Fs: Sda Srs 2

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I have thoroughly enjoyed these speakers but it’s time for me to move on to ribbons.

SOLD to Loud & Clear

Polk SDA SRS 2 speakers. Oak cabinets, late model (’87-’88) with pin/blade IC. Upgraded with RD0194 tweeters. Consecutive serial numbers 2136 & 2137. Specs here.

Included are the original Polk SDA interconnect, original Polk non common ground interconnect with box (box is a little rough), the smooth feet, carpet spikes, and the original manual with Matt Polk's autograph. (Due to a work emergency, I was unable to attend PolkFest so Noel took it with and had Matt sign it). There is some writing in the manual from the original owner who jotted some notes down regarding amp recommendations from Polk.

These speakers encountered some Cat claw damage from the previous owner so I recovered the grills and side panels, documented in this thread. They still look great and the cloth and side panels are still tight.

The crossovers were rebuilt with Solen caps and Mills resistors, and the polyswitches were replaced, documented in this thread. Original binding posts replaced with Cardas retaining the bi-wire capability.

Not much left to do other than polish or listen to these great speakers.

Some evidence of cat claws remains in the right speaker face and on the face of the passive radiator. I took some overexposed shots to make that stand out, they really don't look that bad. There are no tears in the rubber surround and both speakers pass the fluid coupling test. The Oak is in very good condition. SOLD. Local pickup only.
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Damn you Scomp, local, well taken care of modded SRS 2's. I just don't have that kind of fundage right now. Things are a bit slow on my end right now. Again, Damn...Damn...Damn. Well maybe if you keep 'em local they will go up forsale again. Peersool maybe you should snag these.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    naw, keep em and build another planar rig!!!!!!!!

RT1
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Killer deal here! Scomp, you'll be sorry later for selling, mark my words...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2006
    Options
    PM sent.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Killer deal here! Scomp, you'll be sorry later for selling, mark my words...
    madmax

I regretted it from the moment I started writing the add. Only have bank for one system here though.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    PM sent.

PM returned.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited February 2006
    Options
    When Rich first mentioned it, I thought about a trade (Carver&cash for his SRS2's) and I would store them up here. Then reality set in. Aint no fooken way them babies would make it up these stairs. Hard enough getting myself up them without carrying anything.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Congrat on your new speakers Loud and Clear! Rich gave these beauties a lot of love :)
    Carl

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2006
    Options
    schwarcw wrote:
    Congrat on your new speakers Loud and Clear! Rich gave these beauties a lot of love :)
    Thank you, schwarcw. And yes, I gathered that he put a lot of tender love and care into them. I'll honor his efforts by maintaining their current condition for as long as I have them.

I guess now is as good a time as any to begin asking you folks for the money to pay for these. :)

I'll talk to you in a couple of days, Rich.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Sometimes you just gotta move on. No doubt, I will miss them.

Looking forward to your call Aaron. Maybe Norm can drop these off when he goes to pick up some electrostats in your neck of the woods. :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    I regretted it from the moment I started writing the add. Only have bank for one system here though.

You'll get over it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    At least you know they went to another who will care for them!!

Congrats Loud & Clear they really do look great. The sound well, I suspect some late nights in your near future.

RT1
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2006
    Options
    +1 on Dorokusai's comment! As good as they might be, audio is an adventure, not a destination! If I had to choose between any SDA and my Magnepan 1.6's, the Maggies would stay.

Rich - which ribbons do you your sights set on?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    .....audio is an adventure, not a destination
    You'll get over it.

True words, Doug and doro. I find my music tastes changing and went with speakers that sounded better to me playing the music I wanted to hear. Seems all my life I've had to give up something to get another, so life goes on and Aaron gets the opportunity to enjoy the SRS 2's.

I have a pair of Carver AL-III's. My friend Norm has, er had, :D two pairs, AL-III and Al-III +. I liked the ribbons but felt the bass was lacking in OEM form. To improve the bass, Norm added some Infinity Kappa Reference subs to them and we upgraded the wiring to 11 gauge.

I was apprehensive about them sounding lost in my open main level living room, but track 6 and 10 of Patty Larkin's Regrooving the Dream CD put that to rest.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Sounds like a good move for you! Someday I'll have to make a trip to Plainfield. Of course, that would probably not be a good idea as I have just gotten my 2 ch. system to where I wanted it to be! Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2006
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    Sounds like a good move for you! Someday I'll have to make a trip to Plainfield. Of course, that would probably not be a good idea as I have just gotten my 2 ch. system to where I wanted it to be! Doug.

C'mon down. Your safe here. Norm is the guy that will get you spending. :D