CRS. . .Center channel query. . .

Options
gyusher
gyusher Posts: 77
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I want to use one of my CRS speakers as a center channel speaker. . . Any problems using just one or should I run them both. , , I have Monitor 10s for fronts and rears and love the energy. I have tried several Polk centers including the CS-2 but have not been very excited. . . Just from looking at the CRS it should be a killer center speaker. . .

Worst case I could use one of my 10s for center but size wise the CRS is perfect. I wont have them until maybe tomorrow so I have not tried yet. I am quite sure you guys know more than me about this.

BTW shielding is not a problem since my display is LCD. . .
Post edited by gyusher on

Comments

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Several members have tried this. Use the search feature up top with "CRS center" and "comb center" for more reading.

Do your CRS speakers have one or two tweeters?

When you disconnect the SDA cable, you lose the benefit of the outer (SDA) mid-woofers. Here is the CRS+ rewiring method so that both mid-woofers operate. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11878#post113521
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited March 2006
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    ...Larry? :)

Hi Bob,

The reason I was holding back on responding to this thread is that I don't have background regarding the drivers in the vintage Monitor 10s. I believe that the Monitor 11s have the exact same drivers as the SDA-CRS+s. The 10s no doubt are very close, to the CRSs, so my guess is that they would be a good timbre match, perhaps you or some of the other veterans can confirm the issue about identical drivers.

gyusher:
    I don't think you will have any problem running just one CRS.

With regard to running two, this thread may be of interest. In it I discuss the pros and cons of running two CRSs for center channel.

How's this for a center ch. solution

I'm running two vertically stacked CRS+s in a home theater setup. Click on the link in my signature if you're interested in the details.

Larry
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Thanks guys.. .

I have 2 both have 2 tweeters and are in absolutly perfect condition. They look like they just came out of the box. . .

Eventually they are for my stereo system driven by a Kenwood KA-3300SD integrated amp but for now center maybe just one or maybe both if I have room. . .

I guess the biggest question was how they would work without the cable. . .
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    gyusher wrote:
    I guess the biggest question was how they would work without the cable. . .

Like half a speaker unless you rewire them.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options

I see. . .

I know people in the past who bought these things new and never used that cable yet were happy as a clam. . . I knew about Polk at the time but was so JBL crazy that they never had a chance. . . Now I can't get enough of them. . .
  • Larry Chanin
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner
    gyusher wrote:
    I see. . .

I know people in the past who bought these things new and never used that cable yet were happy as a clam. . . I knew about Polk at the time but was so JBL crazy that they never had a chance. . . Now I can't get enough of them. . .

Hi,

As Dennis suggests in his remark, the dimensional driver won't operate without a stereo signal and a connected interlink cable. However, there are four drivers in each CRS cabinet and I can assure you that it won't sound "like half a speaker" if just the dimensional driver isn't operating. Since you have the speakers give it a try. If you have a suitable stereo amplifer try both of them. Let us know what you think.

Larry
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I wouldn't worry with a rewire since you possess the early models with 2 tweets and 2 mids. Too much hassle. I would set them both side by side, run the mono center signal into them and hook the SDA cable up. You may get comb filtering and signal cancelling, but the amount of sound out of that setup compared to the average center would still be huge. Imagine a center channel with 4 mids and 4 tweets...........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Imagine a center channel with 4 mids and 4 tweets...........

That's what I'm talking about. . .

However. . . Since I bought these guys for my Kenwood KA-3300SD amp I may keep them just for stereo sound like I originally intended. Still that center with 4 mids and 4 tweeters looking down your goozle pipe is intriguing. . .Not to mention the 2 PRs adding weight. . .
  • Polk65
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Your Monitor 10's and SDA CRS may both have mw6503 mid-woofers. Mine do, but this is not always what you will find inside. Carefully unscrew each driver to check their labels. Sometimes one or more of the drivers will seem to be stuck. Try removing a tweeter and once you get one of them out, you can stick a hand inside to gently push the drivers that are stuck. When you are finished, tighten the screws firmly to seal the cabinet but do not overtighten them.

I see that your Monitor 10's have the sl2000 tweeters and you are going to replace them. If all of your mid-woofers turn out to be mw6503's you should consider replacing the SDA CRS tweeters with the same ones you ordered for the Monitor 10's.

The drawback here is the replacement tweeters will not fit into the SDA CRS tweeter holes. You will have to enlarge the holes a little bit to accomodate the new silk tweeters. A dremel and patience are the tools of choice for this. I would try one or both of the SDA CRS as centers without rewiring them.
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:
    . Sometimes one or more of the drivers will seem to be stuck. Try removing a tweeter and once you get one of them out, you can stick a hand inside to gently push the drivers that are stuck. When you are finished, tighten the screws firmly to seal the cabinet but do not over-tighten them.

Right now the only stuck or seized drivers are my Monitor 4s that I just bought. . . These are rear surrounds. . . I have thought about using both of them for center because they fit perfectly in the space I have right below the display. . . I tried moving the magnet but to no avail. . .Oh it moves alright but never to a place that frees up the cone. . .

Yes at some point in the near future once I settle down to the configuration that I am going to stay with I will be buying new tweeters for everything. . .

I have fooled around with surround sound of some sort since the 70s including at one point around 50K worth of electronics including speakers, maybe more but never I mean never have I heard the energy that these Monitor 10s add to the mix.

Times have changed and no longer can I afford a 50K Iron Mistress so I make do with what I can which is now a Denon 3806 and all these Polks, and lest we forget 1 SVS PB12isd/2 subwoofer. . .

The sound I get today is as good as I have heard, in my room anyway, and a 1000 times more rewarding. . .Even my wife has jumped on-board and every-time I tell her that I am going back to small speakers so she can have her room back she goes crazy. . . You can never go back. . .

All these years I have tried to please me. . . Now I try to please her, and guess what?? What she likes is much better than doing it my way. . .Plus it keeps her happy. . .

Only problem now is finding a remote that she can handle. . .As it sits today she listens to the radio all day waiting for me to get home so I can operate the HT system. . . That's not a bad thing. . .
  • Polk65
    edited March 2006
    Options
    By "stuck" I was referring to the gasket seal between the drivers and the cabinet which sometimes sticks even after removing the four screws.

The other kind of "stuck" is from shipping damage. Sometimes gentle bumps around the magnet with a rubber hammer can save the day.

The Monitor 4's will be ok as surrounds, but their tweeters are different so keep them out of the mix up front.

It's always great to have the wife on board. Check out the Logitech Harmony remotes. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistharmony/US/EN,CRID=2080
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:

Next on the list. . .
  • Larry Chanin
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I wouldn't worry with a rewire since you possess the early models with 2 tweets and 2 mids. Too much hassle. I would set them both side by side, run the mono center signal into them and hook the SDA cable up. You may get comb filtering and signal cancelling, but the amount of sound out of that setup compared to the average center would still be huge. Imagine a center channel with 4 mids and 4 tweets...........

Hi Dennis,

Actually the older CRSs had five drivers per cabinet, 2 mids, 2 tweeters and a rear-facing passive radiator. My understanding is that in order to send a signal to the dimensional drivers (one mid and one tweeter in this older CRS) there has to be a difference in signals between the right and left speakers. That is the signal must be stereo, as in Stereo Dimensional Array. ;) So if both speakers are receiving the same mono signal then, even with the SDA interlink connected, no interaural crosstalk cancelling signal would be sent to the dimensional drivers. Since the interlink doesn't appear to be doing anything in this application, there may be an advantage of leaving them off because then you could use non-common ground amplifiers without fear of damaging the speakers.

gyusher:

I agree with Dennis that having two excellent center channel speakers is likely to outweigh any negative effects of comb filtering. However, I believe if you are able to stack the dual speakers vertically, versus placing them horizontally, you will achieve better performance and perhaps mitigate the effects of comb filtering.

One of the primary purposes of having a physical center channel is to precisely anchor a sonic image, particularly dialog, in the center of the soundfield even for off-axis listeners. Placing two center channels horizontally defeats this objective by smearing the sonic image for listeners seated off-axis. (Fortunately, it still presents centered phantom images for listeners on-axis.)

Conversely, vertically stacked center channel speakers present a compact and centered sonic phantom image regardless of whether the listeners are seated on-axis or off-axis.

For a discussion of vertically stacked center channels and how they may be able to reduce the effects of comb filtering, you might find this thread that Dennis started of interest.

Dual Centers for Front Projection?

Larry
  • Larry Chanin
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:
    The drawback here is the replacement tweeters will not fit into the SDA CRS tweeter holes. You will have to enlarge the holes a little bit to accomodate the new silk tweeters. A dremel and patience are the tools of choice for this. I would try one or both of the SDA CRS as centers without rewiring them.

Hi Steve,

Were your comments directed specifically to the earlier CRS models? As far as the more recent CRS+ models, when I replaced my tweeters they were a simple drop-in with no minor surgery to the recesses in the baffle involved. However, I do remember that the documentation that came with the replacement tweeters cautioned that the screw holes might not line up perfectly. (Fortunately, I didn't have that problem either.)

gyusher:
    By the way, at the risk of stating the obvious, if you are going to use your CRS as centers you shouldn't need go to the expense of replacing the dimensional tweeters since they won't be operating when run in mono.

Larry
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options

gyusher:
    By the way, at the risk of stating the obvious, if you are going to use your CRS as centers you shouldn't need go to the expense of replacing the dimensional tweeters since they won't be operating when run in mono.

Larry

I believe I have decided to use them as I intended when I bought them. Stereo in my office. . . My amp is off for some upgrades and might be a month or so before I get her back. I was thinking about using one or both for center until then. . . I know what will happen. . . I'll be looking for another pair for my office. . .

My original thought was to use one or two Monitor 5s or 7s for center since they can be had right. . . I have just enough room for 2 Monitor 5s under the display. . . Actually I have a space about 26in wide and about 15in high without them sitting on the floor. So I wouldn't have room for 2 CRS jobs there anyway unless I did some reconfiguring. . .
  • Polk65
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Gyusher, Are your SDA CRS like the ones on the left or the right ?

Timbre matching for HT is what you want to achieve at least for the front speakers. If you have some Monitor's laying around, try them out as a center and if it sounds good to you, that's what is important. Here you can get an idea of the various older models but sometimes what you find inside will be different than this list. http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/

Larry, yes I was referring to the earlier SDA CRS model with sl1000 tweeters. Later SDA CRS and SDA CRS+ have the sl2000's.

Steve
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Right. . .It is the early model with 2 tweeters. . .

Polk65 wrote:
    Gyusher, Are your SDA CRS like the ones on the left or the right ?

Timbre matching for HT is what you want to achieve at least for the front speakers. If you have some Monitor's laying around, try them out as a center and if it sounds good to you, that's what is important. Here you can get an idea of the various older models but sometimes what you find inside will be different than this list. http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/service/models/

Larry, yes I was referring to the earlier SDA CRS model with sl1000 tweeters. Later SDA CRS and SDA CRS+ have the sl2000's.

Steve
  • Larry Chanin
    edited March 2006
    Options
    gyusher wrote:
    Right. . .It is the early model with 2 tweeters. . .

Huh? Steve was this a trick question, both pictures have 2 tweeters.:confused: Wasn't there just one early model CRS, and two CRS+ models? The earlier CRS+ had blade-blade interlink and the more recent had pin-blade?

Larry
  • Larry Chanin
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link to the parts lists.
    However, according to the Polk Audio table of parts the CRS model also had SL2000 tweeters.

Larry
  • Polk65
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hi Larry,

Trick or treat. :D

There were at least two versions of the SDA CRS. Mine came with four sl1000's, four mw6503's and blade/blade IC. I plan to try out Peerless tweeters as they drop in without any modifications.

Later SDA CRS came with sl2000's and therefore would have a larger cutout for the tweeters. This was my reason for asking gyusher which type he has, to figure out if the new replacement tweeters will fit without cutting.

Below left is my SDA CRS with sl1000 tweeter. Center is the Peerless showing good screw hole alignment. Below right is a sl2000 tweeter that is too large to fit.

edit: this is all pre SDA CRS+

Steve
  • Larry Chanin
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Polk65 wrote:
    Hi Larry,

Trick or treat. :D

There were at least two versions of the SDA CRS. Mine came with four sl1000's, four mw6503's and blade/blade IC. I plan to try out Peerless tweeters as they drop in without any modifications.

Later SDA CRS came with sl2000's and therefore would have a larger cutout for the tweeters. This was my reason for asking gyusher which type he has, to figure out if the new replacement tweeters will fit without cutting.

Below left is my SDA CRS with sl1000 tweeter. Center is the Peerless showing good screw hole alignment. Below right is a sl2000 tweeter that is too large to fit.

edit: this is all pre SDA CRS+

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the elaboration.

So it looks like gyusher will need to do some cutting to use the replacement tweeters.

Larry
  • gyusher
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the elaboration.

So it looks like gyusher will need to do some cutting to use the replacement tweeters.

Larry

My head hurts. . . . The one on the right. . Not the Silver Coil. . .(Blade/Blade SL1000tweeters)

Which ever the one I will get the right ones when the time comes. . . The tweeters now are supposed to be early (pre-84) Maybe I can post a picture later. . .