1 channel levels need to be different than the standard HT setup. I set the rear channel levels way back, and the center channel a little lower. This seems to blend a little better with the front channels. I like the rear channels to be a little more ambient. A lot of SACDs are mixed to be more ambient in the rear channels. Norah Jones, Miles Davis and others are more ambient. A lot of the Sony classics that have been remastered into SACD are only two channel.
    Carl

• Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited March 2006
    Options
    It is nice to have the option to switch to multi. If the recording is done well it gives you the perspective of sitting in the center of a circular stage.
    I've got the Steely Dan Gaucho SACD, and love Babylon Sister in multi-channel.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I thin Gaucho is the only Steely Dan in SACD. I have it and love the album. As you mentioned Babalon Sisters, Hey Nineteen and Gaucho is great stuff!:D Steely Dan's recording are used for critical listening courses for aspiring audio engineers. My son had this course when studying audi recording engineering down in Nashville. Steely Dan was one of the Professor's favorite genre to assign student listening tasks and then write about what they heard (techniques, instruments, overdubbing, plug ins, etc. Fagan and Brecker's attention to the recording technique and mix was not only unique among many artists, but was ingenious in structure. Listen to it carefully in multi channel. It was recorded in two channel with multi channel in mind. They were definitely in The New Frontier;)
    Carl

• ESavinon
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm planning on buying new. I'm leaning towards the marantz as of now.
    The phillips DVD963SA sacd player i have is a multichannel sacd with an upsampling cd player.
    I'm going to downsize. Currently i have 3 audio systems ( 2-2 channel audio and 1- 5.1 ht system).
    I'm eliminating 1- 2 channel system and upgrading the rest.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm also upgrading my amplifiers. I'll be triamping my 2 channel system for use with my 1.2 tls and carver amazings.
    I'm planning on getting 2 parasound halo jc-1 along with a halo a21.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,227
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Well, I have both. I have a multichannel (Denon DVD-2900) in my living room/HT system and I have a two channel (Sony SCD-C333ES) in my "not so budget anymore" 2-ch system.
    Gotta say that the Sony sounds a hellofalot better than the Denon by my ears.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • F1nut
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Not having heard either of your choices about all I can say is the Marantz is built like a brick **** house and their other SACD players get good reviews. Then again, I've heard from some fellas with the MH that they love it. Are demos possible?

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I guess both although I don't know how much longer SACD's will really hold out.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • ESavinon
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'll be making the rounds at the hi fi shops soon auditioning a few marantz sacd players along with other brands(denon,music hall,arcam,cary,etc). I'll post my findings soon.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    We look forward to your preview feedback. Alot of us are interested in your opinions.

Carl
    Carl

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Both....if I have the money and room for such a setup. For now, just 2 channel.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Check out the Cary CD-306 sacd, a great player. You need both players. You can get a 2ch sacd with discreet circuity for Redbook playing, of course Redbook will sound great, but SACD even better. It seems SACD/CD has cornered the market on the Hi-Fi gear. That is why its going to be here, albiet the media may cost more.

That said I would also pick up one of the universal players the Denon 2900 fits well into rack without a monitor, I also have a Pioneer Elite player which sounds as good but seems to work better with a monitor to naviagate the menu. Heard a Marantz at the last fest, nice piece, about the same as the Denon and Pioneer to my ears, but different racks so not a good comparison I suppose.

I have not listened to a multi-channel disc in over a year so I guess I am 2ch.

Happy Hunting.
  • carvin77
    carvin77 Posts: 10
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I chose multi-channel!