SDA 1C -ever load with sand or shot?

Options
dbnh
dbnh Posts: 194
edited February 2006 in Vintage Speakers
There's some room on the bottom compartment of the SDA 1Cs below the passive radiator. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to load this with sand or shot, and if so, what were your results?

In advance, thanks for your response.
Post edited by dbnh on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I have a pair of sda 1b's and I would never put sand or shot in them. Their are speakers that are made for it, and these are not one of them. By adding anything to the inside of the enclosure you are going to change the air volume inside the cabinet and ruin your bass response. don't do it
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,823
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I agree with the Dude.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2006
    Options
    my dad used to do it on some speaks he made in the 60`s and 70`s..

I would listen to the dude and the nut on this one though...!!

:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2006
    Options
    dbnh wrote:
    There's some room on the bottom compartment of the SDA 1Cs below the passive radiator. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to load this with sand or shot, and if so, what were your results?

In advance, thanks for your response.

Nope,the only thing I put in that area was my hand,when I rebuilt the x-overs :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Agree, but have to ask, "What are you trying to accomplish?"
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I tossed a 25# bag of shot in each of my SDA1C's....no real reason other than to play around. It certainly coupled them to the floor better, but I didn't notice any huge improvement in particular.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Agree, but have to ask, "What are you trying to accomplish?"
    At the moment I'm trying to solicit input from persons who actually have tried this, and apply cognition to those informed responses. Guess it's one of those days when one asks, "What would happen if this were to occur?" In this instance I'd rather first hear from those who actually forayed into this area, instead of being the first to make the leap into uncharted waters.

Or maybe it's the thought of the impending Nor'easter that subconsiously had me thinking of sand... :eek:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I would certainly be willing to try it but have not.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2006
    Options
    You might try a bass brace like is used on the largest SDAs, if you have speakers along a wall. Effective if used properly to anchor your speakers and tame the bass.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2006
    Options
    you will be changing the internal volume of the speaker cabinet, usually not a good idea, maybe you will hear a differecne, maybe you won't, who knows, **** try it and let us know.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,066
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A bag of sand cost like... 1.50 -- what do you have to lose?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    you will be changing the internal volume of the speaker cabinet, usually not a good idea, maybe you will hear a differecne, maybe you won't, who knows, **** try it and let us know.

You want to know how much a bag of shot changes the internal volume? 0.037....I would consider that amount, negligible.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2006
    Options
    he did not say a bag of shot, he said, well the way I read it, he would fill the cabinet up to where the PR is, still a small percentage of the cabinet, but more than 0.037,

Mr. Saturday Night Drunk in the making :cool:
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    dbnh wrote:
    At the moment I'm trying to solicit input from persons who actually have tried this, and apply cognition to those informed responses. Guess it's one of those days when one asks, "What would happen if this were to occur?" In this instance I'd rather first hear from those who actually forayed into this area, instead of being the first to make the leap into uncharted waters.

Or maybe it's the thought of the impending Nor'easter that subconsiously had me thinking of sand... :eek:
    Nothing to add... just liked the dry wit of the post...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote:
    he did not say a bag of shot, he said, well the way I read it, he would fill the cabinet up to where the PR is, still a small percentage of the cabinet, but more than 0.037,

Mr. Saturday Night Drunk in the making :cool:

I know he didn't Captain Obvious, I was commenting specifically on a bag of lead shot. I don't recall the word "sand" in my post. If he wants to put a 50# bag of play sand in his speaker, who cares, but it's alot easier with lead shot, and the volume that it displaces is again much less.

I encourage everyone to completely fill their speakers up with sand, that would be awesome. The bass response improvement is phenomenal.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ... but if you do, please label them.

Unknowing people who like to adjust OPS (Other People's Speakers) could herniate themselves...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I encourage everyone to completely fill their speakers up with sand, that would be awesome. The bass response improvement is phenomenal.
    First hand experience?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I have a pair of sda 1b's and I would never put sand or shot in them. Their are speakers that are made for it, and these are not one of them. By adding anything to the inside of the enclosure you are going to change the air volume inside the cabinet and ruin your bass response. don't do it

Plus 2.
    If you want to shot load them, place a 25lb bag of birdshot on top of them instead.

To add: When you find out the result isn't what you though it would be, send the shot to me. :p
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    But won't that deflect the top panel and reduce the cabinet volume as well? ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    shack wrote:
    First hand experience?

I fill all mine with cement now, sand was lame, I'm hardcore.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I fill all mine with cement now, sand was lame, I'm hardcore.

I wondered why all those international ebayers stayed away from your auctions. :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I think dorokusai is Japanese for "Redi-Mix".
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Now, I know the real reason Doro does not want to ship his speaks!!!!

RT1