WTB: tweeters for RT800i

Options
krabby5
krabby5 Posts: 923
edited February 2006 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Since I just bought a used pair of the RT800i's off the Bay, I'm wondering if there is somewhere I could get some Tri-lam tweeters in the event mine go out?

What can I say? I'm a pessimist :rolleyes:
Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
Post edited by krabby5 on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I've got one, brand new in the box, that I might be willing to sell. I was going to keep it as a spare for myself, but I've never been guilty of killing tweeters...
    I'd ask whatever $$ Polk gets for the replacement, + shipping. I've only got one.

Jason
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2006
    Options
    since there are still alot of speakers out there that use the tri lam tweeter.. what is the current Polk replacement for it? Anyone have any experience with how it sounds compared to the tri lam?

sorry to steer your post slightly off track.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Options
    The only thing I could tell you is to watch for them on ebay. Polk does not have them or make them. the reason for this is they do not make the material for them any more.

Do your best not to blow them.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    since there are still alot of speakers out there that use the tri lam tweeter.. what is the current Polk replacement for it? Anyone have any experience with how it sounds compared to the tri lam?

sorry to steer your post slightly off track.
    I do. I had a fried tweeter in my RT55is (no clipping or overdriving - just went bad) The original tri-lam is no longer made (part #BD0125-W if you can find one). The replacement is a silk dome (#RD6514-3) and I found there to be very little difference in SQ. In fact, I had a tri-lam in one speaker and the silk in the other and you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference. I eventually replaced the tri-lam with the new silk to keep them the same and now I have a tri-lam relplacement for my other speakers that use that tweeter.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson