2.3TL Acquired!! Need Receiver advice.

Options
riglehart
riglehart Posts: 276
edited March 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I just acquires some 2.3TLs. Now I need a better receiver than my old Yamaha rx-v850 to drive 'em. I can't afford seperates right now, but will get something with Preouts for future expansion. I will be watching movies and listening to Music on this system. About $1000 is my limit.

Here's what I have it narrowed down to.

Harmon Kardon AVR 7300.
or
NAD T763

I am partial to NAD but can't find a dealer around Iowa City that actually stocks them. So started poking around and ran across the HK. I'm not big on bells and whistles. I mostly want solid performance.

Anyone out there with experience with both NAD and HK?
Jolida Tube
Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
Standard equip not worth bragging about.
Post edited by riglehart on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    You can do better than a receiver for under a grand if you don't mind used gear.

Just a quick peruse of audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1147038075

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1146550680

These two bring you in at 1100....you can do better on price but I'm just trying to illustrate a point.
    BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I don't want to mess with used stuff unless I can demo it first.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    It really does depend on your movie/music usage. The NAD or HK you indicate will be adequate for both uses, but the SDAs do really have the ability to produce great 2 channel music with a proper amp/preamp rig. Troy's suggestions are based on what many others (me too) have realized after experiencing how SDA seems to ask for better 2 channel gear.

I used the HK 7200 with my SDAs for a couple months until I got a tube preamp and my Odyssey Stratos and frankly the sound quality was so great that the HK is now used strictly for processing the surround channels. The HK was a true upgrade over my JVC just as the NAD or HK would be over your Yamaha, but knowing what I do now, I would have actually gone with a lesser used 5.1 receiver since I ended up seeking a more refined 2 channel sound since my speakers seemed to beg for it.

Just my experience....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2006
    Options
    If that's the case, I'm not going to say that you are wasting your time (as it's your gear not mine) but I will say that you won't be hearing what they are really capable of.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options
    A grand will go one heck of a lot further power and value wise in the used amp category as opposed to the new rcvr category. There are a lot of good sellers out there too. If you're really not comfortable with it I understand but it's a shame because it narrows down your options. (Some very good options at that.)
  • riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    OK. I have never even considered seperates. And, I have never even heard anything with tubes. However, I hear people rave about both. The problem with seperates is that you have to basically drop dime and jump in with both feet all at once. You can't really do it incrementally, because a preamp does you no good without amps. And amps do no good without preamps.

I can go into a high end audio store and listen to systems, but it's always apples vs oranges because of the infinite combinations and conditions. So, you never REALLY know what the differences are between equipment.

I have a crappy sony 5.1 receiver/speaker package I got at the megastore for movies right now. It has no preouts (not that I'd use them). I also have a yamaha rx-v850 which is decent (85wpc), but is from before they had 5.1 or digital inputs (it does have Dolby and center channel). However, it does have 2 preouts on it that might fascilitate a 2 channel system setup. I also have some polk 4s and 11Ts. Is there a good way I'm not aware of to maybe spend $1000 and make a good full featured system out of this stuff.

That being said. If I gave you a $1000 budget to buy me something to watch movies with and jam with Steve Perry, Satriani, or Bach what would you suggest?

Should I get a couple high quality amps to drive the 2.3s and use my yamaha as a source until I can do better?
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2006
    Options
    you asked. If I had your $1000, I would by a pre amp with HT pass through and a good 200WPC (at least) amp. The HT pass through will let you pass the signal from the two pre outs in the receiver through the preamp and amp for movies, and only use the preamp for 2 channel. I would buy used. I also was not comfortable with buying used before, but I've learned that here or Audiogon you can get very good used gear. Just watch the seller's feedback. With a grand you'll be able to get a VERY good combo.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Sorry, didn't realize you couldn't use your current HT rcvr as a preamp.

Under the guide lines you've established, and a $1000 budget for HT and 2ch? Sounds like recvr territory to me. Not my place to offer advice on one. Haven't owned one in twenty-five years and not being my cup of tea I read very little about them. Others will have good possibilities for you though. Good luck with the setup.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited March 2006
    Options
    +1 on what HTRookie said. I started with an inexpensive Marantz HT receiver (110 wpc) to power my system. I have 2.3's as my fronts and SDA-2's in the rear, and a CSi40 for the center (SVS sub also). This setup powered the system pretty well. I saved up some cash and bought a Parasound Halo A 21 (250 wpc) used. I use the front preouts on the receiver into the Halo for HT and two channel listening. Wow! This was a major sound improvement! For two channel listening the SDA effect is terrific! SDA's really shine with high power. More detail, large soundstage.

Check out accessories4less.com. They have some nice B-stock equipment with manufacturer's full warranty for cheap.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!
    Carl

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    It's not that the SDAs will sound bad with the receiver, there's just a lot you'll be missing out on.

If you have a decent receiver with pre-outs, I'd just buy a separate amp and run them through that amp and your current receiver - and add a preamp further down the road. Your money spent on a good 2 channel amp is going to go further than that same amount spent on a receiver...even a NAD.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Should I get a couple high quality amps to drive the 2.3s and use my yamaha as a source until I can do better?
    Didn't see that before...

Yes, that would be the route to go. If you buy a receiver now with that money, you're maybe 75% there in terms of sound quality, but you'll still have to buy another preamp and amp to get all the way there. If you buy a good amp now and use your current receiver as a source, then you're still 75% there, but you'll only need to buy a good preamp to close the gap, as you already have the good amp...hope that makes sense...
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I have a set up under a $1000 that would fit your bill - not sure it meets with everyone's approval but it works:

HK AVR 20II (older ProLogic or 5.1 reciever but has preout for everything) = used about $150 (i bought it new six or 8 years ago for $275 I think)
    Audire Model 1 Amp = used about $165 w/shipping - it was a good deal but you can get a similar SS amp about 100-125WPC for $200-300 all day if you are patient.

There you go. $440. I am still looking for a tube preamp but the HK covers me fine for now. It's not 5.1 or 6.1 or whatever else is out there but it's still a fine sounding rig that I can upgrade a piece at a time.

JMO

Ed
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Ok. So you guys have me thinking I should stick with my current yamaha for now and spend my money on amplification from the 2 channel preouts.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Completely agree with used equipment approach. I have bought used gear for 30 years (want ads, demo units, buy backs after upgrades at stereo stores, ebay, and now mostly yard sales) and have rarely not come out FAR ahead of the deal. For the most part people take care of their equipment (although a few pieces of mine did get a little "over used" during college). Do some research on what you want and then go looking. S--t, if I had the internet two decades ago to search for stuff, my system then would have been killer!

I won't put in specific ideas for equipment 'cause other guys in this forum are much more knowledgeble than I.
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    riglehart wrote:
    Ok. So you guys have me thinking I should stick with my current yamaha for now and spend my money on amplification from the 2 channel preouts.

Yes sir! I think your wallet and ears would be best served with that plan. there's a lot of decent used and B-stock stuff out there. Do some research, check out the 2 channel amps you can buy for a few hundred dollars, look at their specs, ask Forum members and others what they think.

The search tool on this Forum is a good tool. Play with it, there is a wealth of opinion in these threads.

Welcome to the Forum!

Carl
    Carl

• riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    How about an NAD 2200? These were great amps. There's a guy in the flea market with one.

Is there any problem with buying equipment that old (20 yrs)? I don't want something that is on the verge of crapping out.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    That NAD is a nice amp. George Grand is an old timer here and a good reputation.

TroyD also had a nice Onkyo for sale a couple of weeks ago. That amp has a little more power and is also a very good unit. I don't know if it's still available, checkout the link: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37843

Carl
    Carl

• riglehart
    edited March 2006
    Options
    OK. So I bought the NAD 2200 from George. My budget was $1000. Here's my next question. With those 2.3TL I don't plan on any parties or ridiculously loud volume levels. Just quality one on one listening. At that price (around $200) I can get another one on ebay and run dual bridged NAD 2200s.

Is that going to buy me anything other than a lot more volume? Or will even the lower volumes sound a lot crisper?
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
  • schwarcw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Rigelhart,

You will need an A1-1 interconnect cable in order to run two amps bridged. Did you get one with the speakers? This is not the ordinary interconnect cable, it has a "black box" about 2 1/2" cube sized in the middle of the cable. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but you need it to use non common ground (bridged) amps with the SDA's.

Two amps will get you a little more volume. It should get you more detail in the music at low volume levels. Try the one NAD first, see how you like it. If you have the A1-1 cable you can always get another amp.

Carl
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited March 2006
    Options
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the buy from GG, his "Magic Closet" has provided alot of great sound here on CP.

I would "wait and hear" the 2200 alone. You may really find the NAD to be all you need and the $$$ could be put into a tube preamp or other areas of your HT to make more impact than a second amp. Personally, I have always had the belief that if I needed to bridge an amp to get more power, I needed a bigger amp. This is due to bridged amps not beng stable into low impedance loads after bridging.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the NAD2200. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I think I would personally spend some money on a nice 2-channel preamp before buying another amp, though that would also be a good move. Instead of briding the two 2200's, I would just bi-amp the SDA's. Meaning, I would power the highs on both speakers with one amp, and then the lows on both speakers with one amp. That way, neither are bridged and so they will be able to put out more current.

However, I also like Dennis Gardner's idea. If you need to bridge or add a second amp, I'd probably rather look into getting a stouter amp. Then you can start working on a second rig centered around your 2200! :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520