Sub Box Porting

Options
peetie87
peetie87 Posts: 6
edited March 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi. I recently purchased a dual sub box (http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/5e/c9/44_1_b.JPG) for my GNX-104 subs and i want to make the box ported. Where should i put my ports on the box? I am going to have the box positioned so the angeled side is facing up (subs pointing up). Does is matter where the ports go? Polk reccomends a 3"wide x 8"long port for a 1.25 cuft box and the box i purchased is two 1.25 cuft chambers. I was planning on purchasing 2 of these port tubes and cutting then 8"long (http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Wide-Nickel-Port-Tube-12-Long-Cut-to-Size_W0QQitemZ5859074686QQcategoryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). Are these ports a good choice? Does it matter what material the ports are made of (ie plastic vs. metal)? Please let me know -Alex
Post edited by peetie87 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Options
    there is a small problem here - when you actually put the ports in, then put the subs in, the actual volume is rather less than 1.25 ft^3, which will affect the tuning... what i'd do is put the ports in at full length as a trial, then trim them back bit by bit till you like the sound (where a 'bit' is 1/2 inch at most)... this is annoying, but if you cut them too short, you're screwed until you get new ports...

and no, the material doesn't matter
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • peetie87
    peetie87 Posts: 6
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ok thanks. What about location on the box? Does this matter?
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2006
    Options
    peetie87 wrote:
    yes.

(I'm channeling Cody here with my one-word answer :) )
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2006
    Options
    peetie87 wrote:
    it can, yep... this will add a whole new order of magnitude to how annoying the initial set-up will be... because every time you take some of the vent off, you'll need to try the box (with its new and hopefully improved tuning) in each position in the trunk that you'd consider... so if you have three positions in the trunk (say, left, rear, and right), every time you trim the port, you need to listen to the box in each of those three positions...

this is the most thorough way to do it, but also the most time consuming...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs