shipping subs and such....

krabby5
krabby5 Posts: 923
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
just wondering,

I have never shipped anything the size of a subwoofer or receiver...

Who do you all use most often and how do you pack it up so it won't show up to the buyer damaged?
Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
Post edited by krabby5 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2006
    Double box plus the support pieces (usually Styrofoam) that surrounds the item. In Canada, I use the postal system (best rates). My experience and preference coming from the USA is USPS. A lot better that UPS or FedEX. Just my experience.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2006
    Usually I use UPS and insure everything for replacement cost. So far I have not had any problems shipping this way to others.

I have had some items delivered to me from various carriers damaged. What I find interesting is they were all uninsured. It may be coincidence, but I have never had trouble when insured. I'm not sure if they actually are more careful with insured stuff or if it has just been chance.

Just my experiences. :)
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited February 2006
    Generously bubble wrap the product until it fits snugly in the inner box. Fill the gap between the outer box and the inner box w/styrofoam peanuts. The material can get expensive.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2006
    kingtut wrote:
    Generously bubble wrap the product until it fits snugly in the inner box. Fill the gap between the outer box and the inner box w/styrofoam peanuts. The material can get expensive.

This is pretty much what I do too. For bubble wrap, make sure it is the large bubble type and wrap it with the bubbles facing inward. Do at least 3 layers in delicate areas and tape it really good so it stays where you put it.
    When you use peanuts, make sure you put enough in to pack the box tight and tape all the corners, edges of the boxes tight.

I disagree on the materials being expensive. Find a shipping materials distributor/reseller and go straight to them. They Yellow Pages usually has them listed. I bought a HUGE roll of the large bubble wrap more than a year ago and I still have plenty of it. I think I paid $15 for the roll. I've shipped a dozen or so large items. As for peanuts, I never have to buy them. I just save what is sent to me in garbage bags, and reuse them when I ship stuff out. I think I have two garbage bags full in my attic right now.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Not the appropriate area of the Forum for this thread, but...
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/packandship/
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2006
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25324

Another option is let the shipper pack it for you. I think you are automatically insured if there is damage when they pack it. The UPS Store (drop off location) charges around $30 for packing a computer. Most Kinko's have a FedEx shipping counter.

http://www.fedex.com/us/officeprint/packship/packingsvcs.html
    http://www.theupsstore.com/products/proandser.html
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2006
    Whenever possible, keep the manufacturer's boxes and packing material. If not, buy a big roll of bubble wrap at your local box retailer and use boxes designed for transporting electronic gear. U-Haul sells them, for instance. ALWAYS double box.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    P'65,
    Some of the worst jobs I've received have been "Pro" jobs. All they seem to know is "does it fit?" and "peanuts".

EB,
    I've an attic ful of OEM boxes and packing. Either will make a great sale or a helluva bonfire someday.

If you have to buy, 270# double walls are the way to go. And they make double boxing unnecessary on many things. 3M styrofoam sheets (4x8) are great for reinforcing boxes for extra heavy things like speakers.

U-haul is OK, but pricey. Direct from Manufactuers is cheapest, but not always an option. Many metro areas areas have someone like I use:
    http://www.anchorbox.com/

As for peanuts... heavy objects sift right thru them to the bottom/ side. I've found that filling some of those thousands of plastic grocery sacks half-full of peanuts, makes wonderful pads... No sifting thru one of those. Also if item is big and/or heavy, give the shippers an assist and cut some handholes.

And one of the most basic things is often overlooked... bagging or wrapping the item. Whether it's a garbage bag or Saran Wrap, it's important in preventing potential water damage and protecting the finish. I've had a couple "naked" items have their finish marred by being rubbed by peanuts in transit.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2006
    Packing peanuts are all but worthless. Use bubble wrap, heavy filler packing paper, etc. Peanuts are only good for small relatively unbreakable items in a big box. If you have a good fitting box, peanuts will just be an extra expense.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2