Heavy base for TT worth it?

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,211
edited March 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm just getting into vinyl. I don't have a high end TT yet and probably will never have anything beyond a few hundred dollar table (used market). I would like to make what I have sound the best it can though.

Just wondering what you guys think about using a heavy stone (like granite) slab under your turntables. Do you think it helps improve the sound (beyond reducing any problems with skipping/tracking) or is it mostly asthetic? My stand is pretty stable and it doesn't seem to be affected by walking around it or from bass notes, at least not to the point of skipping.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited March 2006
    Options
    check out skylanstands.com its a one man show by a person named Noel. I use one of his platforms for my Transport and it actually helped, I'd imagine the differences with a TT would be quite a few steps up.
  • billbillw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    LuSh wrote:
    check out skylanstands.com its a one man show by a person named Noel. I use one of his platforms for my Transport and it actually helped, I'd imagine the differences with a TT would be quite a few steps up.

I'm just looking to get a piece from one of the local marble/granite contractors. Low budget definetly.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yes, they're worth it, if all you are on now is a wood shelf. Wood is too "live" and transmits vibration to the TT base which can then find their way into the platter and/ or tonearm.

Somewhere I have a link to a laboratory supply house that sells nicely finished slabs cheap. They're intended for use under lab balances, but work great for TT's.

I'll dig it up and post it...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Tour, In your opinion would say, the created marble countertop materials (Silestone or equal), be a functional equivalent to real marble, etc.?
    The Silestone can be had in multiple colors and effects and seems pretty heavy/dense.

Check the link:

http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/colors.cfm?SS=home
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Not sure about Silestone, but would think it would be an equal choice. I know that Corean is a good alternative. I have a Corean arm board.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I went down to my local stone guy and he gave me a nice piece of granite, Of course I asked him reel nicely for it.

I isloated it from the glass rack shelf with some cool little pads I got from Dave. Definetely more stable.

RT1
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Here's the link I mentioned above. Not a Lab supply place, but rather a tool supply site...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=640-0422&PMPXNO=950389&PARTPG=INLMK3
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Good link. I bookmarked that one. Thanks Tour.
  • billbillw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Here's the link I mentioned above. Not a Lab supply place, but rather a tool supply site...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=640-0422&PMPXNO=950389&PARTPG=INLMK3

Thanks Tour. That's certainly an option. That 12x18 is probably too small, but I found an 18x24 slab that would probably be perfect, except for the fact that the sucker weighs 182lbs and ships by freight!!!! That may be overkill. It looks like its 3" thick. I'd be happy with 1" thick
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Overkill is good when it comes to these types of things.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Enco is a pretty good company...

I have purchased quite a few tools like this from them
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ^^Anything even the small one falls on, it will kill...

billbill,
    That 12x18 will work with most TT's as their base's feet are not more than 12" apart. At least on the depth dimension. Width is ususally more, owing to the tonearm, but not more than 18".
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• billbillw
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    ^^Anything even the small one falls on, it will kill...

billbill,
    That 12x18 will work with most TT's as their base's feet are not more than 12" apart. At least on the depth dimension. Width is ususally more, owing to the tonearm, but not more than 18".

I checked mine, the feet would hang over the edges of a 12" pad. Maybe my Technics is on the large side. I'll probably have to take the route that Reeltrouble took. Go and visit a few stone workers and see what they have laying around. Ideally, I would want one that is 1.0-1.5" thick and 20"x16", give or take a couple inches.