Sda Srs

Options
tlarsen77
tlarsen77 Posts: 13
edited February 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi I am new to club polk and was hopeing to get some expert opinion I have been collecting parts for my alolog room so far I have a pair of Marantz 9 Reissues that I just aquired from a gentlmen in Hong Kong I have a Mcintosh C26 for a preamp and a Thorens TD-124 with a SME 3012 and a Grado Sonata I was just offerd a pair of SDA SRS speaker's for $1600 and wanted to know what a good deal was for these speaker's I have a RT 5000 suround sound system in my home theater room and have been a fan of Polk for years but now I have been into analog for the past couple of years and have an old pair of JBL's that I am trying to upgrade and everyone say's that the SDA's have to been given a chance I would apreciate any advise on what people think of the price of the SDA's Thx
Post edited by tlarsen77 on

Comments

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

The price for SDA's depends on how much the buyer is willing to pay and which model they are. A forum member maintains a Polk Audio appreciation website at www.polksda.com (click the ebay auction guide for a list of previous prices). IMO $1600 is getting towards the high side but not unheard of. Do you have any photos you can upload or serial numbers? Keep in mind, that you may be upgrading the eight tweeters at a cost of $48 each. Perhaps you can use this to negotiate a lower price with the seller.

Follow the links on this page for the SRS descriptions: http://www.polkaudio.com/search/older.php
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    edited January 2006
    Options
    One concern to you at this time would be that SRS's can't be used with mono blocks or non-common ground amps unless you can tie the negative outputs together. So, I would try to find out if that is possible with the Marantz amps before buying the SRS's. Great speakers, I hope that they will work for you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Tlarsen77,

Hey are you the same guy who inquired about my 1B's, if so and you are let me know, those speakers were offered here first to club members for a reduced price of 400.00. If you want them let me know as they are sitting at home not being use. They are not the SDA SRS but for 1/4 the cost, they can't be beat. Send me a PM if your interetsed. Sorry for the hi-jack of your thread. Check my feedback here, no problems with sales, and you are local so a audition and pick-up can be arranged.

CRj
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'd say for 1600, those things better be in pristine shape. its the high side of fair market for the SRS's (I'm assuming not 1.2 or 1.2tl) Give them a close look.

I'm the previous owners of the 1B's of which Carlos speaks of, they sound great to, but as F1 said, both are not compatible with non common ground amps. the tieing negative terminals together thing should only be done in the manufacturer of the amp says its kosher(!!!)

either way, good luck in getting some SDA on, you wont be dissapointed with either
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • tlarsen77
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I was told by Polk that they make a transformer to adress the common ground problem and I do apreciate the helpful advise as for the SDA 1B's I am the same person and will send you an email from Audiogon I would like to talk to you and setup a time to audition the SDA's, As for the condition of the SDA SRS system it is exellent with the exception of a bump on the wood on the left rear these are the early original SDA'a I have heard several opinions as to the tweeter's some people at polk say that the 2000's are just fine I gues I will make that choice when they arrive I was thinking of buying the 1B's for rear's in case I want to use these in a home theater setup we will see anyway Thanks again to all for your helpful advise and will keep you posted on how it all comes together Thnks Tlarsen77
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    That's right, Polk did offer an isolation transformer (the AI-1, which is no longer sold) for SDA models with the pin/blade interconnect cable. However, your's has the blade/blade cable and you can NOT use the AI-1. You're only hope is to see if the negative outputs can be tied together.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tlarsen77
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Plan B would be to use a Marantz 170DC sterio amp I have I also have an older Adcom sterio amp as well I just am going to try whatever I can to use the Marantz 9 mono blocks , I gues we will see I have a good friend that is great with building thing's to make things work so I will keep you posted Thnks again for the info Tlarsen77
  • tlarsen77
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Also the person I spoke to at Polk said he thought they still had the transformer's but only time will tell
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2006
    Options
    tlarsen77 wrote:
    Also the person I spoke to at Polk said he thought they still had the transformer's but only time will tell

They don't.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    What part of the transformer will not work with the SRS's didn't you understand and no, they don't have anymore.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Where are you located? Your answer may impact the following...

$1600 for a nice pair of SRS's is not high. We just have some members that see one or two pair go cheaper and think that that is the "norm".

But as said (and repeated) above the amp(s) used must be common ground.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tlarsen77
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I am located in eastern PA and I just received the speaker's today I did call Polk customer service and they are sending me the transformer and the parts needed to build a custom fit for these SDA's they did say that they don't offer it as an assembled unit but do offer all the parts nessasary to build one that will work with the early SDA's so I will post pics as soon as I receive and assemble the fix and back to the price there are a pair of SDA's selling on Audiogon right now for $1800 I only paid $1600 shipped and I think these were worth every penny.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Options
    This should be interesting. Perhaps this is the Ken special with the extra wire attached.

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Ken's special?? So, is there a "workaround" to use non common ground amps with blade-blade SDA's?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman