RT3000p Subwoofers

Options
lycombs
lycombs Posts: 15
edited October 2001 in Technical/Setup
Question for you:

I just bought a pair of RT3000ps and one of the green lights on the front of one of the subs ONLY lights up when it gets a signal. The other side stays lit as long as it is plugged in (which it is suppose to do).

While my personal opinion is that the design SHOULD be that the green light is only one when it receives a signal (not alll the time), obviously there is something wrong with the sub where the light only comes on when a signal is detected.

I am concerned about longer-term problems and plan to send that particular sub back unless someone suggests otherwise.

Please advise and thanks.
Post edited by lycombs on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Man, here is the light issue again, a never-ending story.
    What does your manual instruction say about the light function for this particular sub?
    You may try the followings:
    1. Unplug the affected subwoofer for 15 min, and then plug it back to see if this function is reset, and the problem may go away, if not, contact Polk’s customer service for advice.
    2. After your turn off your main receiver or amplifier, wait for 45 min, then use your hand to check wherever the amp section of the sub is, if it’s still warm or hot, the amp did not turn itself off automatically, you need to exchange the sub or send it in for service, if the amp section is cool, the sub turn itself off, the light is malfunction, but it does not affect the performance of the sub, call Polk’s CS for advice.
    I know the feeling... man, base on the size and the weight of this sub, you feel uncomfortable to send it in for service or exchange; exchange is still your best option if it’s available. If this is a mail order deal, I hope you ordered them from Crutchfield.
  • lycombs
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I purchased it through Uncle Sam's and they did a good job double boxing things, however, just the risk of sending it back bothers me. Just because it got here the first time in one piece doesn't ensure it will happen again.

I've tried all that turn off/turn on crap,...nothing resets and I can't really feel much difference in 45 minutes so it's going back.

Thanks!
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by lycombs

I've tried all that turn off/turn on crap,...nothing resets and I can't really feel much difference in 45 minutes so it's going back.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't mean to repeat this, I just want to make sure...you said turn on/ off, but did you actually unplug the sub from the AC?
    Sometime, turn on or turn off the sub does not work...
  • lycombs
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Yeah,...I did unplug it for well over 15 min.,..to no avail.

If it were just a malfunctioning light,...I would still have to send it back or exchange it to get it fixed, right? No simple "send me something and I do it myself" fix probably. Just curious.

You said something about the "on-going light problem",...has there been a problem with the switch suppliers?
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I was referring to someone's old posts; they discussed the light issue on Polk’s power speakers. Polk made some power speakers, the light stay lit all the time whether signal is detected or not detected (CS1000p), and some others, the light turns off when it detects no signal (PSW1200). That why I ask the question about the light function in your sub’s manual.

I have the same problem with one of my Polk speaker before, and the folks in the CS dept did help me out, without sending the sub back for repair. Call Ken @ Polk, he may be able to help you out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hello,
    Perhaps I can offer some useful information. I believe you have two different versions of the bass amplifier. The version three amplifier has the LED functioning as an AC pilot light. It remains on as long as the AC power cord is plugged in. The other speaker's amplifier is an earlier version where the LED functions as an indicator of the auto on/off status. While the overall operation of the two amplifiers is the same the LEDs will be different in their function. If you contact me at kswauger@polkaudio.com or 1-800-377-7655 I can help get the version two exchanged for the version three.
    Regards, Ken
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2001
    Options
    just to add to the continued insanity> my 1000i's ...the green light was on 24/7: I just traded them in for the 2000i's. they come on/off with the amp- wich i like better myself. Kinda freaky getting some whater in the night and haveing 2 beedy (green) eyes staring at ya :):D
  • lycombs
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Ken,...thanks for the update and clarification.

Actually,....if there is TRULY no performance or construction advantage from one sub to the other (i.e. crossover, design, drivers, amp specs, etc,...), then I'd actually rather have 2 version "2" subs, where the light turns itself off per the signal input.

Is that possible?