Denon 5800 and LSi 5.1 Setup

ssdsco
ssdsco Posts: 5
edited September 2002 in Electronics
Anyone know if the Denon 5800 has enough power to drive 4 LSi9's and the LSi center channel ? They'll be in a small room(12x13) and I rarely turn the volume past -10.

Thanks
Post edited by ssdsco on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Make sure that what ever you use is compatible with a speaker that has a 4 ohm nominal rating. I posted a question over at Home Theater Forum to find out what other Lsi owners are using. Here's a link if you want to take a look.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=975345#post975345

My Pioneer Elite Runs hot with my new Lsi system so I'm trying to find a good seperates combination or receiver that won't smoke under the load or break the bank.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited September 2002
    The 5800 will drive a 4 ohm load no problem and it has more than enough power for a 12/13 room. You'll be fine.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    ssdsco,
    Take a look at the link below.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

As you can see from the Denon 5800 spec's it is not rated for 4 ohm speakers. I would strongly recommend that you contacr Denon and ask what effect a 4 ohm speaker will have on the 5800. Before you take someone elses advice about a piece of equipment that will "work just fine, " you should remember that if you have a problem down the road you are going to have to deal with it yourself.

FYI, none of the Denon receivers listed on their website show any specs/ratings regarding output into 4 ohm nominal impediance.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    I will not say one way or the other....one would think that big high dollar unit could push 4ohm loads with no problem but.....if you look on the back it says for 1 set of fronts (A) they state 6-16ohms and 2 sets (A+B) 8-16ohms.......interesting, very interesting.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    I think that the Denon could handle a 4 ohm load. The LSi is better served by separates though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2002
    Even though it doesn't say 4 ohms on the back of the receiver, the Denon FAQ site says that their receivers will handle 4 ohm spkrs. I think that sensitivity & total power should also be considered. For example, if you have some 4 ohm bookshelf spkrs with 85 dB sensitivity & they are rated 70 watts constant max & 130 watts peak max, you would probably want a different receiver/amp than you'd use for floorstanding 4 ohm speakers with 88 dB sensitivity & the ability to handle 200 watts constant max & 375 watts peak max. I think the term for constant max is RMS, not sure. Anyway, my point is that ohms aren't the only issue. I don't know why the website says that they can handle 4-ohm spkrs when the back of the receiver leads you to believe otherwise, but it may have something to do with getting the UL seal of approval.

p.s. Denon link is
    www.usa.denon.com/support/faqs_ht.asp
    question #9

Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ssdsco
    edited September 2002
    Thanks for all the info.

The Denon FAQ says it will work. More importantly it says the receiver will go in to protection mode if there's a problem. I'm assuming that happens before any damage is done to the receiver.

Heading over to Crutchfield to buy a bunch of LSi's. 6 months no interest, no payments.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2002
    Pick me up a couple while you're at it. But seriously, as far as I know, the protect mode is not something that should come on very often. If it goes into protect mode more often than once in a blue moon, I think your question will have been given a more definite answer, & the answer will be "no". In which case I hope Crutchfield has a 30-day rtn policy. If someone thinks my comments need clarification or correction, please wade in. LSi's & top-of-the-line-Denons ain't cheap. Hope it all works out.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    If your talking about the $4300 Denon 5803 - just go with serperates. ;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    Allright,
    Yes the Avr5800 or avr5803 has enough current to push them in your size room.Would I buy the Avr5803??Noway!!

Here's my reasons.....
    For that kind of money ,you can get into some really nice seperates.There's alot out there.For alittle more cash, you can have 10X better sound quality.

With that being said you do loose some inputs,flash,etc.Receiver from Japan are stacked with features, but lack in sound quality at that level.I feel flagship receivers are closer today in soundquality to seperates then ever before,but not close enough for me to go back to a receiver.
    To be completely honest, there are only 2 receiver's for Home theater I would consider buying.........
    1)Rotel Rsx1065
    2)B&K avr507 or the older avr307.
    These receivers aren't really receiver.....yes they share the same chasis, but the level of sound quality you get from them is so close to there seperates it's scary.Both companies use there preamp and amps inside that single chasis.
    B&K ref30 is inside the B&K avr307.
    Rotel rsp1066 is modified to work inside the rsx1065.
    The amp section of the B&K avr307 is a st amp.
    The Rotel uses the same power supply and caps in there stand alone amps at that rating.

For me I just can't see spending all that money for so little sound quality.
    Sound quality is #1 in my book,without good soundquality the features are less attractive.IMO
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ssdsco
    edited September 2002
    Just to clarify. I bought the Denon 5800 18 months ago for $2250+tax. I just ordered 4 LSi9's + LSi CC. I already have the Velodyne 1200 sub. I may have to go with a separate amp if I run into problems driving the LSi's.

Thanks
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    ssdsco,
    I think you'll be fine with driving them.But down the road you can do alot better for sound quality.

The Denon avr5800 is a nice recfeiver,and the upgrade is out ,i think about 8 bills to do so.But I just feel the Lsi series speakers perform so much better with seperates.

Congrads on your new speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    2250..... the only separates alternative in that price range that I can think of is Outlaw OR using a lesser receiver with preouts and adding outboard amps.

Since the 5800 really only puts out less than 85wpc that may be the way to go.;)
    Do you really believe that the Denon AVR-5800 has a 170watts-7? Well it doesn't it does 82watts all channels driven. Bench-tested ourselves. How's that for your specs

BDT
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    The sheeeaaaat is getting deep in this ****!
    The only recievers I would buy---Dam, I have seen so of your rigs. :lol:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Specs, we all know they are what they are...

SPECULATIONS...

heh ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    yeah but them's is BENCH-tested numbers......

My opinion, if a dude has the coinage to drop 3 or 4 G's on a reciever what is another couple G's for separates? I'm just saying, at that point, if something is ALMOST as good as separates, eff it, just get separates.

BDT