AR-78LS Speaks

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited March 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I don't have a reason to hoard these anymore. I was toying with the idea of putting them in Tiff's room and retiring her KLH 6's, but that's that.

Definitely living room presentable cabinets and grilles. The famous flattened AR 12" woof, 1 1/2" dome mid and 3/4" dome tweet. I just had the woofs re-foamed. The tweet and mid are one unit (just like in the AR-9LS) and both independantly liquid cooled. -3db points at 39 and 32,000 cycles. 4 ohms average impedance (just like the 3a) with an absolute minimum of 3.6 ohms. Sensitivity is 91 3/4db, greatly improved over the 3a. Here is the last 2 paragraphs from the April 1984 High Fidelity magazine review....

"The AR-78LS's impedance is low enough to make a parallel connection of two pair unwise, but high enough to make the load of a single pair safe for any competently designed amp. Power handling too is excellent. AR rates the speaker for amps to 200 watts, but in the 300-Hz pulse test the lab fed it more--all the test amplifier could deliver--with no sign of strain. In the process, it got out a whopping peak sound pressure level (SPL) of 119db. Distortion at 100db SPL (the labs highest test level) averages about 1% from 63Hz up, which is better than par. At lower test levels, the distortion also is lower, averaging about 1/4% at the moderate test level of 85db SPL.

Nobody needs proof that the fundamentals of the old AR speakers were sound: Their popularity and longevity established that beyond question. Nor do we need any proof that modern computer-assisted design nets results, for any given speaker type, that are dramatically superior to those of the old-fashioned cut-and-try school. Using contemporary techniques, Acoustic Research has taken a classic configuration, retained all that was best about its past incarnations, and made it radically better at the same time."

$300 local pick-up only. I will NOT ship these, they are 52lbs per speaker.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments