Left and Right SDA's?

Options
Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Are there left and right SDA's? What's the difference, and how would you go about turning a right SDA into a Left SDA. I'm talking about the 2b's I think. 1 Tweet and two mids with a PR.
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yes there is a left and right SDA; difference I know is driver placement; the outside drivers are the "SDA" drivers, the inside drivers are the stereo drivers. Different signal goes to each set of drivers from the crossovers. Why do you ask? Do you have two left or two right speakers? As far as I know (which might be not enough...), by swapping internal with external drivers you should be able to do it. Don't know of any cabinet differences that would be an obstacle for this.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yea. I think I just won a pair of two Right channel SDA's...Don't really care because of the good price. But it would be nice to switch the drivers.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Polk-Audio-Silver-Coil-Dome-Right-Channel-Speakers_W0QQitemZ5873167962QQcategoryZ3275QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I'd like to thank brett for bidding on them for me :)
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I am still a bit doubtfull on how can the interconnect cable connections have any impact on this, but from what I remember from rebuilding the crossovers of my SDA's, I cannot recall any difference between left/right crossover layout and how the interconnect wiring goes through them. I am pretty sure you should be good to go, but wait until others more experienced confirm this. I never understand how two right or two left speakers come together. I would also get a copy of the schematics to make sure all the internal wiring to drivers is as original; maybe the previous owner already made the swap.

Oh...BTW, that's a STEAL....even for a same side pair :)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2006
    Options
    all you need to do on a pair of 2B's is swap the the drivers and wires from one side to the other, this would be on the speaker you are using for your left channel.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2006
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    all you need to do on a pair of 2B's is swap the the drivers and wires from one side to the other, this would be on the speaker you are using for your left channel.

Right...I meant drivers with their wires.....:)

SOPA
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote:
    Are there left and right SDA's? What's the difference, and how would you go about turning a right SDA into a Left SDA. I'm talking about the 2b's I think. 1 Tweet and two mids with a PR.
    Interesting question. When I purchased my SDA 1-Cs years ago (1988) from a PX in Germany, they only had one pair in stock; furthermore, the right speaker had been converted from a "left" speaker. I have no idea how they did it, but I didn't care, just had to have a pair of Polks!
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I'm pretty freakin excited :)
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    So you guys are positive that's all I have to do? The crossover's aren't different or anything?
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 111
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The crossover should be the same from one speaker to another. Call Ken in customer service if you want to be sure. Polk used to sell replacement crossovers and none of them were marked as left or right in the old price sheets for the SDA's. Link
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Would I have issues powering these with my dual mono integrated? I'm not sure aht kind of common groud stuff I need or whatever.
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    SOOOOO? Can i run these with my dual mono integrated amp or what? I don't wanna blow anything. I should be picking these up soon. Contacted the guy and he said sure come pick them up :)
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Measure resistance between the two negative posts in the amp's output; if it measures 0 ohms, you are good to go.

SOPA
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote:
    So you guys are positive that's all I have to do? The crossover's aren't different or anything?

yep, crossovers are the same
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    thanks HTrookie...you arent really a rookie lol
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I got my SDA's today. It turns out, there is a left and a right speaker so no need to go driver switching. I do however need an interconnect. It's a pin blade interconnect for SDA 2Bs, that's all i know. Where can I find one of these? Should I just make one?

By the way, the SDAs are in pretty good condition. The cabinet on the left one is about a 7/10 because it does have some scratches on the top, and a few on the side. The right one is an 8/10 because it only has a few scratches. However, the drivers are absolutely perfect. No rust, rust, or any sign of ever being used. The woofers are still very tacky, and a dark black color. They had been left in a storage facility and auctioned off to the guy I bought them from. He didn't know anything about them and was generally happy to be rid of them. I hooked them up and they sound great, even without the interconnect. I'm as happy as a **** in the ball pit :)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Any single wire will do for a pin-blade IC. I use an RCA cable that has the ground collars cut off so that the round pin of the RCA goes into the pin hole. Works great as long as nobody messes with the connection. The blade was only used to stabilize the connection.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited March 2006
    Options
    tape/fasten a prong from a power cable to the rca connector ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    edited March 2006
    Options
    cool, so i just have to bust up an rca cable
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote:
    cool, so i just have to bust up an rca cable

Yes, carefully!;) Or just use a single wire with a crimp on pin connector on each end. You can buy two of these at Radio Shack for less than $1.
    Carl