Outlaw Receiver

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
edited February 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Well. the for those lucky enough to have had the forsight to purchase the new Outlaw Receiver, it is bodly gracing the front cover of March's Stereophile Mag in all its Glossy Glory. The reveiw is well written and in a nutshell this 500 buck wonder was hooked to a 80,000 dollar front end and 45,000 speakers on the other, it pretty much performed magnificently including the phono section.

Looks like the writer might of been visiting the Polk Forum boards. The "as we see it" article has some interesting writing on the differences folks hear with audio gear.

RT1
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I have seriously considered "simplifying" and going with this receiver vs my NAD separates. I may still happen. If they had bumped this up to 150wpc or so....it would have already happened.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I say good for outlaw. I really wish this product came out before my father passed. this was the type of thig he was looking for. he was old school 2 chaannel reciever only. He couldnt find anything to replace his Onkyo Integra TX85 with the advent of surround sound recievers. drove him nuts. I have a feeling he would have loved this thing.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Niche marketing is good if the product stands up. This receiver and the Onix SP3 tube amp may do more for 2 channel within the span of a couple years than anything we could have imagined.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yea, I would say so Dennis, the mag pays homage to the Glory Days of 2-Channel, back when names like Kenwood, Pioneer, and Onkyo ruled the rooste. Seems their is enough of a ground swell and buzz from the HT crowd to make use of this Receiver, it has a sort of pass-through so it can be hooked into a multi-channel set-up, smart! Now if it only had tubes!!!!!!!!! The phono-pre was dead silent and it has a seperate volume control for headphones, more than just an afterthought.

RT1
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,090
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Somehow I thought it was the concensous that "stereophile" and reviewers in general are evil. There have been lot's of products discussed that get the "stereophile" endorsement that get slammed merely because "stereophile" is getting paid (common arguement) to skew their reviews. Now we seem to have a product that for the most part is heavily endorsed here on the forum and it's great that "sterophile" has given it it's endorsement. It's this kind of flim flaming that really irks me.

I don't have a bone to pick with anyone or any product in particular, just thinking out loud here. You have to admit it's pretty funny how when a product we like is reviewed and given good marks we generally praise the unit and the review. If it's a prouct we don't like then we pan the product and the reviewer and accuse them of being paid off to say good things.

Ok I'm done....thanks for reading my rant :D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Why on Earth would Stereophile think it would be realistic to hook up a $500 unit to an $80,000 front end and $45,000 speakers? Absolutely ludicris if you ask me. Anyone who buys the Outlaw isn't going to pair it with anything even close. It's completely absurd. This shows how out of touch publications like Stereophile are. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OK...now I'm really done ranting :D:p .

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Why on Earth would Stereophile think it would be realistic to hook up a $500 unit to an $80,000 front end and $45,000 speakers? Absolutely ludicris if you ask me. Anyone who buys the Outlaw isn't going to pair it with anything even close. It's completely absurd. This shows how out of touch publications like Stereophile are. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OK...now I'm really done ranting :D:p .

H9
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Somehow I thought it was the concensous that "stereophile" and reviewers in general are evil.

Now we seem to have a product that for the most part is heavily endorsed here on the forum and it's great that "sterophile" has given it it's endorsement. It's this kind of flim flaming that really irks me.

You have NEVER seen me blast a review in any magazine or professional review web site. I take them for what they are. A professional writer (usually) writing about something they know something about. Like anyone else, they have biases, preferences, guidelines, etc. As long as they provide the basic info (specs, etc) the rest should be their opinion with some originality. I enjoy reading most of what is out there when it comes to audio equipment. It is entertainment...no more...no less.

As for this particular product...I posted favorably about it long before there were ANY reveiws. I like Outlaw and I like their gear.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    Why on Earth would Stereophile think it would be realistic to hook up a $500 unit to an $80,000 front end and $45,000 speakers? Absolutely ludicris if you ask me. Anyone who buys the Outlaw isn't going to pair it with anything even close. It's completely absurd. This shows how out of touch publications like Stereophile are.

Seems like this is a great process for determining the quality of the component. If it sucks, those $45K speakers will let you know immediately.
    Russman did the same thing with the Rotel CD player he wrote about a few weeks ago. Seems like a very reasonable thing to do.

IMO, this process also demonstrates the folly of spending a ridiculous wad of cash on audio components if a $500 receiver can hold its own with them. I'll say it again -- in the hi-fi world, price doesn't mean a damn thing.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Seems like this is a great process for determining the quality of the component. If it sucks, those $45K speakers will let you know immediately.
    Russman did the same thing with the Rotel CD player he wrote about a few weeks ago. Seems like a very reasonable thing to do.

IMO, this process also demonstrates the folly of spending a ridiculous wad of cash on audio components if a $500 receiver can hold its own with them. I'll say it again -- in the hi-fi world, price doesn't mean a damn thing.

Quality that the avg. buyer of a $500 rec will never realize. Price doesn't mean a damn thing....but it's not absolute. The $125,000 of components Russ used with the Rotel seem to escape me right now. I'm not in anyway saying the Outlaw is not a good product, just the way it was used seems ludicris, IMO

H9
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Forgive the self promotion, but my e-zine Affordable$$Audio reviewed the Outlaw in our January issue. So, if you want to know how it sounds with typical speakers visit the site and download the January issue.
    www.affordableaudio.org
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2006
    Options
    markmarc wrote:
    Forgive the self promotion, but my e-zine Affordable$$Audio reviewed the Outlaw in our January issue. So, if you want to know how it sounds with typical speakers visit the site and download the January issue.
    www.affordableaudio.org

Mark,

Thanks for tooting your own horn. ;) I thoroughly enjoyed your January review issue. I did not even know your site existed until just now.

Thanks again!
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • heiney9
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Holydoc wrote:
    Mark,

Thanks for tooting your own horn. ;) I thoroughly enjoyed your January review issue. I did not even know your site existed until just now.

Thanks again!

Spread it around Mark. It's a free service so it's not like you are soliciting for subscriptions. FWIW, that review is a bit more practical than the Stereophile review, IMO of course.

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,374
    edited February 2006
    Options
    For what it's worth, the Stereophile reviewer used the receiver with Wilson Audio speakers partly to test Wilson's statements that the speaker is the most important component in the sound chain. The reviewer then went on to use the receiver with a modest setup in his living room and continued to be impressed by it.

The receiver must be selling well, as it's currently backordered.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Exactly Emlyn. I dont know if H9 read the article because you never said H9.
    I dont bash Sterophile, yes, sometimes they are a bit pretentious, however, by putting this piece on the front cover of their mag, they are indicating they hear some of their readers, who want some attention paid to more common gear. Besides I read about high end and acutally have been able to acquire some used pieces because I read about them. No not a 90,000 Consortium but still fun to read about. I want this mag to review the extreme high end stuff, I can read alot about regular gear in the other ones I get.

The article also includes some findings with average gear and the Outlaw, a portable source cd player if I remember correctly but the CRS is bad today. The reveiwer did say the test was a bit unusual but addressed this issue.

Now about that source/speaker issue, well, we never agree, who cares, its a part of audio that I find very interesting to talk about.

RT1
  • kingsqueak
    kingsqueak Posts: 116
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I dunno, I was reading a review on a $9k CD player by one of the audiophile rags. The guy opened the review saying there was a harshness he couldn't figure out, then proceeds to suspend the player in some sort of audiophile basket and said it transformed the sound. How much amyl nitrate was that guy huffing?

It's exactly that sort of crap that caused me to drop my subscription to Stereo Review back in the 80's.

I put more stock in the reviews I weed through on forums like this one than on those industry rags.
    Harman Kardon AVR-435 Receiver
    Polk RTi6 (L/R) CSi3 (Center) RM3000 (SL/SR)
    SVS 25-31 PCi (Sub)