Sda-1

gfk
gfk Posts: 8
edited September 2002 in Troubleshooting
The passive radiator in one of my SDA's isn't working properly. There seems to be some sound, but it's very weak or it may be as a result of the rest of the speaker, which works fine. I tried swapping the channels left to right and tried changing to a different channel altogether. No change. Anyone have any ideas?
Post edited by gfk on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2002
    Hello,
    Thanks for contributing to the Forum. The passive radiator is being propelled by the active 6.5" drivers, if they're not operating neither will the bass radiator. The SDA 6.5" driver should be part number MW6501 and can be ordered from us at 1-800-377-7655 and please mention you are a Club Polk member to receive the reduced price and the expedited free shipping.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • gfk
    edited August 2002
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder if it could be something else other than a driver because all four are working?? Both tweeters are working as well. Thanks, Gary.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2002
    Hello,
    Well, there a few things to check:
    1). make sure the 6.5" driver are connected in correct polarity to the crossover, "stereo" drivers are going to have white and black connecting wires, the black wire is connected to the driver's positive (sometimes marked with a red dot) and the white wire is connected to the negative terminals. The "SDA" drivers are going to have blue and green wires, the blue is to the positive terminal and the green is to the negative terminals.
    2). inspect the bass radiator for any cuts or slits that would allow compressed air, from inside the enclosure, to flow to the outside.
    3). try exchanging drivers and bass radiators from the other speaker to the suspect one. In other words, in order to find where the problem is, try exchanging the 6.5" drivers and the passive radiator (one-at-a-time) from one speaker enclosure to the other until the problem now appears in the other speaker.
    Regards, Ken
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    Try pushing gently on the cone (shiney, sticky part) of your mid-woofs. If any of them make a scratchy noise it is blown and needs repair/replacement. I've seen blown M/Ws act as shock absorbers against the PRs, only to be realize at higher volumes that something isn't right.

Also check for any vacuum leaks around your drivers, tweeter, PR & crossover. Crank-it-up and feel for air escaping.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gfk
    edited September 2002
    Thankyou all for the info. I first tried pushing gently on the cones, none of them made any scratchy noise. I turned my amp up to high noon and visually looked at the drivers movement. All four are working on the right speaker and only one is working on the left one. I swapped the three, one at a time, all three work in the right speaker and the three from the right I put in the left still don't work! The one that is working is the top outer, which has the blue wire attatched to it. The other three all have black and white wires
    I'm wondering if it's the cross over that is faulty? The cross over with the main speaker wires coming into the speaker has the blue wires, the one above has all three black ones coming out of it. I haven't had a chance to swap them yet. Is it common for the cross over to pack it in? Are they available to purchase?
    Gary.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    If it is the x-over, you will need to send to Polk in San Diego for repair.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2002
    Hello,
    The best thing to do is to remove the crossover (there will be two sections to the crossover, visible once the passive radiator is removed). To do this you would remove the tweeters and drivers and disconnect their connecting wires. One of the crossover sections will be on the other side of the input plate on the rear of the cabinet. The second part is held in place with a hex head bolt coming from the back of the cabinet through to the inside. The nut for the hex head bolt should remain with the crossover and the both should come out of the back, it is helpful if one person holds the crossover section from the passive radiator opening while a second person takes out the hex head bolt. Once removed, examine the connections that go from the crossover to the drivers, it is possible a loose connecting plug might be the cause. If you see no problems with the connections, send the complete crossover to Polk Audio, 5601 Metro Drive, Baltimore, MD. 21215 attention: Ken Swauger. It'll test and repair the crossover, at no charge. Please include your return address inside of the carton.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    I continue to be amazed at the customer service of this company.....18 year old speaker and one of the head honcho's is going to repair it himself FREE.....:cool:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2002
    Just one more reason that I'll be a Polk-man for life!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2002
    You guys are the best, I concur..........Did I spell that right?:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • gfk
    edited September 2002
    Hello Ken: I want to say thank you very much for all your help getting to the root of my problem, and offering to repair my cross over for free. It was totally unexpected and I am very grateful.It will be in the mail in a day or two. I too am a "Polk man for life" as everyone who knows me will agree. In the 17 years or so that I have owned these speakers, I have only ever heard one set of speakers that sounded better than mine. My buddy who bought his SDA-SRS's the same time I bought my SDA-1A's. Imagine that!!
    Gary.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited September 2002
    No problem, Gary, I'll get things working for you as quickly as possible.
    Take care, Ken