Options
2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Yikes!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • scottyf
    scottyf Posts: 129
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Even the designers of Conrad Johnson equipment acknowledge differences in the sound of capacitors.
    From the Stereophile reveiw of the CJ Act 2 preamplifier:
    "Polypropylene caps have about [1%] the dielectric absorption of cheap capacitors. Polystyrene caps are two or three times better than that—and the Teflon parts we use in the ACT2 are fractionally better than polystyrene, although at a substantial increase in cost. The same is true with resistors—the off-the-shelf models used in mass-manufactured products cost fractions of a cent, whereas the Vishay resistors we use cost several dollars each. We use 24 in the volume control alone, and another 40 throughout the circuits. That adds up. But they're worth the price, because we haven't found anything that lets more of the signal pass through unaffected. And that translates into greater detail and more transparent sound."
    I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear this was Lew Johnson of Conrad Johnson being quoted. I was merely pointing out that a designer with a lot of experience felt there was a difference in capacitors.

HOME: VPI Classic/Grado Reference Master, EVS-modified Oppo BP83, Bryston DAC, Counterpoint 3000/SA-100 modified by Alta Vista, Polk LSi15

TRUCK: Pioneer 8600MP, Soundstream 300SX, pr of Xtant 1001i, Autotek SS490.2, Polk SR6500, Polk MMC6500, pr of Polk MM2084DVC
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    So I upgraded...or maybe should say rebuilt the crossovers of my 1.2TL's; they already have 50-60 hours on them, Mills resistors and Solen caps.

My ears hear more details and definitely more bass.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Was reading on a "Hi-Fi News" review of the Monitor Audio speakers I got and saw this:

"The internal crossover networks incorporate metalised polypropylene film capacitors (not an electrolytic in sight) and laminated iron-core coils. The capacitors were chosen for their sonic superiority over cheaper bipolar electrolytics…"

Just thought I'd share...

Here's the complete review in case anyone cares :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2006
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    So I upgraded...or maybe should say rebuilt the crossovers of my 1.2TL's; they already have 50-60 hours on them, Mills resistors and Solen caps.

My ears hear more details and definitely more bass.

Definately MORE bass on my little 1c's, following the x-over upgrade/rebuild. :D:D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)