Quake IV

Options
PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited March 2006 in Video Games
Anyone played yet? I just downloaded the demo but haven't played it.
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I played it, and I didn't like it too much. Then again, I come from the UT Series of games so there is a natural rivalry there. This isn't my type of game for FPS. I'm really looking forward to the new Rainbow Six game coming out in a week or so.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I didn't like it much. I was a huge Quake 3 fan and I think I still prefer Quake 3s multiplayer to Quake 4s. Although Quake4 is really the only game of its kind out right now... it is all twitch based.
    I only played the single player demo and quit after about 10 minutes. I wasn't having any fun.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Eh ... not that great ... too close to a Doom3 stuff in game play with a few better goodies thrown in here and there . I'd say wait till the price is lower , then maybe grab it .
    The demo will give you some idea of game play , but the demo is VERY short .
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I played Quake 2 and never returned to the series. It has very low appeal to me.

UT is my cup of tea.
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited December 2005
    Options
    No version of Quake will be as apealing to me as the first one. If they never came out with quake I would have gotten much better grades my senior year:) Quake world, joining clans, complaining about LPB's......those were the days.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Yeah Quake 1 was a great game. I have to figure out how to get it to run on my laptop.

I played the Quake 4 demo. It was okay. Not as good Doom3, and it reminded me of Quake 2 a lot (not a good thing). I'll probably pick it up when the price drops.
    Graham
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Just played part of the Q4 demo. I had the "been there, done that" feeling. It was like Doom3 meets Starship Troopers. The old Quake was better. Remember when flies would gather around the corpse of something you killed? Now your enemies vapoorize... lame.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I hate the whole "disappearing bodies" thing that all the games are doing now. I loved it in the old Doom games when you could go back thru a level and see all the corpses you just killed lying all over the place.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Thats PROBALLY to save resources... but I agree - I wish bullet holes, bodies, everything remained in the game...

Man... in Halo... the ground would be so cluttered... I'm not sure it would work... LOL
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    I had the "been there, done that" feeling. It was like Doom3 meets Starship Troopers.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Although for some reason, I find it more fun than Doom 3. I don't know why, but I do. Maybe because Doom was too gimicky and tried to scare you. Anyways, I just finished the first part of the campaign. It was fun. I am sure I will do my best to finish the single player campaign.

Now the multiplayer, holy crap, it blows. I mean BE-looooooows. Has to be perhaps the worst FPS multiplayer I have had the misfortune of playing.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options
    For all of you Quake fans, I still have a shrink-wrapped Quake I shareware version sitting next to me in my top drawer. It came with my brother's Rendition Verite 3D card, which predates the original Voodoo series. It was the first card to offer 3D hardware acceleration for Quake. It even did bilinear texture filtering AND true full-screen antialiasing.

Yes, it was sick! We could play at 400x300 or sometimes 512x384 res with our Pentium 100. Eat that!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I've always been more ot a UT fan myself...have not tried Quake 4 yet...but I loves me some UT 2004...sure Q4 has better graphics and stuff though...
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The biggest problem with q4 is its a big fat pig that offers nothing new. Its EXACTLY like q3 with updated textures/shadows ie. eye candy. The machine you need to run this game smoothly is insane. Who the hell is gonna spend that kind of money on a rig to play a pretty version of q3?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The same person that is going to play other high end games?
  • Shizelbs
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Or play it on the 360.
  • karpiel666
    karpiel666 Posts: 173
    edited March 2006
    Options
    the 360 is basically a low end gaming computer, so its not worth playing on 360
    for the eye candy. I think its worth it if you have a mid-high end pc because its pretty.
    dvd player: samsung DVD-HD850
    receiver: Denon avr5700
    center: polk cs400
    fronts: polk rt800i
    surrounds: Unknown Polk monitor? series.
    sub: svs pb12 isd/v
    tv: 46 inch samsung