McIntosh MVP851 Balanced Outputs CD/ProgScan DVD/DVD-A Player (Current Model)

Options
screename
screename Posts: 321
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
So it looks like my 861 deal will happen and now I have to move these players.
I just bought this a few weeks ago and it is very clean; forgive the dusk on top in one of the pictures, I haven't got to my dusting today.

Anyway, all functions checked by me when I received it and the remote wasn't used by the previous owner as he had a universal so it's like new.

There is one on the Gon for 2050 and one just went on EBAY for 1900. I will sell this for 1800 shipped to CONUS.

Some specs from MCINTOSH.
MANUAL and a STEREOPHILE REVIEW

Here is the MVP841 that's listed here as well. Mcintosh MVP841 DVD/CD Player
Post edited by screename on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Awesome system Screename! Are you moving up to the 861 for the SACD capability? Good luck on your sale! :)
    Carl

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Whao...those have some major drool factor...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • screename
    edited February 2006
    Options
    It's the journey not the destination.....

I don't even own an SACD....yet. I buy as the deals come, and some come faster than others. I like the process of trying alot of stuff and comparing. When this is done I will have owned the entire series.

When I got to thinking about selling the 841 the 851 was sitting here and it occoured to me that I could get the 861 for what I had into those two and since there paid for what the hell. Makes the upgrade bullet a little easier to bite.

I used to be an Onkyo guy and still have a 989 processor/amp. I really like McIntosh though; solid sounding, well built gear that plays very well on my B&W's.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2006
    Options
    But honestly, how would these compare to a Denon 3910? I mean for that price, how much better can it really be?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • screename
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I never heard the Denon so I couldn't say. Interstingly enough they are owned by the same companies: D&M Holdings.

Here's what some folks at AGon thought of the MVP851 VS. Denon 5900: LINK

Here's a very favorable review of the Denon.

I think it depends on budget and use. The Mac's I have listened to so far do music really well and I can't see having 2 players. My use is music then movies but I like to have both represented well. Sources and speakers are important to me and I upgrade power as I can afford it.

Probably not a very difinitive answer but I think it's all subjective. I just dig McIntosh and will probably not go much further up the food chain.
  • screename
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I had to keep researching this thing tonight because of D&M Holdings owning both Denon and Mac and found out some interesting stuff.

"The MVP861 does use the Denon 2900 transport and part of the video section along with the same menus. All else is McIntosh. The main McIntosh board has over 1100 parts on it and features the latest balanced 24/192 dacs and DSD decoders. The power supply features a large 'R' core power transformer with separate regulation lines to each audio, digital and video section.
    Where most SACD player exhibit 1 to 3% distortion at 10 KHz, the 861 is 10 to 12 Db better. Where most players use a small switching power supply the MVP861s large linear supply improves not only the sound but also the picture. "