XBOX 360 - HD DVD external drive

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited February 2006 in Video Games
So, Gates just announced today that MSFT will sell HD-DVD external drive as an add-on to 360. I guess I am glad I wasn't waiting for an XBOX 360 with internal HD-DVD player, after all.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9995/Bill-Gates-Announces-External-HD-DVD-Drive-for-Xbox-360/
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• datalogik
    datalogik Posts: 35
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Meh, it's all about Blu-ray. :D :cool:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Woohoo more external devices. Lame.

Thats okay, anyone who uses their video game console as their DVD player is not a true HT enthusiast.
  • datalogik
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Woohoo more external devices. Lame.

Thats okay, anyone who uses their video game console as their DVD player is not a true HT enthusiast.

Not everyone can afford a HT system, so a gaming console is an alternative.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2006
    Options
    datalogik wrote:
    Not everyone can afford a HT system, so a gaming console is an alternative.

? Have you SEEN what the 360's cost?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Good point, Bob! MSFT is on track to ship 4.5 Millions of 360 unit by June '06. Now that they missed the sale projection of the games by a wide margin, I am sure those who haven't bought theirs will take their time.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • datalogik
    edited January 2006
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote:
    ? Have you SEEN what the 360's cost?

Yup, $299 core - $399 premium. [E-bay price gouging prices don't count] As opposed to thousands of dollars on a HT system.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2006
    Options
    if this is the case, i don't even want an xbox. i was hoping they'd upgrade future 360's to ship with the new internal drive. external means more money out of pocket. eff BILL GATES........did i just say that? ;)

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • StopherJJ1980
    StopherJJ1980 Posts: 267
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I agree. Sounds like a marketing scheme to me. Come out with a brand new platform but without HD-DVD? Then make everyone pay (which Im sure will be a hefty fee) for a separate add-on? If I bought the 360 Id be pissed.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2006
    Options
    I wouldn't have minded using the 360 as a HDdvd player but after I compared the 480p dvd player to my Panasonic...the 360 picture looked markedly inferior

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited January 2006
    Options
    You guys do realize that probally 80% of the people buying this console dont even know what HD DVD is... much less Blu Ray...

Heck they probally dont even know what SACD or DVDA is... much less HDCD -

Get my point? lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well I bet the blu-ray player in the PS3 with proper blu-ray content will still blow away any 480p player out there. If the console comes in at less than a $1000 then it should be a cheap way for early adopters to get into blu-ray since the first stand alone blu-rays will be more expensive.

Or we could just wait like two years, and the quality players will drop in price for us mere mortals...
  • cheddar
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Almost forgot, the PS3 is supposed to be 1080p. The xbox360 only does 720p. So unless they upgrade the box too, it will always have a slightly inferior HD picture on the new 1080p TVs especially since the new DVD HD formats are 1080p...
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2006
    Options
    ain't no po folk gonna be able to afford a $1000 gaming console. bad pricing strategy. $500 or less or fuggetabouddit.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cheddar
    edited January 2006
    Options
    At under $500 it will be worth it just to get the blu-ray player. The hardware makers always sell the consoles for less than it takes to produce them. Their loss is our gain if it happens...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Lets bet that Blu Ray and HD DVD dont even last.

*cough* SACD AND DVDA *cough*

It wont be any different... ;)

It'll have bad marketing, no one caring, no one knowing and another failed format...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cheddar
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Well something's gotta feed all these HDTVs people bought last Christmas...480i looks terrible on them, 480p is passable, but people can't live off broadcast HD forever.
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2006
    Options
    cheddar wrote:
    Well something's gotta feed all these HDTVs people bought last Christmas...480i looks terrible on them, 480p is passable, but people can't live off broadcast HD forever.
    agreed.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited February 2006
    Options
    cheddar wrote:
    Almost forgot, the PS3 is supposed to be 1080p. The xbox360 only does 720p. So unless they upgrade the box too, it will always have a slightly inferior HD picture on the new 1080p TVs especially since the new DVD HD formats are 1080p...

Lest we forget that Sony did not, even once, mention the PS3 during CES. Bad sign? I would tend to think so. All they talked about was the PSP and the wonderful tricks it can and will do. Sounds like they are having massive problems with their cell processor. A mock up showing 1080p and a real live box are two totally different things. And I really hope that the PS3 will not be in the 1000 price range. It will either kill the system or set a terrible precedent.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited February 2006
    Options
    PS3 will be $500 at the upper upper end. And they don't mention at CES because gamers don't care about CES, they care about E3 which is only a few months away.... they pump up the PSP at CES because of ridiculous UMD sales and DS competition.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.