looking for good center channel match

Options
catzcradle
catzcradle Posts: 13
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
First time here, was considering replacing my whole vintage polk setup, but just can't give up the sound I have for the unknown. I am currently running a pair of SRS 3.1 main channel speakers, and a pair of monitor series 2 5jr's for the main surrounds, and a pair of monitor 4.6's for the back surround and center channel. Now I am upgrading to a 7.1 system, and want to use both 4.6's for the side surrounds, and the 5's for the rear surrounds. I am trying to snag a cs350 center off of ebay, as it uses the same tri-laminar dome tweeter. Are there other center channel speakers I should be looking at as well to come close to timber matching the current setups? Also were there any sub's that come to mind that were from that era?

I bought these in the early 90's I believe from the N. Cal good guys clearance for such a bargain price, and have always been in love with the sound that they produce even without serious horsepower behind the main channels. (Using an Outlaw Audio model 1050, soon to become a 1070)
HT System:
Outlaw Audio model 1070 Receiver
Sony DVP-70 DVD
Dish 611 HD DVR
Polk SRS 3.1 mains
Polk Monitor 4.6 series 2 Side surrounds
Polk Monitor 5Jr Rear surrounds
Polk CS-350 Center
SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
Post edited by catzcradle on

Comments

• peteran
    peteran Posts: 141
    edited March 2006
    Options
    CS400 and CS400i use also the Tri-Laminate Tweeter.
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    And will do anonymouse.
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I have read that, regarding eBay items, members do not bid against each other (I've read this in response to someone posting an item they had on eBay). Well, is there an informal policy of announcing one's intention to bid for an item, to preclude such competition?

From catzcradle's post here, I would guess that he is looking at the same cs350's that I am. What is the proper etiquette in this situation?
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm glad you brought that up, I hadn't even thought about it. I was going to avoid the one from pawn shop person, and was targeting the few that were in current homes.
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Since I can't PM yet, I'll just let you know I am bidding on item 5876985846. I'll leave the others alone
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the Club Polk. The CSi40 also has the trilam, it would also be a good match.
    Carl

• catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. CSi40? or CS400? the 40 says it uses the new silk dome tweeter, and I've always liked the sound reproduction of the tri-lam.

Seems like polk has moved on to newer tech, which makes sense.

I did finally decide on the SVS 20-39 PCi for the sub, based on numerous reviews, and a few emails with their tech department and a sketch of my room
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Okies. That 350 will be on it's way to it's new home this week. Hopefully everything survives the trip.

Thanks for the help to everyone here
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,280
    edited March 2006
    Options
    If you're strictly looking for money, by all means put it on Ebay. No one has a problem with someone making money.

If you're looking to pass on some speakers to someone who hopefully would appreciate them with an enthusiasm not centered on, "Hey, d0000d, did I ever score a sweet deeel on Polk Audio !!", and receive some monetary compensation at the same time, than list away on the FM forum.

But ..... not both at the same time.

It cheats the folks bidding on Ebay who might be thinking they're heading for the winning bid on a nice Polk speaker, only to have the listing pulled. Plus, I believe when you list on Ebay, Ebay expects you to sell on Ebay. Sell somewhere else, they still expect there money. I believe.

I personally wouldn't sell to anyone with less than 500 posts.

I actually was in PM when I first got on CP with someone about buying some speakers on the FM forum, but you know what: After seeing the balogna occurring with Newbies, of whom I am one, I've decided to make my own little statement.

I won't buy until I've reached at least 500 posts, and made some sort of contribution to the board. I don't care if someone is GIVING their stuff away, and pays for shipping to boot.
    And once I reach that level, and I have some AUDIO/VIDEO equipment to sell, I won't sell to anyone with less than 500 posts.

I'll post links to sites that have some good deals going, but that will be the extent of it.

You know what, the more I think about it, change those numbers listed above to 750. No, make that 1000. Yeah, 1000 posts.

Be nice to see other Newbies do the same thing.

<shove> <shove> <shove>

....sorry, that was me pushing my soapbox back over to the corner.
    Sal Palooza
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Thanks for your input on the buy/sell thing. I hadn't even thought originally of buying from here as I didn't see what I was looking for, and since I have been on for such a short time didn't feel it was appropriate, but when the etiquitte question came up, I wanted to let him know which item I would limit myself to so that we weren't fighting for the same speaker.

I've been using forums, and been part of online communities since the multi-line trex BBS's and 300 baud modems, so when I need to extend my area of knowledge, and get opinions, I generally look for a forum group.

Personally am looking very forward to my ebay pickup for the CS350 as it looks like it should match well with my SRS's and extend my polk's life for another generation of sound source equipment.
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • gyusher
    gyusher Posts: 77
    edited March 2006
    Options
    All is fair in Love, War and eBay. . .

I will not be concerned about who is bidding on what. . . If I want it I bid regardless of who the bidders are and I expect the same treatment from other bidders. . .

Now saying this. . . If I know in advance, be it from the forum or email or whatever I will back off. If I see a known name as a bidder I will either back away or email the bidder.

Typically if I am a buyer I will place a (minimum)bid early in the auction for all to see. If anyone I know is interested in that item all they have to do is get word to me one way or the other and if I am really intent on buying it I plead my case if not I back off. . .I do not use a sniping program. . .

I know too many bidders who put minimum bids on about every auction they see hoping there will be no bidders.

It is just to hard to keep up with who every bidder is and often eBay names are different that forum names.

Above all I will not feel guilty about bidding on anything. I know I like a lot of things that fellow members like as well and with so many bidders sniping at the end it is just about impossible to know who else is wanting the same item. . .

I mean it is an auction where the highest bidder wins right??
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yeah, ebay is practically a household word these days. I've never used any of the 3rd party apps, and my wife does most of our buying/selling there. When I really want an item, I try to put in the max bid I'd be happy with and not even watch it further till it ends. But some items that are more rare, I will be watching till the last tick.
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Welcome, catzcradle (Vonnegaut fan?)...
    We often choose not to compete against each other for readily available Polks on ebay. Rarer Polks... different story.

As for selling on ebay. They get their $$$'s for the listing and commision based on the starting price or reserve, if any. Ads get pulled all the time. They don't like it (as they often make less), but it's done.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • soiset
    soiset Posts: 724
    edited March 2006
    Options
    catzcradle wrote:
    Okies. That 350 will be on it's way to it's new home this week. Hopefully everything survives the trip.

Thanks for the help to everyone here

Congratulations. That was the sweetest of the lot, considering it came with the original box and manual. I had to leave town on short notice (Mamaw passed away) and I couldn't bid or respond anyway. Looks like you had to fight pretty hard for it.

I am on pretty thin speaker-buying ice in this household, but I may try to sneak a cs350 in under the radar soon.
  • catzcradle
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yeah, that was the one I was hoping for. Should be shipped out from the east coast today (hopefully) Good luck in your bidding. The one that was the next day also sold for the same amount.

Sorry to hear about your loss, that is tragic, and transcends even good audio gear.
    HT System:
    Sony DVP-70 DVD
    Dish 611 HD DVR
    Polk SRS 3.1 mains
    Polk CS-350 Center
    SVS PCi 20-89 Sub