one port or two?

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
i have a psw 350 sub. if i want the best or deepest bass extension from the sub.. should I have both ports open or one of them closed or both of them closed? I have them both open right now.. my thinking was that i would get the best respose with them both open... so that more air could move the sub speaker.

anyone set me straight. thanks
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    Options
    I'll take a stab, ONLY based on what I've read on the SVS website. If you plug one of the three 3" ports on an SVS CS+, PC+, or Ultra, you will increase the bass extension about another 5Hz deeper. As a trade-off, this will also slightly reduce the ultimate SPL the speaker is capable of achieving.

If you have a DVD test disc like Avia or Stryke, etc. and a SPL meter, plug one of the ports with a nerf ball and see if it plays a bit deeper before it rolls-off as compared to two open ports.

If it sounds like crap, you can always go back to normal!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited September 2002
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ports open should be max extension mode (lowest response). Ports closed should be max spl mode (highest volume). I wasn't aware the 350 offered that option, good deal.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The HSU VTF-2 and VTF-3 are box subs with twin ports, similar to the PSW350.

According to the HSU website, leaving both ports open gives the highest output and highest tuning point. Plugging one port reduces overall output capability, but also lowers the tuning point (32-25 in the VTF-2, and 22-18 in the VTF-3).

All I can suggest is to test it both ways and see what happens.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS